Memorizing Fretboard Notes

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
08/05/2017 2:06 pm

Hi, everyone. Hope all is doing well.

Now I know that eventually, one has to memorize the notes (places) on the fretboard by heart. What do you think it's the best way to do so?

Thank you.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2017 2:30 pm

Doing great, thanks! Hope you are too.

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Now I know that eventually, one has to memorize the notes (places) on the fretboard by heart. What do you think it's the best way to do so?

Yes, absolutely must have knowledge.

One of the best ways is to use the octave method.

First learn the pattern of the notes on the E string:

E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]B |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]G |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]D |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]A |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]E |-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|

[br]Then, visualize octaves of the same letter on the E, D, & B strings. For example, like this for E, F & G:

E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]B |---|---|---|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|[br]G |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]D |---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|[br]A |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]E |-F-|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[br]Next, learn the pattern of the notes on the A string:

E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]B |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]G |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]D |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]A |---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|[br]E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[br]Then, visualize octaves of the same letter on the A, G & (high) E strings. For example, like this for A, B, & C:

E |---|---|---|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|[br]B |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]G |---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|---|---|---|[br]D |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]A |---|-B-|-C-|---|---|---|---|---|---|[br]E |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[br]So you can learn the pattern of the notes on two strings an then repeat the pattern in octaves from there.

However, in my experience, the biggest single problem is that students don't really have a grasp on the system of musical letters in the first place. So start with that basic system.

A - (A#) - B - C - (C#) - D - (D#) - E - F - (F#) - G - (G#) - A

The point is that there is only one pattern of letters to learn. Then you apply it across the fretboard.

Make sense?! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
08/05/2017 5:06 pm

Hi, Christopher. Always to the rescue, much to my happiness. :)

I'm not sure I fully understand. Now, I am familiar with the octave theory, but with this, should I name the notes one by one for like 5 minutes daily? And should I start with A, then move to A# and so on?

# 3
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/10/2017 7:14 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Hi, everyone. Hope all is doing well.

Thank you.

I would recommend to go "note by note".

1. Try to work on that every day for about 5min.

2. Start with the "normal notes" like A B C D E F G (1 day for 1 Note)

3. Don't use the open positions. So make sure to get the notes from the 1. fret until the 12. fret (so every note will appear once per string)

4. Go up and down the string starting with 6. string and find the note (for example all the "A" on Monday) So start at the 6. string and find the A, after you found it go to the 5. string, then to the 4. string, 3. 2. 1. string and then all the way back.

5. As mentioned above do that for 5mins just for that note

6. The next day go with another note (it will get a lot easier after a while - trust me)

Do this for 4 weeks straight and you will find yourself getting MUCH better at finding the notes in "real time"

Bonus:

After you get better at this: start to set a metronome at a pace that ismanageable but also challenging. Speed up the metronome over time to get even faster.

Have fun!

I would really love to hear from you if you give it a try and how it works for you.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.