To PICK or not to PICK

roryoflynn1
Full Access
roryoflynn1
Full Access
05/20/2018 8:11 pm

Hi, have started on the basic course with Lisa, liking it a lot...But one question, I really enjoy the feel and sound I get when not using a pick, i find the pick sort of clumsy and "gets between me" and the feel of the guitar.....do you think it is ok to progress through the course without using a pick?

I am at the very early stages, just learning the first song Downtown with simple C Major and Simple G Major

# 1
kvsealegs
kvsealegs
05/21/2018 10:54 am

From one beginner to another, I think that ultimately what makes you happy, and most likely to pick up and play the guitar is how you should predominately play. But, if you notice, most accomplished guitarists play a multitude of different ways. You will find that different tones will emerge from the guitar using different kind of picks. There a light, medium, and hard picks in a variety of shapes, materials, and some may utilize household items, to produce a unique tone. There are thumb picks, slick picks, speed picks, Jazz picks, even Jason Mraz picks. (lol) Picks are relatively cheap if you look around, I found a site that sells them for around a dollar each. I will often play without a pick, but my fingernails wear away quicker than even my softest picks, which can effect your accuracy when playing notes individually.

I think if you like the softer tone produced by your fingers, you should try a softer pick, and spend a little time accustoming yourself to the pick. There are a lot of things you can do with a pick that would be hard to accomplish fingerstyle. But, fingerstyle is a whole 'nuther realm of playing. There is classical fingerstyle, Travis picking variations, and likely more than that.

You might watch a few lessons by Karen Armstrong, she plays fingerstyle and you may pick up a few techniques by seeing how she plays.

The guitar is a journey. Try a few different paths.

# 2
roryoflynn1
Full Access
roryoflynn1
Full Access
05/21/2018 7:33 pm

thank you, that makes a lot of sense...i will continue pickless for a while and lean into it as i go along

# 3
marshalljhill99
marshalljhill99
05/21/2018 8:42 pm

as another guitar beginner, I found that at first I didn't like using a pick because it felt clumsy, like you said, but then i started using it more and more and the more i use it the easier it becomes to use, and I can start to do more complex picking patterns, eg some of the ones in Dale Turner's Campfire Chords with Character lessons, and also find lead playing gets easier.

It's just a question of practising until it starts feeling natural

Still do fingerpicking quite a lot though, and love the versatility and the different sounds you can get

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/22/2018 12:42 pm

My Beginners Courses have you using a pick partially to help your hand learn to develop aim when going for the string or strings you want to hit. Using a pick opens up a lot of cool sound and rhythm possibilities that are simply different (not better than or worse than) things you can do with just your fingers on the strings.

i would recommend using the pick for the exercises in the course, but as the others said, feel free to simultaneously explore additional techniques that feel or sound more true to your heart.

The pick is a good tool to know how to use, but it’s it doesn’t end up being your favored technique as you become more advanced, that’s perfectly fine.

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/15/2019 5:01 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

My Beginners Courses have you using a pick partially to help your hand learn to develop aim when going for the string or strings you want to hit. Using a pick opens up a lot of cool sound and rhythm possibilities that are simply different (not better than or worse than) things you can do with just your fingers on the strings.

i would recommend using the pick for the exercises in the course, but as the others said, feel free to simultaneously explore additional techniques that feel or sound more true to your heart.

The pick is a good tool to know how to use, but it’s it doesn’t end up being your favored technique as you become more advanced, that’s perfectly fine.

I know this is a zombie thread but I was searching around because while I was taking your lessons and just fnished up the simple chords section, I noticed my left hand seemed to find the chords faster when I was using my right thumb, don't ask me why--perhaps less mental resources. That said, I dont like the tone so I'm going to try some random thumb picks and see if I can get away with those...

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.