How to Hold Acoustic Guitar

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/29/2018 9:47 pm

Hey Guys, [br][br]I am a relatively new guitar player and I am currently studying Guitar Fundamentals 2. I am currently playing with an acoustic guitar and I play with the acoustic guitar resting on my right knee. However, I began playing with both feet firmly on the ground but recently I have started crossing my right leg over my left leg when playing. Is this acceptable or is this a bad habit I should stop? Please see attached picture below as an example of how I play. If anyone could advise I would be very grateful. [br][br]Kind Regards Tim [br][br]

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
01/30/2018 7:45 pm

Hi t.walker.12,

I don't think this is a big deal. Plenty of guitarists learn the instrument while sitting down, with knees crossed, etc.

The more important thing is to determine whether your shoulders, back, wrists, and hands are comfortable. Those are the main parts that can get strained while holding/playing guitar.

Alos, just make sure, when you're learning, that you don't crane your neck over the guitar, play in a relaxed position.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
02/01/2018 3:18 pm

Hi Guitar Tricks, [br][br]Thanks for the swift response. [br][br]That is really helpful and has put my mind at ease. [br][br]Thanks again. [br][br]Kind Regards

Tim

# 3
jayhoward2008
jayhoward2008
02/06/2018 9:36 am

Hi Tim,

I am a holistic health and movement counselor who recently got back into playing guitar after many years of not playing. While from a musical point of view that may be a fine way of sitting, it is a postural disaster as it forces your pelvis forward, creates lower back pressure and overall messes with your spinal and pelvic alignment. It may lead to back or knee pain if done long-term. Here is the link to a study that was done in Korea on this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242947/

Cheers and good luck with your guitar studies, however you sit!

# 4
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
03/02/2018 10:48 am

HI Jay, [br][br]Thanks for this! [br][br]Apologies for the late response. [br][br]That is very interesting indeed and funnily enough recently my back has been giving me a bit of trouble when playing, so I think i am going to try and keep both feet flat on the ground.

Thanks

Tim

# 5
spiderbgood
spiderbgood
03/02/2018 7:13 pm

Thar is a book " the principles of correct practice for guitar" by Jamie Andreas you might look at.

# 6
jimcroisannt
jimcroisannt
03/05/2018 9:32 am
Originally Posted by: jayhoward2008

Hi Tim,

I am a holistic health and movement counselor who recently got back into playing guitar after many years of not playing. While from a musical point of view that may be a fine way of sitting, it is a postural disaster as it forces your pelvis forward, creates lower back pressure and overall messes with your spinal and pelvic alignment. It may lead to back or knee pain if done long-term. Here is the link to a study that was done in Korea on this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242947/

Cheers and good luck with your guitar studies, however you sit!

This is really good to know. I've been having some back pain after playing too, and I think this might be part of my problem. Thanks for the tips, jayhoward2008

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.