Fat Fingers!

JamesLJ
JamesLJ
03/13/2009 10:29 pm
Hey all...glad to be here. I'm VERY new at this. Every time I pick up a guitar and try to learn, I always end up giving up with the phrase "My fingers just don't work like that." Now I have three free resources for computer-based lessons, and I really don't have an excuse not to learn. That said...my main problem is that my fingers are too wide. I always, no matter how I hold my fingers, mute the string next to the one I'm pressing. Any tips on this??
# 1
Chancy
Chancy
03/13/2009 11:32 pm
I'm still new myself and have fairly large fingers. I've found that as I play more and my fingers toughen up, I don't have to press as hard which keeps my fingers from spreading out so much. Good luck. I'm sure there are some better tips out there. Don't give up
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/14/2009 12:17 am
One thing that I often relate to students is to learn to live with unusual differences in hands if there is just no way to overcome it.
With fat fingers for instance, you might be attempting to play a chord exactly as shown in a book or video. However, just because you might be muting a string or not able to play the chord exactly doesn't mean all is lost.

A lot of times the guitar is just a backup instrument for a vocalist or band, so there isn't the need to always play all the strings of a particular chord.
Even if you can manage just 3 notes to play, you've essentially covered the basics of a chord.

If all else fails, you can always turn to alternative tuning. I even use this myself when recording because I can get a smoother sound and hold down chords for longer periods of time.
For instance if I'm playing a song with all major keys, I'll just tune my guitar to open G. Or use Drop D tuning. Sometimes I'll put masking tape over a couple of strings if they're getting in the way.

When I first started playing guitar I had a similar problem.... not fat fingers... just too dumb to figure out how to play chords.
So I just tuned my guitar to an open G chord and used my thumb to hold chords down while holding the guitar in my lap.
I played guitar like that for a couple of years and even though I was limited to certain songs.. it still allowed me to play, as well as develop a lot of right hand strumming techniques that I would probably have missed if I'd spent all my time concentrating on my left hand.

There are all kinds of alternate tunings you can use... some of them are listed here:

http://guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=1754

You'll often see girls using alternate tunings because they have a similar problem in just not having enough finger strength. With an alternate tuning, you have to experiment quite a bit but it'll come to you eventually.

Anyways... just try to do your best. Don't always feel that you absolutely have to play all the strings in a chord. If you find a finger is muting another string accidentally, over time you'll just get used to playing it that way and your mind will subconsciously adjust your playing style to suit it.
Just remember that even though there are suggested 'proper' ways to play, anything goes as long as it sounds good.

As an example, I remember being told very early on to never use my thumb. However, being the rebel kind of guy, I used it just to spite the guy. I learned over the years that there are several chords that can't be played without using the thumb so the lesson I learned from that was to not always take all advice as 'definitively' the correct answer... and I tell my students now... if you want to use your thumb go ahead.. heck, if you want to use your left elbow and your nose it's ok with me as long as it sounds good.

Another point I'll make, and something that still affects me to this day is that very early on I noticed that I couldn't hold my left hand fingers close to the fretboard at all times. No matter what I do, even now, if I press down a note with one of my first three fingers, my pinky finger shoots straight out.
Nothing I do will stop it from doing that because it's just the way my hand is built.
So my first hurdle to overcome was trying to play fast leads with a little finger that was constantly jumping 2" off the fretboard all the time. It majorly slowed me down and to this day, it still does.
However, rather than letting it limit my playing I learned to use an alternative way of playing leads by tapping them with two hands. After many years of practice I was able to play leads faster using this method than anybody else I knew. I distinctly remember at the time that I was learning to play like this, I always felt like I was cheating or doing something wrong.
But now after so many years I can look back now and think.. 'ya know, if it wasn't for that little finger problem, i'd never be able to play half the stuff I can do now so it was actually a blessing in disguise.'
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/14/2009 12:22 am
Originally Posted by: ChancyI'm still new myself and have fairly large fingers. I've found that as I play more and my fingers toughen up, I don't have to press as hard which keeps my fingers from spreading out so much. Good luck. I'm sure there are some better tips out there. Don't give up

Callouses are really a good part of the ticket. In many respects, because the finger is soft and fleshy, the string is going to indent in to your finger until the callous build up enough where that does much heppen.

Good call.

To the original poster, spend time watching TV and doing finger exercises to harden up the finger tip ends. I used to do one as follows (note: the fingers are noted as 1=Index, 2=Middle, 3=Ring, 4=Pinky):

6th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
..and so on through the first string

then:
6th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4

then:
6th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4

You get the picture. It doesn't require knowledge to do it. It's truly like exercise and building things up. It's mindless enough to do while you watch the tube. If you do this drill doing alternate (up/down) picking, it helps you get in the habit of that type of picking and will help as you improve with speed and accuracy. The drill doesn't need to be done fast and is better if you don't.

