Underrated and overrated guitarists

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Underrated and overrated guitarists

magicninja

Guitar Tricks Moderator

Joined: 03/13/02

Posts: 3825

Originally Posted by: CW14


OK guys I hate to do it but since he set himself up......

This^^^^is exactly the kind of thing that can't happen anymore. We were having a perfectly good discussion about Jimi Hendrix and the like. Suddenly someone posts a pic that has absolutly nothing to do with anything. Potentially destroying the thread. It's ok to do this sort of thing in threads that are made to be fun and silly but Please keep them out of serious threads. I'll ask that no one respond to his post or any like it in the future. We gotta keep this place organized guys. We can't fall into disorder anymore.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

#161

Originally Posted by: CW14


OK guys I hate to do it but since he set himself up......

This^^^^is exactly the kind of thing that can't happen anymore. We were having a perfectly good discussion about Jimi Hendrix and the like. Suddenly someone posts a pic that has absolutly nothing to do with anything. Potentially destroying the thread. It's ok to do this sort of thing in threads that are made to be fun and silly but Please keep them out of serious threads. I'll ask that no one respond to his post or any like it in the future. We gotta keep this place organized guys. We can't fall into disorder anymore.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

Kevin Taylor

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Joined: 03/05/00

Posts: 4722

Originally Posted by: Akira
I wonder how many grey hairs you've accumilated due to people misspelling your name...


Just a few...

Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

#162

Originally Posted by: Akira
I wonder how many grey hairs you've accumilated due to people misspelling your name...


Just a few...

Kevin's Guitar Tricks Lessons
Schmange Music U.K./Canada - Home Page
Schmange's iTunes

earthman buck

Registered User

Joined: 10/15/05

Posts: 2953

Originally Posted by: schmange
Just a few...


Fecking hairs!

Father Ted rocks.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

#163

Originally Posted by: schmange
Just a few...


Fecking hairs!

Father Ted rocks.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

damaged

Registered User

Joined: 12/27/05

Posts: 169

Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy
Probably just as many minus the henrix models.



Yes I would. I started playing because my friend got an electric guitar in grade 8, and I thought it was cool. I didn't even know who Jimi was at the time. Don't make assumptions so quickly please.


Not as a direct influence, his influenced thousands of bands and millions of people, his not my favourite guitarist. But not respecting him would be stupid.

#164

Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy
Probably just as many minus the henrix models.



Yes I would. I started playing because my friend got an electric guitar in grade 8, and I thought it was cool. I didn't even know who Jimi was at the time. Don't make assumptions so quickly please.


Not as a direct influence, his influenced thousands of bands and millions of people, his not my favourite guitarist. But not respecting him would be stupid.

Rsam16

Registered User

Joined: 10/21/05

Posts: 349

Originally Posted by: schmange
At the risk of offending anyone:

I've never understood the idolization of Jimmi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and BBKing.

I just don't get it.


Are you serious??? :confused:

Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D
RSAM16
GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan

#165

Originally Posted by: schmange
At the risk of offending anyone:

I've never understood the idolization of Jimmi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and BBKing.

I just don't get it.


Are you serious??? :confused:

Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D
RSAM16
GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan

ericthecableguy

Registered User

Joined: 07/09/05

Posts: 1929

Originally Posted by: Rsam16


Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D


A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB

#166

Originally Posted by: Rsam16


Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D


A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB

Rsam16

Registered User

Joined: 10/21/05

Posts: 349

Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy
A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:


slightly.........
RSAM16
GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan

#167

Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy
A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:


slightly.........
RSAM16
GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan

jiujitsu_jesus

Registered User

Joined: 12/19/05

Posts: 2171

Originally Posted by: Jolly

BB King, for my money, is the most overrated guitarist in the history of any object ever. He doesn't play rhythm, he constantly slides out of key, he needs the BEST backup band in the freakin' WORLD to keep up with his never-ending stream of mistakes, and his style is repetitive. Now, I don't mean he's repetitive in the sense that all blues is repetitive in some way. I mean that the three notes he plays in his solos are usually the same friggin' three notes.


Bravo, Jolly! I've wanted to say that for so long, but I've been too afraid to do so in case I offended any B.B. fans!

I think Frank Gambale is perhaps a bit overrated, as well. He's technically accomplished, but his improvisational style is a bit too messy for my tastes - he can't hold a candle to the likes of Allan Holdsworth or Al Di Meola, with whom he is popularly considered to be in the same class as.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

#168

Originally Posted by: Jolly

BB King, for my money, is the most overrated guitarist in the history of any object ever. He doesn't play rhythm, he constantly slides out of key, he needs the BEST backup band in the freakin' WORLD to keep up with his never-ending stream of mistakes, and his style is repetitive. Now, I don't mean he's repetitive in the sense that all blues is repetitive in some way. I mean that the three notes he plays in his solos are usually the same friggin' three notes.


Bravo, Jolly! I've wanted to say that for so long, but I've been too afraid to do so in case I offended any B.B. fans!

I think Frank Gambale is perhaps a bit overrated, as well. He's technically accomplished, but his improvisational style is a bit too messy for my tastes - he can't hold a candle to the likes of Allan Holdsworth or Al Di Meola, with whom he is popularly considered to be in the same class as.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>

Fenderalltheway

Registered User

Joined: 10/03/05

Posts: 439

Well, I think George Harrison is extremely under-rated.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."

#169

Well, I think George Harrison is extremely under-rated.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."

classicallives

Registered User

Joined: 01/09/11

Posts: 1

too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim. his speed is prolific but the depth in which he constructs his music is second to none. someone like blackmore was OKAY but his soloing was dull and listless. that style of blues, funk rock takes no where near the ammount of dedication and tecnhique that classical style playing does, alot of malmsteens songs are derrived and inspired by bach, vivaldi, paganini, especially paganini and his music was largely performed on violin which is tuned in 5th and to play it on guitar is immensly difficlt. his style is broad and solos are full of passion and life, none of the formentioned guitarists even come close to his skill and technique maybe hendrix vai and satch but besides that, no funk prog blues querky guitarist comes close :)

#170

too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim. his speed is prolific but the depth in which he constructs his music is second to none. someone like blackmore was OKAY but his soloing was dull and listless. that style of blues, funk rock takes no where near the ammount of dedication and tecnhique that classical style playing does, alot of malmsteens songs are derrived and inspired by bach, vivaldi, paganini, especially paganini and his music was largely performed on violin which is tuned in 5th and to play it on guitar is immensly difficlt. his style is broad and solos are full of passion and life, none of the formentioned guitarists even come close to his skill and technique maybe hendrix vai and satch but besides that, no funk prog blues querky guitarist comes close :)