F major - finger placement difficulty

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > F major - finger placement difficulty

mcrouch36

In Fundamentals 1 by Chris, I have gotten down the E, A, D, C, & G chords through much practice and enjoy switching between these chords in practicing my timing.

But, I am having great difficulty with the F chord finger placement. Particularly with using my index finger to hold down the 1st & 2nd strings on the 1st fret. No matter how much I try and practice this chord I can't make any improvement with the dead strings occurring. My index finger always ends up at to much of an angle to flatten the 1st & 2nd strings properly. Have tried slightly modifying my finger placement and no luck so far.

I don't give up easy, but it appears my physical finger structures don't allow me to fret this one chord properly. Am getting frustrated as all the other major chord are now easy to implement.

Chris: Do you have any suggestions that may help me with this problem?

In Fundamentals 1 by Chris, I have gotten down the E, A, D, C, & G chords through much practice and enjoy switching between these chords in practicing my timing.

But, I am having great difficulty with the F chord finger placement. Particularly with using my index finger to hold down the 1st & 2nd strings on the 1st fret. No matter how much I try and practice this chord I can't make any improvement with the dead strings occurring. My index finger always ends up at to much of an angle to flatten the 1st & 2nd strings properly. Have tried slightly modifying my finger placement and no luck so far.

I don't give up easy, but it appears my physical finger structures don't allow me to fret this one chord properly. Am getting frustrated as all the other major chord are now easy to implement.

CSchlegel

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Hey & welcome!
Originally Posted by: mcrouch36
I have gotten down the E, A, D, C, & G chords through much practice and enjoy switching between these chords in practicing my timing.

Good deal! Congrats on accomplishing this. :)

I dealt with the (dreaded!) F chord most recently in this thread in my instructor forum:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33785

Read that, give a try & let me know how it goes! Best of success.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

Hey & welcome!
I have gotten down the E, A, D, C, & G chords through much practice and enjoy switching between these chords in practicing my timing.

Good deal! Congrats on accomplishing this. :)

I dealt with the (dreaded!) F chord most recently in this thread in my instructor forum:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33785

Read that, give a try & let me know how it goes! Best of success.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

KeithVandenEynd

Try playing the F chord shape higher on the fret board where the strings are closer to the frets. For example, play the chord at the 10th fret. Now, you're actually playing a D chord. If everything sounds fine, move the chord to the 9th fret. Still sound good? Continue moving down until the chord doesn't sound good. Work at that fret to get it to sound right and then start moving down again.

Playing chords that contain barres are difficult in the lower positions. Starting higher and moving down allows you to slowly build up your strength.
Keith Vanden Eynden
http://www.kvemusic.com

Try playing the F chord shape higher on the fret board where the strings are closer to the frets. For example, play the chord at the 10th fret. Now, you're actually playing a D chord. If everything sounds fine, move the chord to the 9th fret. Still sound good? Continue moving down until the chord doesn't sound good. Work at that fret to get it to sound right and then start moving down again.

Playing chords that contain barres are difficult in the lower positions. Starting higher and moving down allows you to slowly build up your strength.
Keith Vanden Eynden
http://www.kvemusic.com

JimmyAlford

Hey
+1 to Keith's post above...
Something else you may want to consider is your hand positioning. If your finger is at too much of an angle, try playing the chord but leaving the B and E strings open.
This will hopefully get your hand in a good position (and it sounds cool too :) )
Then, go back to practicing with the barre across the first fret.

Hey
+1 to Keith's post above...
Something else you may want to consider is your hand positioning. If your finger is at too much of an angle, try playing the chord but leaving the B and E strings open.
This will hopefully get your hand in a good position (and it sounds cool too :) )
Then, go back to practicing with the barre across the first fret.

Dan Acheron

Great advice Keith!

Mostly everyone has trouble with the F chord when they first learn it. I know I sure did. I doubt there is anything wrong with your finger structure. Keep working at it and after some time you will get it!

Great advice Keith!

Mostly everyone has trouble with the F chord when they first learn it. I know I sure did. I doubt there is anything wrong with your finger structure. Keep working at it and after some time you will get it!

bunnahowen

How have you been getting on with this? I have always struggled with it. I can play a full F barre chord but I cannot play the version of F you describe. I can barre the two strings no problem but soon as I try to play the full chord I mute strings. I think my difficulty is the index won't work independently. When i apply the barre the other two fingers move and mute. Anyway Hope you have cracked it. best wishes

How have you been getting on with this? I have always struggled with it. I can play a full F barre chord but I cannot play the version of F you describe. I can barre the two strings no problem but soon as I try to play the full chord I mute strings. I think my difficulty is the index won't work independently. When i apply the barre the other two fingers move and mute. Anyway Hope you have cracked it. best wishes

Marduk_lia

Suggestion for new student

Since every one of the instructor look really fantastic, which one of them you suggest for me (naive,dummie beginner). I just bought my guitar and want to start with you... Please, let me know.

Suggestion for new student

Since every one of the instructor look really fantastic, which one of them you suggest for me (naive,dummie beginner). I just bought my guitar and want to start with you... Please, let me know.

JJ90

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Marduk_lia

You aren't even a full access member ( yet )! Well if you have taken a look around the website you should have noticed that Guitartricks has a Core Learning system. These are videos linked one to another so you get a very structured approach into learning guitar.

For guitar fundamentals 1 and 2 that would be Christopher Schlegel most of the time. After that you can either deepen into Rock, Blues or Country as whichever has your preference ( or maybe you want to do all three styles ).

But to access that you will have to be a full access member.

Originally Posted by: Marduk_lia

You aren't even a full access member ( yet )! Well if you have taken a look around the website you should have noticed that Guitartricks has a Core Learning system. These are videos linked one to another so you get a very structured approach into learning guitar.

For guitar fundamentals 1 and 2 that would be Christopher Schlegel most of the time. After that you can either deepen into Rock, Blues or Country as whichever has your preference ( or maybe you want to do all three styles ).

But to access that you will have to be a full access member.

mtnbiker1224

F Major Chord finger plaement

Something a friend taught me that may help use all four fingers to play the F Major chord instead of barring use index and middle fingers respectfully on strings 1 and 2 then normal finger placement after youll have to work at it to get the sound right but it is a little easier.Let me know how you make out.

F Major Chord finger plaement

Something a friend taught me that may help use all four fingers to play the F Major chord instead of barring use index and middle fingers respectfully on strings 1 and 2 then normal finger placement after youll have to work at it to get the sound right but it is a little easier.Let me know how you make out.

tom_ahtom

testtesttest

testtesttest