Barring the high E and B

Gdk11b
Gdk11b
11/09/2017 11:26 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted your guys' opinions on what you think is a better technique regarding playing on, or fretting, the E and B strings. In certain instances (in my case playing 'Everyday I Have The Blues'), I will bar the high E and B string when I have to play say the 6th fret on the b string followed by the 6th fret of the e string, or vice versa. It tends to work out pretty well especially if the following notes are on one of the two strings (such as 6th on the b, 6th on the e, and then 9 on the b). Is this generally considered more or less effective than just fretting regularly?

In my opinion, it helps me hit those notes more clearly but then is harder to get out of that position to move to a note on the d or g string. Just wanted your guys' take on the matter as I would like to make sure I am practicing the "correct" technique...

If I did a bad job at explaining the question let me know!

Thanks

# 1
johnv31552
johnv31552
11/15/2017 8:45 pm

GDK< I think you answered your own question actually, and here's what I mean. For a long time I always played a three finger G chord because it worked for me. I learned to play a 4 finger g chord so that switching to a C add 9 would be easier. You seem to be TOO concerned with the "correct" technique. If you can hit the notes the way you want to then that's your technique and it works, so keep on doing it. Lots of pickers play G chords different, barre chords different E chords different. Its all about what works for you. Hope this helps!! There ain't no better technique!! It's your technique.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.