Problem with the F & B Major

firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/10/2012 3:18 pm
I’m a beginner with just over a month into learning to play. I had some problems with the A Major; just keep putting my finger on the strings while looking at them to see if they were touching any of the other strings. And I have some fat fingers; however I found the sweet spot. Now I’m jammed on the F & B Major. I watch the video over and over, along with any other info I can find on the net about how to get these notes, still can’t master the skill.
# 1
tjr.gsa
tjr.gsa
02/11/2012 6:19 am
Beginner as well, focusing on just F for now and had better luck taking an angled approach like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PvJ5zEnwc

On top of that, and I'm not sure if it's bad technique, but I'm rolling my middle and ring fingers inwards just a bit and fretting more on the corner of my finger tips, seems to expose a little less pad and help keep from muting strings.

Still a long ways to go before I can play this with any sort of consistency, but it's probably just a matter of strength/stretching now.

Not sure if it'll help with your stubbier fingers but might be worth a try.
# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
02/11/2012 1:24 pm
Barre chords are a notorious barrier, and once you break through it a whole world of songs will open up to you. It's only a matter of strengthening your grip. It just takes time.

When I switched from acoustic to electric it made a big difference, because the strings on an acoustic tend to be heavier gauge and higher off the neck, making them harder to press down.

Try practicing your F barre chord shape up higher on the neck, where the string tension isn't so strong (it's always harder to play barre chords near the nut). Try using the same fingering but start at the 5th or 7th fret. It will also help your wrist be more comfortable. Then you can start moving it back towards the 1st fret again.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/12/2012 12:04 pm
Thanks guys,

The only help I can get at home is from my wife and grandson. All I get out of my wife is "your doing good" no matter what it sounds like. My grandson thinks my playing sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd playing freebird, he is 9 y/o. Playing freebird is on the very edge of the radar screen for me and guitar playing, learning these two notes my have even pushed it off the screen. If all else falls “El Kabong” lol

Thanks again
# 4
matonanjin
matonanjin
02/12/2012 2:55 pm
This is absolutely no help at all. But everyone must struggle with the F chord initially. My wife would hear me working on it as well as obscenities coming from my den. It got to be a joke. She would routinely ask me "Hows the 'F' chord coming?!" (I've been playing all of 6 weeks now. btw")

But one day just all of a sudden I could play it. It is still hit or miss but it is increasingly more hits then misses.

It will come.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 5
JJ90
JJ90
02/12/2012 3:41 pm
Perhaps this one will also help. As most people already mentioned it is a matter of perseverance and developing strength. But since you are just starting out that is about the best advice I can give you.

Justin Sandercoe from Justinguitar is one hell of a teacher (best free online teacher, if not one of the best teachers ever in my opinion) and also has a video on mastering Barre chords.

Perhaps this one will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJP2rWbMig&feature=player_embedded

Hope this helps.

JJ
# 6
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/13/2012 3:56 am
Thanks to all for the input, just have to keep trying, Must say everyone has give good advice to me.
# 7
haghj500
haghj500
02/13/2012 4:39 am
I don't know how much you play each deay, but to be able to just grab the F cord like you can the G is about a 3 month task. Play G then F then C then F then G then F the C then so so so forh. That combination will help build strenth and keep the cramps away. Like anything else, start slow, don't even look for speed for a couple of days. When you no longer have to watch your fingers to make the cords, start trying to speed things up slowly.

Good Luck
# 8
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/13/2012 9:47 pm
I’m lucky my father in law owns a music store. The guitar was a gift over a year ago, and set in the box.
Today I took the guitar to his store for some help with the F major cord. He putting a set of Martin strings on it and adjusting the bridge lower. He said this should help, but also reinforced what so many of you have already said, “It takes time, keep at it”
Thanks again all
# 9
Carl King
Carl King
02/14/2012 2:43 pm
Adjusting the bridge lower can help a LOT, and I cringe at how many new players must feel discouraged by this. Glad you took your guitar in and got it adjusted! You'll be playing those barre chords in no time. Keep at it!

