G#m and F#m

kerwynjones2
kerwynjones2
02/03/2018 1:42 am

Two questions:

1. I am nearing the end of Fundamentals 1. I realize that Lisa recommends the modified G#m and F#M because she has not formally taught the barre chords yet. However, I tried the barre chords and found them easier for myself than the modified versions. I struggle to get the fingering with the modified versions. Is there any advantage to becoming adept at the modified versions or can I feel free to skip learning these?

2. I am nearing the end of the Funudamentals1. How good should I be at all of the songs in this last section before moving on to Fundamentals 2? Ie....I can play them fairly well at a slower speed than what Lisa plays them but I still struggle to keep up with her. Should I wait until I can play well with her first?

Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/03/2018 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: kerwynjones2

Is there any advantage to becoming adept at the modified versions or can I feel free to skip learning these?

[/quote]

Yes, that's fine for now. But make time to go back and gradually work on those chords. They will become a useful part of your skill set as long as you play guitar. If you simply continue to practice regularly you should see graudal improvement.

[quote=kerwynjones2]

I am nearing the end of the Funudamentals1. How good should I be at all of the songs in this last section before moving on to Fundamentals 2?

As a general standard, as long as you undertstand the idea being presented & can do the skill being taught, then you can go forward. You should always make time to go back over all the lessons until you can do them up to speed. But as long as you can work that into your practice schedule, then it's okay to go forward as well to keep things interesting & fun!

At anytime if you get overwhelmed, then you should take a step back & just focus on improving & refining your physical playing skills over past lessons. It's too easy & tempting sometimes to just keep looking at new stuff! :) But your mind & hands need time to get those things under your fingers.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
kerwynjones2
kerwynjones2
02/03/2018 8:52 pm

Thanks Christopher for the advice. Much appreciated.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.