Hello from BATON ROUGE, LA

tphil58
tphil58
07/29/2018 8:33 pm

I just signed on to this teaching site to learn to play acoustic guitar...literally! My question is, what sort of acoustic guitar, brand, string type, etc., should I purchase to give me the best and most rewarding results? I see advertisements a from Keith Urban that look pretty tempting, but I'm not well versed enough to understand what to get. I want to be. So, I'm asking for advice .

I 've been considering doing this for a long time, but now it's time to stop considering.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/29/2018 11:21 pm

It a minefield of choice today isn't it?

Short KISS meat 'n taters no fail answer?

Pick [u]any guitar from Yamaha's acoustic range[/u] within your budget which fits [u]your special interest genre[/u] but most importantly, [u]fits [/u][u]your bodily characteristics[/u]. Can't go wrong.

Of course it doesn't have to be a Yamaha. Plenty of first guitar alternatives from Fender, Ibanez, et al. But KISS, that brand is a no fail yet affordable, dependable tool with decent quality components and tone at any chosen price point, and with wide resale appeal.

Elaborating

By fit I specifically mean torso & arm length, hand size & finger length and type. A guitar being comfortable to fret is in my view, the most important aspect of a first guitar IMV, as it will minimise frustration and encourage positivity facilitating progress. Watch Lisa McCormack's tutorial on fit.

The [u]objective[/u] of that first guitar is to facilitate progess and ease on the learning curve, as the novitiate path will present its own discouraging "how long does it learn to play" plateau once the novelty of newness and initial excitement fade.

Hence for many of us, their first guitar is the arguably the singularly most important guitar we will ever buy. But that doesn't mean it has to be expensive, the most prestigious brand or even near ultimate in tone. As we develop, our preferences will alter with that accumulated skill and knowledge when most of us will buy a second, frequently third or more instruments.

# 2
tphil58
tphil58
07/30/2018 12:29 am

I do so appreciate your reply. You sound as if you know from experience. Maybe a teacher. In any case, thank you. I will take your advice to heart.

tphil58

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/30/2018 2:29 am

Not a guitar teacher, but formal and practical instructional experience with qualifications in a number of similiarly demanding dynamic fields of endeavour.

Also derived from the path travelled then and now experience.

There's no "wrong" choice which is unremediable.

IMV the three most important criteria to apply are 1. do it, 2. do it now, and 3. most importantly, enjoy it. Everything you can do to enhance the natural occurrence of the latter is invaluable, because the path is littered with abandoned starts. As with any activity, even the most expensive tool won't actually do the job itself. That's up to the workman. But having the right tool for the intended task available removes frustration and unnecessary obstacles to progress.

I kicked off with a Yamaha then equivalent of a full size CS40. Many years ago now before the likes of GT or YT or the plethora of instrument choice at unimaginable prices available today. Although I probably couldn't have afforded it back then, a contemporary APX600 or similar would have been a godsend in comparison.

18 months or so later, my first electric taught me how hard I'd made it for myself learning on the high actioned thick wide neck. When I returned and chose my first guitar, from the experience and knowing the direction I wanted to travel in I bought an electric, and from the experience one far better suited to what I wanted to accomplish then and the short term future, although it serves me even longer term as is. I realised pretty quickly that I also needed and wanted an acoustic too: i.e. "America", "The Eagles", "The Pretenders", "The Beatles". Although there are unquestionably other choices available with similar characteristics, I wasn't going to vascillate. I knew my budget wasn't going to extend to a Taylor or Martin, nor did it need to. Although Cort made the final cut either or shortlist - I really like their product which IMO punches way above its weight at every pricepoint, Yamaha's APX600 met all my requirements, its predecessors the 500III & II were well proven and regarded, and I trusted the brand from experience.

In hindsight, unencumbered by clouded vision of ownership pride, I still love everything about playing mine from its short scale, narrower nut and string spacing through body size and ultimately, tone. When my playing can demonstrate it worthwhile, I may reward myself with something grander. As a home studio cum stage intimate gig guitar, the APX600 could have been personally tailored for me. That's how it fits me and feels. YMMV. I currently own and play two electro-acoustics and five solid body electrics of varying config. GL. Enjoy the journey. Great place to start it.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.