Restringing Telecaster..

Guitarist4God
Guitarist4God
02/25/2001 3:46 pm
Apologies if this has been covered before. I'm learning the guitar, and have broken bottom e string, and need to put a new one in- what do I need to do, step by step- thanks in advance!
Spike
# 1
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/25/2001 4:26 pm
*You MIGHT want to consider replacing ALL the strings so you have a nice, fresh set on......I don't think I have to walk you through sticking a string up through the rear bridge, but here are a few high-lights to restringing your axe.....First, put each string on, top to bottom (or visa versa), and put just a little tension on each string with the tuners...Don't be tryin' to tune each one as you're putting them on....Put them ALL on and THEN bring each string up into tune, one at a time.....Second, AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANTLY, try to get EXACTLY 3 wraps of string on each tuner....Take the string with your hand and wrap it TWICE around the tuner peg and THEN stick the string through the hole in your tuner and pull it tight..(with your hand, give it a little tug)......When you tighten each string up, you will end up with about 3 to 4 wraps on each tuner....(You DON'T want the strings OVER-LAPPING each other...You want them to end up nicely wound in layers...Kinda like looking at a bolt thread...)...YOUR GUITAR WILL STAY IN TUNE MUCH BETTER...Third, clip the ends off the tops of your strings....Nice and short...Leavin' the top strings un-cut and floppin' around is late 70's window dressing and gets filed with nylon pants and disco, tie-dye shirts...YUK :D......Fourth, once you get the strings up near their "in-tune" spot, they'll need to be stretched so that they'll remain in tune....Take your 2 middle fingers (Hold them together) and grab each string (one by one at the first knuckles of your fingers) in the middle of the neck (around fret 12) and "Slightly" pull up on the string (Kinda like you're slowly pulling back a bow...Have the guitar sitting flat in your lap (while your sitting down) and while you're pulling up on the string, let it pick the guitar neck up SLIGHTLY off your lap and let the string bounce in your hand as you're giving the string LITTLE tugs...You will FEEL the string stretching on the tips of your fingers.....Do this "tugging" for about 15-20 seconds on each string.....NOW, tune your guitar up, heaviest string first and when your done, TUG each string again for about 5 seconds and then re-tune the guitar again...It should now stay in tune nicely for you....Re-stringing a guitar DOES take a little practice and many musicians consider it a boring and tedious job, but the V ENJOYS doing it, because when I Change the strings, I also clean the neck with "Pledge" and wipe the whole guitar down....When I'm done puttin' the new strings on, the guitar is nice and shiny (like when it was new) and new strings sound AWESOME :)....NOW GET TO WORK !!! :D:D

[Edited by LEEtheV on 02-25-2001 at 11:38 AM]
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 2
Guitarist4God
Guitarist4God
02/25/2001 9:43 pm
Thanks dude!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.