Underrated and overrated guitarists

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Underrated and overrated guitarists

Raluen

Don't really have anyone to add to the overrated list. If they aren't my cup of tea I just don't listen to them much.

Underrated: Could add a ton here, but will just add a couple of names:

Andy Timmons

Prashant Aswani

Raphael Moreira

Don't really have anyone to add to the overrated list. If they aren't my cup of tea I just don't listen to them much.

Underrated: Could add a ton here, but will just add a couple of names:

Andy Timmons

Prashant Aswani

Raphael Moreira

jimcroisannt

Originally Posted by: snojones
Originally Posted by:
most underated
Neil Young

Mr Young is absolutly the worst guitar player ever! I am always floored when anybody mentions him in the same sentence as "Guitar Player". A good song smith, but that is it.

Gonna jump on this bandwagon-- Neil Young's definitely a way better songwriter than guitar player

Originally Posted by: snojones
Originally Posted by:
most underated
Neil Young

Mr Young is absolutly the worst guitar player ever! I am always floored when anybody mentions him in the same sentence as "Guitar Player". A good song smith, but that is it.

Gonna jump on this bandwagon-- Neil Young's definitely a way better songwriter than guitar player

jimcroisannt

Not bad, not bad at all. I just Googled him to see what else he's up to these days and found an article from about half a year after the concert in that video, where it was announced that he has tonsil cancer, poor guy:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/green-day-guitarist-jason-white-diagnosed-tonsil-cancer-20141206

Haven't seen anything more recent than 2014 though, so I'm guessing he did make that full recovery

Not bad, not bad at all. I just Googled him to see what else he's up to these days and found an article from about half a year after the concert in that video, where it was announced that he has tonsil cancer, poor guy:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/green-day-guitarist-jason-white-diagnosed-tonsil-cancer-20141206

Haven't seen anything more recent than 2014 though, so I'm guessing he did make that full recovery

rboss61

Full Access

someone who is overlooked is roy clark, the hee haw stuff hurt his rep, but he was a incredible player of guitar and banjo. How many kids under 25 have ever seen him play?

someone who is overlooked is roy clark, the hee haw stuff hurt his rep, but he was a incredible player of guitar and banjo. How many kids under 25 have ever seen him play?

hobinlobo

Full Access

Most under-rated: David Grissom.

Particularly great on Joe Ely's Live at Liberty Lunch.

Most under-rated: David Grissom.

Particularly great on Joe Ely's Live at Liberty Lunch.

gat300175

Underrated and hardly ever mentioned among the greatest guitarists of all-time:

Frank Zappa, not that many people talk about his guitar skills. Zappa as an artist is underrated and often forgotten by many.

Neil Young, his sound creations and feel for the music are great. He is not as technical as some of the known names like Vai, EVH,etc.

J.J. Cale. people seem to always talk about Clapton, but hardly anybody plays as smooth as JJ.

Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead), speaks for itself, just listen to OK Computer

Also a lot of Metal guitarists are underrated, for example guys from Mercyful Fate or Andy LaRoque from King Diamond

Underrated and hardly ever mentioned among the greatest guitarists of all-time:

Frank Zappa, not that many people talk about his guitar skills. Zappa as an artist is underrated and often forgotten by many.

Neil Young, his sound creations and feel for the music are great. He is not as technical as some of the known names like Vai, EVH,etc.

J.J. Cale. people seem to always talk about Clapton, but hardly anybody plays as smooth as JJ.

Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead), speaks for itself, just listen to OK Computer

Also a lot of Metal guitarists are underrated, for example guys from Mercyful Fate or Andy LaRoque from King Diamond

gat300175

And of course Stephen Stills is underrated.

And of course Stephen Stills is underrated.

g1988gt183

Full Access

getting away from rock/blues...Al Dimeola can play

Rock/Blues: Alvin Lee, Robert Fripp, Adrien Belew, Roy Buchanan

getting away from rock/blues...Al Dimeola can play

Rock/Blues: Alvin Lee, Robert Fripp, Adrien Belew, Roy Buchanan

fireandflames84

Over rated guys for me are guys like polyphia, and modern stuff of that genre, to similar sounding. Their albums are almost like 1 hour long songs rather than a varied journey.

Under-rated guys for me are Tramaine, Marco Sfogli and Al Jospeh. All of these put music first. In particular, Tramaine is known for shredding at stupid speeds accurately, yet sparingly does it on his album 'Heavy balance'. Which I thought was a great sign of how an artist should approach guitar music

Over rated guys for me are guys like polyphia, and modern stuff of that genre, to similar sounding. Their albums are almost like 1 hour long songs rather than a varied journey.

Under-rated guys for me are Tramaine, Marco Sfogli and Al Jospeh. All of these put music first. In particular, Tramaine is known for shredding at stupid speeds accurately, yet sparingly does it on his album 'Heavy balance'. Which I thought was a great sign of how an artist should approach guitar music

PhxSon

Full Access

Originally Posted by: JonChorba
I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.

I only had to go back a few pages to find it. I've said this for years.

Listen to "Rumors". It's a masterclass in phrasing.

Originally Posted by: JonChorba
I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.

I only had to go back a few pages to find it. I've said this for years.

Listen to "Rumors". It's a masterclass in phrasing.