Underrated and overrated guitarists

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Underrated and overrated guitarists

JonChorba

I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!

I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!

shaniab

I am going with lalimacefolle on this one, James Hetfield is not only a monster rhythm player ( still don't know how he plays battery and sings at the same time ) but he can EASILY take on Kirk Hammett and win. I am a HUGE met fan and love both of them, but James can beat Kirk hands down, anybody ever here him play Ecstacy of Gold live,

in youtube type in "metallica Ecstacy of Gold live 2009". James plays the solo and KILLS IT!!! He even uses the wah and doesn't overpower the solo with it. He is a really underrated lead guitarist

I am going with lalimacefolle on this one, James Hetfield is not only a monster rhythm player ( still don't know how he plays battery and sings at the same time ) but he can EASILY take on Kirk Hammett and win. I am a HUGE met fan and love both of them, but James can beat Kirk hands down, anybody ever here him play Ecstacy of Gold live,

in youtube type in "metallica Ecstacy of Gold live 2009". James plays the solo and KILLS IT!!! He even uses the wah and doesn't overpower the solo with it. He is a really underrated lead guitarist

Slipin Lizard

Originally Posted by: classicallives
too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim.

Its an opinion, not a claim, so its not groundless. Just because something is difficult to play does not mean its good music to everyone's ears.

Originally Posted by: classicallives
too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim.

Its an opinion, not a claim, so its not groundless. Just because something is difficult to play does not mean its good music to everyone's ears.

Jerry Dylan

over: I've got to say that Clapton is a little overrated and John Mayer. John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under: Albert Collins and the most powerful blues ever. he is so soulful and always has a great funky Rhythm Section.
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique
Dickey Betts, he has always been in Duane's shadow and he wrote some of the biggest Allman Brothers hits as well as playing some solos maybe better than Duane
As for Jimi I think he is underrated in the sense that he did so much for the electric guitar. We remember him for "Purple Haze" and "Fire" when his best stuff wasn't the hits. Listen to "A Merman I Should Turn To Be", "Who Knows" "Machine Gun", "Bold As Love", and "Voodoo Chile" (the bluesy version) then tell us he was overrated.
Also Jack White is a better guitarist then people give him credit for. I can't listen to Dead Weather or the Racontuers, but the White Stripes had some really great blues stuff.

over: I've got to say that Clapton is a little overrated and John Mayer. John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under: Albert Collins and the most powerful blues ever. he is so soulful and always has a great funky Rhythm Section.
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique
Dickey Betts, he has always been in Duane's shadow and he wrote some of the biggest Allman Brothers hits as well as playing some solos maybe better than Duane
As for Jimi I think he is underrated in the sense that he did so much for the electric guitar. We remember him for "Purple Haze" and "Fire" when his best stuff wasn't the hits. Listen to "A Merman I Should Turn To Be", "Who Knows" "Machine Gun", "Bold As Love", and "Voodoo Chile" (the bluesy version) then tell us he was overrated.
Also Jack White is a better guitarist then people give him credit for. I can't listen to Dead Weather or the Racontuers, but the White Stripes had some really great blues stuff.

JonChorba

Originally Posted by: Jerry
over: John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under:

I hear where you're coming from with Mayer, but I disagree solely on the grounds that the majority of people know him as more of a love song writer than as a guitar player. I only knew him as the dude that wrote "Your Body's a Wonderland" than saw him with Double Trouble on Austin City Limits and went, "Wait a second here.."

Totally agree with Jerry though, much respect!!

Originally Posted by: Jerry
over: John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under:

I hear where you're coming from with Mayer, but I disagree solely on the grounds that the majority of people know him as more of a love song writer than as a guitar player. I only knew him as the dude that wrote "Your Body's a Wonderland" than saw him with Double Trouble on Austin City Limits and went, "Wait a second here.."

Totally agree with Jerry though, much respect!!

Jerry Dylan

Yeah Jerry should get more credit than he does now.
john is good because he versitale and can write "Your Body is a wonderland" and play with Double Trouble. But I think if you look at him from just the blues side of it he's playing alot of what has already been done. That being said he does it really well!

Yeah Jerry should get more credit than he does now.
john is good because he versitale and can write "Your Body is a wonderland" and play with Double Trouble. But I think if you look at him from just the blues side of it he's playing alot of what has already been done. That being said he does it really well!

Justin.Ferrari

over - yngwie malmsteen - too much 80s flash :P
under - Billy Sheehan (bass) but damn is he good

over - rusty cooley - just too much shred
under - alexi laiho - just the right amount of shred (under-because hes metal)

that is all :) love this forum btw!

over - yngwie malmsteen - too much 80s flash :P
under - Billy Sheehan (bass) but damn is he good

over - rusty cooley - just too much shred
under - alexi laiho - just the right amount of shred (under-because hes metal)

that is all :) love this forum btw!

bodomshred

Overrated: who cares?
Underrated:
Warren Demartini
Shawn Lane
Jari Mäenpää
Janick Gers
Roland Grapow

Overrated: who cares?
Underrated:
Warren Demartini
Shawn Lane
Jari Mäenpää
Janick Gers
Roland Grapow

peter.yelverton66

Full Access

Originally Posted by:
Finally someone who sees things the way I do :)

The last time I posted on a 'greatest guitarists every' board i was the only one who came up with Lifeson. Nice to know i'm not alone in the guitarist-universe.

You are definitely not alone. I have always thought Lifeson was way underrated. Beyond his playing, you can't play with arguably the greatest drummer in rock and top 5 greatest bassist in rock without being pretty darn good. Some people think you can hide behind other great players, but actually you would stand out more if you weren't on the same level.

Originally Posted by:
Finally someone who sees things the way I do :)

The last time I posted on a 'greatest guitarists every' board i was the only one who came up with Lifeson. Nice to know i'm not alone in the guitarist-universe.

You are definitely not alone. I have always thought Lifeson was way underrated. Beyond his playing, you can't play with arguably the greatest drummer in rock and top 5 greatest bassist in rock without being pretty darn good. Some people think you can hide behind other great players, but actually you would stand out more if you weren't on the same level.

scotthann

I have yet to see anyone list Prince as an underrated guitarist, so I'll throw his name out there. Neil Giraldo is overshadowed by his wife's fame (Pat Benatar), but is a solid guitarist in my opinon. And here's one probably no one has thought of: Andy Griffith. Ever hear him play fingerstyle guitar on his show? Not bad! Also Roy Clark of "Hee Haw" fame.

Overrated for my money is Lenny Kravitz. He appears to be trying to be someone he isn't. Eric Clapton, although very sound technically, isn't someone I find particualrly innovative either. Regaring Jimi Hendrix I'm on the fence. To me, he's the KISS of guitarists. How much substance remains after all the smoke and mirrors (pedals, performing style, dress) is open to interpretation.

I have yet to see anyone list Prince as an underrated guitarist, so I'll throw his name out there. Neil Giraldo is overshadowed by his wife's fame (Pat Benatar), but is a solid guitarist in my opinon. And here's one probably no one has thought of: Andy Griffith. Ever hear him play fingerstyle guitar on his show? Not bad! Also Roy Clark of "Hee Haw" fame.

Overrated for my money is Lenny Kravitz. He appears to be trying to be someone he isn't. Eric Clapton, although very sound technically, isn't someone I find particualrly innovative either. Regaring Jimi Hendrix I'm on the fence. To me, he's the KISS of guitarists. How much substance remains after all the smoke and mirrors (pedals, performing style, dress) is open to interpretation.