It is tedious but that's why you can be distracted. The end result is that you will build callouses, strengthen your fingers ad feel more confortable when you are playing other stuff.

Particularly when I was a speedy player back wen, I did this regularly to keep my fingers engaged.

My thoughts...

# 4
grandpadad
HappyHere
grandpadad
HappyHere
03/14/2009 12:27 am
Hello James,
Probably the #1 complaint.
Myself included. I am new here also.
What I did to convince myself ... I placed my guitar across my knees strings up then I put each one of my (4) playing hand fingers one at a time on every string (6) behind every fret (21).I saw that unless I had my finger absolutely crossway, at right angle to the string (impossible to do while playing) there was sufficient room. I also noted that as I proceeded from nut to soundhole, that the strings flared out slightly, giving even more room. So I have proved to myself 6x4x21=504X that my fingers do fit and that I must learn to place them properly in the allotted spaces.
So I hope you accept the challenges ahead. I can't imagine a better place than here to make an honest attempt to learn.
Friendly people and dedicated instructors.
Cheers
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/14/2009 12:38 am
>>To the original poster, spend time watching TV and doing finger exercises

This is also an excellent way to build up your listening ability and your ear by playing along with background music in TV shows or commercials.
Listening to the music and trying to figure out leads to play to it for instance.
Watch a TV show and try to figure out what chord is being played in the background.
Besides being an advantage for learning guitar, it's also kinda fun.
If a show starts getting boring, play some backup country twang sounds over the romantic piano music or add power chords to a ballad.

If somebody starts singing, see how fast you can pick out the notes on the fretboard. Eventually, after years of practice, you can literally see the notes in your head as you're hearing them and by the time a song is finished, you already know how to play it.
# 6
albundy572
albundy572
03/14/2009 2:43 am
I myself along with James seeem to have the same problems with muting the next strings while playing cordes. Open to any sugggestions with this problem. It is very frustrating !!!!!!!!!!!!
# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/14/2009 1:03 pm
Hi All-

Lots of good suggestions here!

If you'd like to follow a structured routine, I do have a series of finger warm-ups ("Spider Legs") that address many of the issues of positioning, strengthening, stretching, etc. that guitar players need to deal with, whatever the size of your fingers.

These exercises start out at a basic level, and move into more advanced versions. You can easily pick what level feels like the best fit for you. I don't promise it will cure fat fingers, but it helps train your hands and develop the coordination and flexibility to tackle fat-finger syndrome when it comes to making chords.

I use them myself when I warm up to play, and teach them to all my "real world" students too. Here's the link if you'd like to give it a try:

ā€SPIDER LEGSā€ WARM-UP EXERCISES
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=621

Best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
handy18458
handy18458
03/14/2009 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by: JamesLJHey all...glad to be here. I'm VERY new at this. Every time I pick up a guitar and try to learn, I always end up giving up with the phrase "My fingers just don't work like that." Now I have three free resources for computer-based lessons, and I really don't have an excuse not to learn. That said...my main problem is that my fingers are too wide. I always, no matter how I hold my fingers, mute the string next to the one I'm pressing. Any tips on this??

I have a friend experiencing the same problem. My thought on it was that guitars have different neck widths. Classical guitars have very wide necks, or you could even start out on a bass just to start building callouses and your chops..BUT DO NOT GIVE UP! I gave up 25 years ago and just started again 7 months ago at 45 years of age and my teacher is 24! I have two guitars older than he is!LOL
# 9
mcroyal
mcroyal
03/16/2009 12:32 pm
I am also a beginner with large fingers working on the same string issue. I have found what everyone is saying here is quite true. Slow practice is the real key, but adapting lessons to your own individual hand restrictions is a big help. I have also found lifting the guitar head much higher (even to the slightly above your own head) helps a lot because it decreases the angle of your finger tips to the fretboard thereby allowing them to come down more perpendicular instead of sideways. That will allow you to land in the space between strings. It will also help you maintain the string pressure without hitting an adjacent string as your fingers tire and roll around. Then as you improve, you can slowly bring the guitar head down until you find your comfort level (or leave it high like many Spanish guitarists). Your fingers will fit, it just takes lots of practice. Just remember to go slowly at first to build up your finger memory and have fun! That, after all, is why we do this in the first place!!
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2009 1:27 pm
Yep, don't give up. Eventually it'll fall into place and you'll be wondering why it seemed so hard to figure out. :)

It might help to know that some of us had problems at the start that were just as bad.
Like, I spent about 5 years only knowing a D chord and gave up on many occasions. Even resorted to tuning my guitar to an open G so I could play it in my lap and hold barre chords with my thumb. (I could actually play "Smoke on the Water" and "Not Your Stepping Stone" by the Monkees!)
# 11
Vapsman88
Vapsman88
03/17/2009 7:38 pm
[QUOTE=JeffS65]Callouses are really a good part of the ticket. In many respects, because the finger is soft and fleshy, the string is going to indent in to your finger until the callous build up enough where that does much heppen.

