Fundamentals 1 and 2

JRoc_723
JRoc_723
06/26/2018 6:36 pm

So, I've made my way though 90% of Fundamentals 1 and decided to sneak a peek at Fundamentals 2.[br][br]Basically, it suggested that I should have perfected Fundamentals 1 first. Which I most certainly have not. Chord changes are...sloppy, so playing along can be a challenge for some of the later songs. (Fmaj to Gmaj or B7 to C#minor are a real doozey for me.)[br][br]While I know that it's always wise to go through the fundamentals of any skill, should I be holding myself back and getting better at Funds1 before exploring Funds2?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
06/27/2018 2:09 am

I had written a lengthier response, but decided to forego it for these two to the point paragraphs.

If you haven't met the demonstrated practical skills competency objectives of Fundamentals 1, you're not 'holding yourself back'. Ergo your time would be best spent helping yourself 'move forward' by doing so.

IME&V there's nothing 'wrong' with applying a parallel path non-linear approach per se, as long as you're not misusing it as a titillating distraction to avoid the less exciting necessary repeticious slog until rote.

# 2
SlowButSteady
SlowButSteady
06/29/2018 8:14 pm

JRoc_723, it may be helpful to read (or re-read) what Lisa wrote under the "Hey, you're not a beginner anymore!" lesson:

"It is not necessary that you absolutely master every single note, song, chord, or technique that has been presented in Guitar Fundamentals 1.

What IS important though, is that you UNDERSTAND all the concepts, that you make careful note of all the tips and pointers, and that you continue to be your own wise and watchful coach as you get better and better at playing guitar."

I teach lessons, although on a different instrument, and if I didn't allow my students to proceed until they played everything just as well as Segovia, or Lukather, or McCormick, most of them would get frustrated and want to quit.

There is a middle path, and it's different for everyone. In a situation such as this, with video lessons, it is up to you to decide when you have it good enough so that you may move on in the lessons. You will know if you are moving along too quickly. The fact that you are asking this question is, I believe, a good sign that you are conscientious about doing this the right way.

I also am finding it challenging to smoothly change from chord to chord. I was talking about this with a friend of mine just the other day. He teaches and plays guitar professionally. I said, "You know what's hard to do on a guitar? Changing cleanly from chord to chord." He replied, "Yes! Non-guitarists think it must be easy, because they see so many people doing it, but it isn't easy. I believe that it takes about a thousand times for it to get into your muscle memory."

You might try taking a chord change that's giving you trouble, and then get your metronome clicking, and just go back and forth. For example, you might put your metronome at 60 beats per minute and then play:

F (2-3-4)

G (2-3-4)

F (2-3-4)

G (2-3-4)

F (2-3-4)

G (2-3-4)

F (2-3-4)

G (2-3-4), etc.

Just strumming each chord on beat 1, and then letting it ring for counts 2, 3, and 4, and then playing the other chord, back and forth. It might be a good idea to use beat 4 to make your move to the next chord. At that tempo, you would be doing, what-- fifteen changes per minute? Do that for ten minutes and you'll have done 150 changes. Do that every day for a week and you'll have hit your 1,000 times. If 60 beats per minute is too fast, go slower; find the tempo at which you can nail it. The goal is not speed, but accuracy. The speed comes after you get the accuracy.

In any given tune you might have three or four chord changes that give you trouble. Well, make little exercises (as above) out of those spots, and within a couple of weeks you'll have that issue solved.

When I have a particularly troublesome chord, where some notes aren't sounding, I'll do what Justin suggests, which is: "strum--- arpeggiate--- strum," arpeggiating meaning to play each string individually, like a very slow strum, to make sure each note is ringing. If there's a note that goes "thub," fix it (Lisa explains very clearly how to do this) and go again.

I hope this helps. A ringing, open chord on a guitar is a beautiful thing!

# 3
bhmneyla

bhmneyla

08/28/2018 2:01 pm

I do so appreciate your reply.

Whatsapp Messenger Hotstar

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2018 1:54 pm

What a terrific community. Your fellow guitar-learners and players are offering up some super first-hand advice here!

Bravo, everybody!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
jmhgb
jmhgb
12/02/2018 12:32 pm

Thanks for this advise!

I started last october on this course and I am having a blast with it, but not so sure when to move on to the next lesson, and the next, and...

So this is good advice, I wil defenitely start the metronome up...

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/02/2018 6:42 pm

No one has to practice just 'one thing' or one lesson.

I suggest you find the time or make the time to practice multiple things/lessons/drills. Emphasize those areas you need to improve. Scales, chords/triads, new songs, review of old songs, GT structured lessons... I practice them all and more during my practice sessions.

There are two very important considerations, though. One, there will always be guitarists better than you and guitarists not as good as you. There will always be guitarists who learn blazingly fast and those who are slow to get stuff right (raising my hand here ). [u]It's not a competition[/u]. Two, have fun. None of the practice time and lesson study is worthwhile if you don't have fun when you pick up a guitar.

Good luck... and have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
manXcat
manXcat
12/02/2018 9:30 pm

I echo everything john said above, reiterating IME & O, the two most important points.

It shouldn't be a competition.

Enjoying, deriving satisfaction and stimulation from every part of the journey including occasional adversity is vital.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.