Minor or major?

Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/26/2000 2:49 pm
Latley i began to learn improvisation on pentatonic scales, but one thing about it i cant understand : all the chords that i suposed to play are major , while the solo is in minor scale...
As it seems to me if the scale is minor , the chords harmony should be minor to..
do i get it wrong or something???
P.S the scale was E minor pentatonic
The chords that i used there are E A B7

Anothe thing that i can't understand is:
if i take a major scale and take the 1,3,5 notes of it i get a major chord of this scale.. how can i get the same chord from other (example : minor) scales???
and if i do this to minor scale what do i get??? i mean if i take a minor pentatonic and take the 3 root notes of a chord what would it be??

[This message has been edited by Zeppelin (edited 08-26-2000).]
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 1
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/27/2000 11:46 am
The first question beats me...If it sounds ok to improvise over the major chords on the minor pentatonic scale, then just keep doing it(I bet you that it has a very special sound). Now for the other one.

If you take the root 1,3,5 from a minor scale you will get a minor chord(triad). Cause in a minor scale the 3rd is ½ tone lower than in the Major scale.
/Johan Lindgren
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/27/2000 8:14 pm
Using minor scales to improv over major progressions has been used for quite a long time now. Another thing that is fun to do is to mix minor scales when soloing. For example: use the minor pentatonic scale with the blues scale. Just mess around with stuff like that and it will take your playing to a totally different level.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 3
Holyroller
Holyroller
08/28/2000 7:07 pm
When you see a song its transposed to a key major or minor. Depending who wrote it and what key they used minor for a trumpet player could be major for a guitarist usualy its the opposite though. Another words just because the key signature says somthing it may not be in your key in wich case you need a capo. I hope that makes since too you it would be better if I knew if you know music theory and the cirlce of 5ths. Ask a music teacher about the 5ths thats hard to explaine as well!

------------------
John 3:16
e
s
u
s

i
s

r
e
a
l

John 3:16
e
s
u
s

i
s

r
e
a
l
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.