Where to go from here?

damseldancer
damseldancer
03/28/2012 4:21 am
OK ... I'm working my way through Fundamentals 2 (plenty of practice still needed there of course), and completed the fingerpicking course (which was great). However I'm getting concerned about where to go from here.

I'm really not sure what style I want to do (sort of all of it, except heavy metal stuff - lol), which definitely doesn't help, but when I look at the song lessons they all seem way beyond me. I need some help on how to get from beginner to the next stage.

I feel like I need some kind of carrot at the moment, but don't know where to find it!

Any thoughts as to how to proceed?

Sadie
# 1
reldridge
reldridge
03/28/2012 2:49 pm
I'm still working through the Fundamentals 2 course as well. My plan (subject to change of course) is to eventually go through all the style courses. My theory is that what I do first will in some ways shape later learning, so I plan to do the courses in sort of my order of preference. In my case Blues, Rock, then Country.

I went through the Song lessons and arranged them by difficulty. The easier ones definitely look doable for someone at my stage. Of course, I'm sure they'll take just as much practice (if not more) as any of the Fundamentals lessons.

I'm a complete guitar noob, so take my advice w/ a grain of salt. If you're looking for a carrot, and you're ready to move on from the fundamentals, then I'd suggest finding a lesson that interests you. Maybe a song, or a particular genre, or a new skill set.

Sometimes if I find myself frustrated or bored of what I'm focusing on (in my case major and minor chord progressions), then I'll go and visit one of the many lessons that look interesting. A sort of introduction of things to come. I've currently checked out some of the Blues lessons, fingerpicking, a couple of songs, etc. Not spending a huge amount of time with them at this point, just checking them out.

Hope something in here helps!

Good luck!
# 2
damseldancer
damseldancer
03/29/2012 1:18 am
Thanks ... maybe just working through it all is the way to go and I'll see where I'll end up in the end!

Think I'll start with blues too. I have an acoustic guitar so we'll see how that works with the bluesy sounds.
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/29/2012 7:03 pm
If you are not sure where you want to go, I'd recommend Blues Level 1 when you feel comfortable with fundamentals 2. It has a lot of great information that will reinforce what you have learned and prepare you for tackling some songs.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
damseldancer
damseldancer
03/30/2012 12:42 am
Thanks Jon ... Currently working on the Blues course and enjoying it!
# 5
string_thumper856
string_thumper856
04/12/2012 12:47 am
Hey damseldance,
I personally would start with Blues for the simple reason you will always find a hint of blues in country, rock, and metal. I find it alot more enjoyable to improvise using blues style.....Good luck.
John
# 6
haghj500
haghj500
04/13/2012 4:29 am
Blues started on acoustic guitar. So you have the perfect guitar. To really play it well takes a lot of skill and time and the ability to make others feel what you are playing.

If you enjoy many types of music try country. Im not putting down coumtry, but it has a structered beat which yelds its self to be played better faster for a beginnig guitar player. The faster you can sound just like the song you are trying to learn, the faster you get your first carrot.

Good harted woman an folsom prision blues would both be good starter songs. Next House of the raising son and Heart of gold, Rambling man.

Then come back to the blues when you no longer have to look at your fingers as you make cords, so what you feel can flow out of you with out being block by having to stop and think as you play.

Something to think about.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.