This time it’s going to happen

zollybosher
zollybosher
08/09/2018 6:42 pm

Hello All

Well many many years ago I bought an acoustic and well sadly I couldn’t for many reasons ( mainly young kids) get to grips

so after a fair bit of research I joined this site and along with my start up Yamaha F310 I am back in the fold

My Gosh ! I can’t believe how hard it is getting my old fingers to play without hitting the other strings the one I am really struggling with is 6th E 3rd fret I just cannot seem to hit this I end up in all sorts of contortions and hunched up

Please please reassure me this is temporary

is their something I am missing ? Or is this one of the harder frets to hold I don’t seem to have a problem with the other strings. It’s just a stretch to be on top of the string. I seem to be reaching to plant my finger tip so that it doesn’t catch I know the F310 has a smaller neck but hey my little pinkies and my wrist still ache

So come on give an old man some love here . It will get better won’t it ? And if you have any excercises great

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
08/09/2018 10:46 pm

Unless you have some physical disability factoring in a flexibility or reach impediment, e.g. healed broken finger or painful arthritis, you'll cross that 'stream' soon enough to look back and self-deprecatingly chuckle to yourself at why you even considered a 'puddle' an obstacle at all.

With your reference, you'll have to be more specific. Is it fingering a particular chord formation requiring the fretting of the 6th string at the third fret, i.e. Open G, as taught by Lisa in her lesson?

Or....?

If it's G and you're forming it with fingers 2, 3 & 4 as inferred by your reference to your "little pinkies", (plural ??), then IME it will feel more awkward because we are more used to and naturally inclined generally to use our stronger fore, index and ring fingers rather than the little finger alias 'pinky' for tasks generally, including forming many of those initial open chord formations.

If you've played previously using the more common (IME) conventional open G fingering and subliminal memory has retained some recall that motor skill to be unlearned, that feeling of awkwardness can be accenuated.

Regardless, IME it just takes time and (repeated) application to build up strength and dexterity in the little finger, but we notice it more initially when learning to play guitar because we're challenged with overcoming in mind and body, its pre-conditioning to its normal role as the lazy or idle finger in daily tasks otherwise.

Watch the lesson, presumably Lisa's, a few times if necessary paying particular attention to chord formation detail, suggested finger and thumb placement, laydown sequence and timing sounding the target strings individually and alternatively collectively to ensure you are sounding them cleanly. Hasten as slowly as necessary.

In other words, don't be impatient with yourself. It'll take as long as it takes. Keep at it, with breaks to avoid frustration of reinforcing failure when your attention wanes. Once you are sure you understand the technique, persist with time and repetition to the objective and you will discover accomplishment the reward. If tending to wordy or verbose rather than a characteristic texted platitudinal one liner rexponse, I'm not articulating hypothetically here, but from my personal experience.

Old age - you weren't specific (< 50 isn't "old" as applicable to markedly impinging on learning, again IME), will as a rule present encumberances to general dexterity and rate of acquiring motor skills, but should also come with significant advantages. i.e. patience, discipline, determination and wisdom all of which affect all important application and understanding. Derived comparing then and now. FTR I can play both as in either or at will, open G fingerings instinctively, changing seamlessly and alternatively now acoustic or electric (& which fingerboard/neck) regardless. I'm older (60s) btw, been with GT since Feb 18, kicked off in Nov 17. So if I can, you can too. As you can see, it doesn't take long.

A personal observation I don't ignore. Hand size or more accurately finger length can be advantageous, or not. I certainly wish I had spider fingers. But I don't. But that said, I just get on with it with smaller hands and fingers and I manage. But I'll never have an easy five fret reach. I find inspiration of what is achievable from admirably accomplished players like Jack Thammarat who doesn't have the large hands, finger length or flexibility of ectomorphs like Malmsteen, Vai -with an extra digit too, Berry, Atkins, or Hendrix all do/did RIP. Most everyone not so gifted does find stretching difficult initially, especially using muscles in fingers that previously haven't had to do much more than just be. IMPE, a correctly sized neck and fingerboard fit is more critical for smaller hands. That said, Yamaha's F310 is beginner orientated with a shorter scale, narrow string spacing and medium nut, so it's an easy player for smaller to average (medium) sized hands like my APX600 is.

