Underrated and overrated guitarists

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Underrated and overrated guitarists

This is what I do:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3210

Write in and tell us all a bit about yourself!

I thought it best to start a new thread since this one's supposed to be about underated/overated guitarists.

See you there!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?

This is what I do:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3210

Write in and tell us all a bit about yourself!

I thought it best to start a new thread since this one's supposed to be about underated/overated guitarists.

See you there!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?

Missing

I'm new here but I don't see any posts either for or against Steve Howe. I've been a big Yes fan for some time and just started playing which has no baring on this post but I think he is a very underrated guitarist!! Just listen to any of the Yes stuff through the years and its incredible stuff. Like Yes or not his stuff is clean, complex and usually very fresh. I realized how versatile he was by listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans the first time!!! WOW! Any thoughts?

Missing

I'm new here but I don't see any posts either for or against Steve Howe. I've been a big Yes fan for some time and just started playing which has no baring on this post but I think he is a very underrated guitarist!! Just listen to any of the Yes stuff through the years and its incredible stuff. Like Yes or not his stuff is clean, complex and usually very fresh. I realized how versatile he was by listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans the first time!!! WOW! Any thoughts?

is Super Fabulous

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris mood
a lot of people may hate me for this but Eric Clapton is definetly way over rated. [/QUOTE]

I think you're right . . . IF you're talking about his electric playing. On the electric, he's pretty mediocre, but on the acoustic, he has a touch like no other. Every song and solo on the "Unplugged" album is brilliant.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris mood
a lot of people may hate me for this but Eric Clapton is definetly way over rated. [/QUOTE]

I think you're right . . . IF you're talking about his electric playing. On the electric, he's pretty mediocre, but on the acoustic, he has a touch like no other. Every song and solo on the "Unplugged" album is brilliant.

Overrated: Kirk Cobain
Underrated: Michael Schenker (UFO)
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion

Overrated: Kirk Cobain
Underrated: Michael Schenker (UFO)
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion

over: Kirk Hammett
(His solos of the earlier Metallica albums are not really genius, and I must only shook my head when I see the transcriptions in their songbooks..)
under: Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

over: Kirk Hammett
(His solos of the earlier Metallica albums are not really genius, and I must only shook my head when I see the transcriptions in their songbooks..)
under: Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

Re: Please don't hate me

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomas Schellhous
I have been severely threatened for voicing this opinion before, but I honestly think that Jimi Hendrix wasn't that good. However, I haven't heard everything from him.
Also, other overrated guitarists include: Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (most overrated guitarist ever), Ace Frehley, Angus Young, and Kurt Cobain (I like Nirvana, but come on, he was no guitar whiz)

Underrated: Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrel, Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, and (on a less heavy side) Jesse Cook, whose amazing accuracy and mastery of technique along with his style variety ranging from flamenco to classical amazes me.
Rhoads was a great musician, Hetfield is the driving musical force of Metallica and a great player who is sometimes overshadowed by Kirk Hammett's popuarity, and Pantera and Slayer may not be the most musical bands in the traditional sense, but they still have talent.
[/QUOTE]

you´re totally right... and you know what ?

i love you

Re: Please don't hate me

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomas Schellhous
I have been severely threatened for voicing this opinion before, but I honestly think that Jimi Hendrix wasn't that good. However, I haven't heard everything from him.
Also, other overrated guitarists include: Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (most overrated guitarist ever), Ace Frehley, Angus Young, and Kurt Cobain (I like Nirvana, but come on, he was no guitar whiz)

Underrated: Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrel, Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, and (on a less heavy side) Jesse Cook, whose amazing accuracy and mastery of technique along with his style variety ranging from flamenco to classical amazes me.
Rhoads was a great musician, Hetfield is the driving musical force of Metallica and a great player who is sometimes overshadowed by Kirk Hammett's popuarity, and Pantera and Slayer may not be the most musical bands in the traditional sense, but they still have talent.
[/QUOTE]

you´re totally right... and you know what ?

i love you

underrated:

Doug Boyle
Jon Schaffer
George Lynch
David Chastain
Mick Mars
the hellecasters guys
Vernon Reid
Dino Cazares
Nuno Bettencourt
Tom Morello
Keb mo

Overrated:

Malmsteen
Richie Sambora
Ace Frehley
The Edge
Randy Rhoads
Keith Richards
eric Clapton

underrated:

Doug Boyle
Jon Schaffer
George Lynch
David Chastain
Mick Mars
the hellecasters guys
Vernon Reid
Dino Cazares
Nuno Bettencourt
Tom Morello
Keb mo

Overrated:

Malmsteen
Richie Sambora
Ace Frehley
The Edge
Randy Rhoads
Keith Richards
eric Clapton

I forgot one !!!!!

another underrated:

Uli Jon Roth

I forgot one !!!!!

another underrated:

Uli Jon Roth

To be honest I don't think any successfull guitar player is over rated or under. I feel it is what you bring to the table that sets you apart and to each his own. But the most briliant guitar players I have ever heard are little known and some are local guys. To say who have impressed me the most and are famous, and who hasn't, that is a different subject. Impressed: Jimi (of course) Dicky Betts,Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Warren Hanes, Steve Morse, Albert King (and all the king bros for that matter hehe) Walter Becker, Larry Carlton, Jango Reinhardt,Steve Morse, Johnny Winter, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopler, Alvin Lee, Steve Ray, Carlos, Los Idios Tabaharas, George Harrison just to name a few off the top of my head...(this list can get extremely long)And Unimpressed by most of the now guitar players that don't extend their instrument beyond noise, tho I do respect the athletisism it takes to play some of those rythems =)

To be honest I don't think any successfull guitar player is over rated or under. I feel it is what you bring to the table that sets you apart and to each his own. But the most briliant guitar players I have ever heard are little known and some are local guys. To say who have impressed me the most and are famous, and who hasn't, that is a different subject. Impressed: Jimi (of course) Dicky Betts,Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Warren Hanes, Steve Morse, Albert King (and all the king bros for that matter hehe) Walter Becker, Larry Carlton, Jango Reinhardt,Steve Morse, Johnny Winter, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopler, Alvin Lee, Steve Ray, Carlos, Los Idios Tabaharas, George Harrison just to name a few off the top of my head...(this list can get extremely long)And Unimpressed by most of the now guitar players that don't extend their instrument beyond noise, tho I do respect the athletisism it takes to play some of those rythems =)

overrated: eddie van halen, kirk hammett, john williams(classical), dave mustaine, kurt cobain, billy corgan, kim thayil.... some of these guys made it to the 100 greatest solos of all time in guitar world. duh??? whats the deal here??

underrated: nuno bettencourt, dimebag darrell, scot henderson, shawn lane, paco de lucia (and friends), jennifer batten, kevin eubanks.... some guitarists don't even know they exist.

overrated: eddie van halen, kirk hammett, john williams(classical), dave mustaine, kurt cobain, billy corgan, kim thayil.... some of these guys made it to the 100 greatest solos of all time in guitar world. duh??? whats the deal here??

underrated: nuno bettencourt, dimebag darrell, scot henderson, shawn lane, paco de lucia (and friends), jennifer batten, kevin eubanks.... some guitarists don't even know they exist.