Simple A Minor

skhyatt
skhyatt
02/12/2018 5:16 am

Going through your lessons. I am learning the simple A Minor. I am having a heck of a time with my finger placement. It takes me a while to finally get my fingers in place without that pluck pluck sound, but I cannot take my fingers off and then put them back in the right place consistently. Any thoughts? Driving me crazy! lol

Thanks

Stan

# 1
chrispike306
chrispike306
02/12/2018 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: skhyatt

Going through your lessons. I am learning the simple A Minor. I am having a heck of a time with my finger placement. It takes me a while to finally get my fingers in place without that pluck pluck sound, but I cannot take my fingers off and then put them back in the right place consistently. Any thoughts? Driving me crazy! lol

Thanks

Stan

I'm by no means an expert in this, i've been running through the foundations course for about 8 months now. That effortless "fingers go exactly where they should" thing that happens in the videos takes a lot of practice. After 8 months I can do it with most open chords, but C still eludes me.

Keep practicing and playing! It'll get easier!

# 2
adambroderick
adambroderick
02/14/2018 2:11 pm

As a "Re-Beginner" these are all hard to move back and forth. I am about 2 months in and struggle to get up to song speed with the "easy songs" on the chord changes. As Chris said, C chord is a challenge and took me two weeks to get that one. I have been working on a consistant F chord for about 3 weeks now. and can only get that one about 75% of the time.

The only advice I have- is to learn the chords the right away and not the "cheater" Utube versions. The investment should payoff. I learned to isolate my troubled chord in a song, take the chord before it and go back and forth for multiple time over days. Rinse/Lather/Repeat.

And yes - everyone of us wish we had started many, many years before we did.

# 3
skhyatt
skhyatt
02/23/2018 3:51 pm

So the problem I'm having and I'm sure I'm not the first, is when I have, say my middle finger on a string, and strum, sounds good. As soon as I put say my index finger down on a string, I can see it moving my middle finger out of position and I mute the string. What exercises can I do to overcome this?

# 4
travis.richard.smith
travis.richard.smith
10/27/2018 1:13 am

I’m responding to bump this thread back up. I am having the same problem. With my middle finger in place I can’t seem to put my index finger in the right place without my middle finger muting the second string. I’ve changed the angle of my hand and fingers and still can’t figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated.

# 5
travis.richard.smith
travis.richard.smith
10/30/2018 11:50 am
Originally Posted by: travis.richard.smith

I’m responding to bump this thread back up. I am having the same problem. With my middle finger in place I can’t seem to put my index finger in the right place without my middle finger muting the second string. I’ve changed the angle of my hand and fingers and still can’t figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quoting myself because the day after I posted this I picked up my guitar and my fingers were able to go to the correct place more easily and without muting the other strings. I think it was just a matter of practice and my fingers gradually getting used to pressing the strings.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/30/2018 5:26 pm

Quoting myself because the day after I posted this I picked up my guitar and my fingers were able to go to the correct place more easily and without muting the other strings. I think it was just a matter of practice and my fingers gradually getting used to pressing the strings.

I like that you both reached out to others for guidance but did not stop trying. Awesome.

That's the thing too, we all have things our fingers can't do. Even when you've played for a long time or over the last year on the heals of a sprained wrist and left index finger, getting back up to speed. There are still chords that I never had a problem with that I want to get back up to speed.

Keep at it!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.