Good call.

To the original poster, spend time watching TV and doing finger exercises to harden up the finger tip ends. I used to do one as follows (note: the fingers are noted as 1=Index, 2=Middle, 3=Ring, 4=Pinky):

6th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4

-------------------------

Thanks Jeff! An excellent idea. Thanks for sharing.
# 12
Vapsman88
Vapsman88
03/17/2009 7:47 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCHi All-

ā€SPIDER LEGSā€ WARM-UP EXERCISES
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=621

Best wishes, Lisa

-----------------
Lisa,

Totally cool! Thanks for the exercises. I will practice those too. I have wrist mobility issues on my left hand and those you show will help. Thanks.
# 13
JamesLJ
JamesLJ
03/17/2009 9:48 pm
Hey all, it looks like I've sparked quite a good discussion. Thanks so much for the tips from all the posters. Keep them coming to all the lurkers. Now I just have to get off my butt and start building up my calluses :-)
# 14
Purplemoons
Purplemoons
03/18/2009 5:03 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm presently working on a technique to seize the finger mutting thingy. what i'm doing is starting with the first finger in the "A" minor cord position while playing my music pattern. When I've learn how to position my finger to prevent mutting, I'm going to ease my second finger into position...then so on and so on until i've master the chord positioning. I'm not sure how sucessful thats going to be.... as this idea just popped into my head.

I wish you all sucess in conquering the chord challenge. I'll report back and let you all know if this is working for me.
# 15
Purplemoons
Purplemoons
03/19/2009 8:00 pm
Greetings All!

Well, I've took a look around at some guitarist and found many have large fingers, yet they could make a guitar hummmmm to the nineth power. So i figure it must not be our fat fingers thats causing the delay.

Along with practicing one finger on a chord at a time, the trick is to use the very tip of your finger as oppose to the top underhalf of the tip. If the chords are still muting, the other possibility is you're not pressing down hard enough on the chords. When i'd press down harder while making sure my tips were positioned just right, i heard a clear beautiful sound respond.

So here's a tip for all the pleasantly plump fingers. The tip is to use just that....the very tips of the fingers. I tell you, my fingers tips are sore right now. Whew! But its well worth the pain if i can get a clean note out.

Make sure you rub those finger tips in between practices. It will help strenghten them and reduce the soreness.

Good luck to all! And thank you for those wonderful excercises too!
# 16
Steve Mac Live
Steve Mac Live
03/23/2009 1:51 am
Sometimes you just need to see someone else show you the way. Watch this self described "big o boy" He will inspire you with his big fingers and clean playing. Then go out and practice! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkDShOpJNo&feature=related

SteveMac Live (working on this song myself)
# 17
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/23/2009 2:32 am
Originally Posted by: Steve Mac LiveSometimes you just need to see someone else show you the way. Watch this self described "big o boy" He will inspire you with his big fingers and clean playing. Then go out and practice! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkDShOpJNo&feature=related

SteveMac Live (working on this song myself)

Thanks for posting that. It was really, really nice. Really loved his voice. Too bad this music biz is so looks oriented, they will never be able to hear that kind of beauty.
# 18
hirschihuskies97
hirschihuskies97
04/27/2017 8:02 pm

I've been playing for about 8 years now and I still have this problem alot. The only help i can give you is clip those nails down to the quick, and depending on the guitar check to see of you can get the action lowered. other than that keep on trying to get those clear resonating sounds from your chords so you'll know your fingers are in the right spots.

# 19
Pinkpam
Pinkpam
04/28/2017 12:00 am

Help! I too have fat fingers . Actually, I thought that my fingers were rather skinny at least until I started playing guitar. I am very new at this too. Silly me, I thought I may have been doing fair with my learning that is until I try to do chords. Usually 2 fingered chords are not great but at least somewhat ok. But my fingers dont go well for the 3rd finger of a chord. My fingers just dont go that way. Usually just one string sounds awful. HELP please. I cannot do the D chord. i havent got to any other ones yet, because Icant seem to learn this one. I am getting frustrated. Help help help please. I dont know what more to do at this point.

Pam

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.