-Carl.

# 10
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/15/2012 3:19 am
So right Carl, got my guitar back today and nailed the F Major, So good to hear those string chime as the pick run across them. Brother I'm so happy now. Still have to work on nailing it quicker and without looking, should come with time. But I have a F Major yea,yea,yea.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I will hit some more road blocks as I press on.
# 11
maltmn
maltmn
02/15/2012 4:14 pm
One of the best ways to get the hang of playing barre chords is to forget about the barre part at first. :)

That's because the barre chord requires a very specific hand-position. However, your barring finger doesn't have the required calluses to make the string sound very well. This causes you to sort of smush your fingers into an awkward position until it sort of sounds. That's not really the right way to play a barre chord.

So what you should do is to play THIS, instead of F major:

--0--
--0--
--2--
--3--
--3--
--1--

This will help your fingers develop the right position. Over time, your hand will get very used to this.

The next step is to lay your barring finger down on the strings, but DO NOT PRESS DOWN!!! Your finger first needs to develop calluses before it can play barre chords with ease. So just lay your finger on the strings, as if to mute the strings. So when you play those two top strings (the E and the B string) you'll hear a thud instead of a note.

--x--
--x--
--2--
--3--
--3--
--1--

You'll still want to hold down the first fret on the low E string though, that's important.

Now just let this settle for a few weeks. You'll develop a little callus on your finger while you're doing this. And eventually, you'll be able to lay your finger flat down and play the rest of the strings:

--1--
--1--
--2--
--3--
--3--
--1--

Hope this helps. :)
# 12
Carl King
Carl King
02/15/2012 4:16 pm
Originally Posted by: firewalkerb4So right Carl, got my guitar back today and nailed the F Major, So good to hear those string chime as the pick run across them. Brother I'm so happy now. Still have to work on nailing it quicker and without looking, should come with time. But I have a F Major yea,yea,yea.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I will hit some more road blocks as I press on.

That's good news, firewalkerb4!

Glad you were able to break through The Barre Barrier!

-Carl.

# 13
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/16/2012 4:12 pm
Already have the calluses, first had the tenderness, tenderness turned into blisters, blisters popped. I kept trying to turn my fingers different ways to avoid the pain, however not unbearable just uncomfortable. Now you can strike a match on them. Index finger has a dent that the string fits in. I can play the F Major now, just have to look at my hand and do adjustments a lot. I sure with time I should be able to hit without looking. Told my wife if ever I wanted to become a crock the time was now, because I have no finger prints on my fingers of the left hand. When the prints would be pulled, should match a guitar string.

Thanks
# 14
matonanjin
matonanjin
02/16/2012 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by: JJ90

....snip....

Justin Sandercoe from Justinguitar is one hell of a teacher (best free online teacher, if not one of the best teachers ever in my opinion) and also has a video on mastering Barre chords.

Perhaps this one will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJP2rWbMig&feature=player_embedded

JJ

JJ, thanks for this link! Great teacher and I have just barely touched the surface of his stuff! Didn't know about his materials before.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 15
JJ90
JJ90
02/16/2012 6:03 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjinJJ, thanks for this link! Great teacher and I have just barely touched the surface of his stuff! Didn't know about his materials before.

No problemo! I can't really say what your level of playing is but be sure to check out his website. He has loads of free lessons and some full courses. His website runs on donations only so he only does these lessons when he can make up the costs for it.

I personally think Justin's explaining goes way more in depth than most other teachers do, discussing almost any possible flaw.

For his beginners course: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

For his intermediate method (which also contains the lesson I mentioned in my previous post): http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-000-IntermediateMethod.php

Best of luck!

JJ
# 16
firewalkerb4
firewalkerb4
02/22/2012 8:39 am
Thanks, I now have his home page saved. just looked over some of his teaching and picked up some good info.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.