In closing, equally applicable to your request and current specific difficulty, in my journey thus far, IMPE tenacity is the singular most important skill to master in effectively learning guitar. With it, you'll get there. Remember to enjoy the journey, all of it, including the obstacles. Cheers.

# 2
zollybosher
zollybosher
08/10/2018 3:24 pm

Well thanks for that reply- yes a few linguistic mistakes there. My “problem” is being able to arch my 3rd from left finger enough to hold down the 3 rd fret on the 6 th open G no matter how I seem to “attack” this string and from what angle some part of my finger stops the A from vibrating

It seems as though in order to hold down I have to be some contortionist- I have been practicing for 3 weeks now - not every day @ 30-40 mins every other day and whilst the rest of notes. (I am not even thinking about chords yet until I know I can nail the basics). I have to reach right round under the neck and this then pulls my arm out of shape.

I suppose it’s a learning curve but one that at the moment is proving difficult and this is the only the beginning.

Many years ago I remember having the same kind of stumbling block and “gave up” telling myself not everyone is cut out to be a rock star.

Unfortunately my mind is still trying to convince me otherwise. Thanks for the words of encouragement . I will stick at it and maybe, soon I hope my finger will hit the spot time after time then I can move on

😀

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/13/2018 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: zollybosher

Well thanks for that reply- yes a few linguistic mistakes there. My “problem” is being able to arch my 3rd from left finger enough to hold down the 3 rd fret on the 6 th open G no matter how I seem to “attack” this string and from what angle some part of my finger stops the A from vibrating

It seems as though in order to hold down I have to be some contortionist- I have been practicing for 3 weeks now - not every day @ 30-40 mins every other day and whilst the rest of notes. (I am not even thinking about chords yet until I know I can nail the basics). I have to reach right round under the neck and this then pulls my arm out of shape.

I suppose it’s a learning curve but one that at the moment is proving difficult and this is the only the beginning.

Many years ago I remember having the same kind of stumbling block and “gave up” telling myself not everyone is cut out to be a rock star.

Unfortunately my mind is still trying to convince me otherwise. Thanks for the words of encouragement . I will stick at it and maybe, soon I hope my finger will hit the spot time after time then I can move on

😀

This is kind of a 'standard' answer when people feel that their hands aren't working with them; Django Reinhardt. He lost the use of his ring and pinky fingers in a fire. Not only didn't it slow him down, he is regarded as one of the great guitar players of the 20th century.

It's not a matter of finding a reason you can't do it, but finding a way that you can.

Over the last year, I've whined about the trevails of my injured wrist and then indext finger (sprain and tendon pinch respectively). I've been playing since the early 80's and have been a pretty decent player. Injuries set you back and in some ways, you have to relearn how to play something. And speaking of 'Something'...I've recently been on a jag of learning acoustic versions of songs just because. This last weekend, with my index finger not totally back to A grade, I decided I wanted to work up the Beatles 'Something'. Lot's of variations of Open C. The chord that has vexed me most with the index tendon pinch. I can fret it very sloppily. I get buzzes and flatted strings. Not awesome. Open C used to be a walk in the park. It will be again but I have to relearn my hand to fret the chord cleaner.

My finger will eventually come back to normal but it's teaching me to be patient given that it never used to be an issue until now.

We all have it at some time; that thing we can't do. I've played as a decently skilled metal 'shredder' (I'm 53, so that was galaxy far, far away now...) and always kept the ability to be a rock solid rhythm player and never really feared trying something new. But.....Lack of fear does not equal the speed with which I would learn something. Some are harder than others.

Patience is definately your ally. You'll be frustrated some times, it happens. But no matter how long or how good, there is that thing that you'll try that seems out of reach. Up and until you've practices and kept at it and did not totally demoralize yourself.

# 4
007aliaman
007aliaman
12/22/2018 5:31 am

a great product with neat and stylish design... absolutely great!!

https://getsnaptubeapk.com/

https://installcartoonhdd.com/

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.