learning to play

dynu
dynu
11/21/2001 9:35 pm
Is somewhere on this site a full, step-by-step course for a total beginner to learn to play? I searched and all I could find for beginners was stringing and tuning the guitar.
If you dont have such, could you point me to some good starting place ?

Thanx
# 1
zeb985
zeb985
11/28/2001 6:10 pm
Im not the best of guitar players so there are probaly alot of people out there that could answer this question better but I recommend ebay.com. they have a guitar begginer computer program that you can purchase for pretty cheap. It teach some of the basics and starts you off slow and picks up gradually. The songs you will learn are mostly older ones and arent probably going to be what you hoped to learn but the value isnt the songs but the learning of the material and getting your fingers going and learning how to change chords smoothly and timely. But how ever you choose to start out make sure to have fun its what its all about.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
11/28/2001 10:33 pm
You could be a cheapskate like me when i first started out, and go to some free ware sites, and find "chord finder" programs, which pretty much teach you chords... and then you could come back to this site, learn how to read tab, then get some tabs.... That's similar to how i started out...
Good luck... :)
# 3
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
11/29/2001 8:25 am
find someone to show you few basic chords, the way to build chords and some basic theory n notes.
practice practice practice.
find out how to read tab (that's pretty easy). get tabs of songs you'd like to play.
practice again. practice again. practice again.
that's what i did and i'm happy with it. :)

p.s
never give up. don't get frustrated over some songs you possibly can't work out just leave'em alone for a while and get back to them when you're ready.
you're likely to find out that even after you practiced 5 hours in a row, your fingers ache like hell and you're bleeding over the strings you can't put your guitar aside.
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 4
jrl2479
jrl2479
12/03/2001 2:18 pm
Try this site. http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/chords/chords.htm
It's a site posted by Dan Smith. Very helpful and free.I'm a beginner myself and from strumming exercises and finger picking to octaves and the chord theory he is very descriptive and thorough. He also offers audio streams to hear the correct exercise or sound. They will not play for me but a great instructional method, as if he was there giving you the lesson.Tell me if you enjoy.
# 5
zeb985
zeb985
12/03/2001 11:49 pm
Thanks to jr12479 I went to Dan Smiths sight today and got caught up reading alot of what was on his sight. JR12479 is right this is a great sight. Their is alot of information here and Dan Smith explains it quite well. I especialy liked his essay on Chord Leading. Jr12479 I dont know about dynu but I got to tell you the zebster digged it!!!!!
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 6
jrl2479
jrl2479
12/06/2001 2:11 am
Happy to share the info. Every time I go to the site, I learn something new. Tons of info on this site.
# 7
dynu
dynu
12/06/2001 10:49 am
Explain this to me: what is this bull**** with Warner Bros. not letting him publish tablatures ? (D. Smith that is). Since when are tablatures copyrighted and then why havent Dune (Who Wants to Live Forever), Fugees(Killing Me Softly) and others featured - as far as I know - by the same Warner Bros been sued yet !? I really dont get this. I mean, you can play any song, written by anyone, put it on tape, CD, whatever - that's just fine. But if you make the tabs public - you're in deep **** ! Is this not just another way to burry good old music in favor of new, money-earning "artists" such as eminem, papa jr. or dr. dre !? They certainly have no tabs to be stolen !
# 8
jrl2479
jrl2479
12/07/2001 1:48 pm
I believe you're on to something with the money theory. It made me mad to see a collection of great songs specifically for a begginer like me. I was raised on the sound of the seventies. The seventies and late sixties were the revolution of music that I choose to acknowledge as critical.We had bands like BTO, CCR, and Ten years after.
On the other hand through posts like this and The OLGA as Dan Smith tells you to try, a company cannot stop the flow of music. They did intimidate Dan. Think about that the next time you buy something with their name on it. With peer to peer file sharing, download and burn, and save some money.
# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/07/2001 6:25 pm
actualy as you may know, there was a big fuzz over olga few years ago, and they had to close down few of their servers and most of the tabs there became illegal somehow,
i think this is realy realy stupid, but the big companies rule the world...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/21/2022 2:35 am

Alanalampe8, I looked in on this post out of curiosity since the original question was about learning to play. I'm guessing that you're not the original poster from '01.

I do notice that you're a registered user and it sounds like you've got a way to navigate this site that works for you. That's awesome. I've been on here on GT for just over a year and I'm getting a lot out of it. I had a number of years of formal piano (a number of decades ago) and actually started playing guitar in the '70s. With that said, I'm enjoying the ride here and getting a fresh perspective.

Interesting note at the end about studying with a teacher. I haven't taken advantage of it yet, but the teachers on this site can do one-on-ones.

Enjoy!

# 11
jaffrey.holeme
jaffrey.holeme
04/22/2022 3:08 am

"

Originally Posted by: Is somewhere on this site a full, step-by-step course for a total beginner to learn to play? I searched and all I could find for beginners was stringing and tuning the guitar.[br]If you dont have such, could you point me to some good starting place ?

Thanx

[p]You could try to search for free lessons on Youtube. Here is what I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBz-Jyr23M4 Think it is a good one. Also, check this https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/ I used it when I was learning to play Ukulele. Found the ukulele here https://houseandbeyond.org/best-tenor-ukulele/. And I also use this right now[br]https://www.justinguitar.com/ quite a good range of lessons for any level. [br]Hope this is helpful."

# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/22/2022 1:34 pm

That might set the record for GT responses... the OP is over twenty years old. Any older and the font automatically changes to Old English.

Still, the recommendations are good... I frequently visit two of the sites myself.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.