What does everyone think of Mark Tremonti as a guitarist?

Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/26/2001 1:13 am
I want to make clear that this is not asking what you think of Creed. Creed sucks (to me anyway). I want to know what you think about their guitarist, not them.

I think that Mark is extremely talented in creating both great classical type stuff, and heavy riffs. Creed couldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for him.
MYK
# 1
James Hetfield Is Jesus
James Hetfield Is Jesus
05/26/2001 1:58 am
He is a kick ass guitarist, but creed sucks...
JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 2
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/27/2001 8:56 pm

MYK
# 3
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/28/2001 1:48 pm
Somewhere I have a CD from Creed, only never listened to it.
I will listen one of these days and let you know.

# 4
Joepooch
Joepooch
05/28/2001 8:25 pm
i think mark is amazing.. his rifs have that heavy heavy crunch that you love to hear and his classical style involved as well.. his interludes kick ass! (ex. what if and torn).. he can write a really kick ass heavy song or he can slow it down and write a damn good balled! i also heard he writes some of creeds lyrics too!
joe walker
# 5
Riffs
Riffs
05/29/2001 12:05 am
Mark Tremonti is nothing special, he plays a lot of barre cords with some simple riffs, that doesn't make him a bad guitar player.

A lot of people like the vibe he puts into his guitar playing and that's cool, but I don't think he is playing anything that a lot of guitar players are capable of.

If Tremonti's style is what turns you on then thats cool!
I do not like his guitar style to much!
So I don't say he is a bad guitar player, he's just not the type of guitarist I like.

To each there own! :)
# 6
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
05/30/2001 11:03 am
Lets just put it this way ive only been playing guitar for about a year and ive completed all of his songs in less than a week, you give me a mark tremonti solo that remotely is hard and ill admit hes good, ive seen them in concert it didnt convince me any. He just lacks originality and tries too hard to be good. oh yeah and ive heard someone say he pays "classical" music what classical music a 30 second 2 chord fingerpicking progression nope thats not classical. well thats my opinion bye.
# 7
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
05/30/2001 6:41 pm
He's a really good guitarist under the surface. what he excudes in his albums is in no way what he's capable of. I guess the shred that he's capable of doesn't fit into what the bands doing. I do like creed, some of there softer songs they can keep, but my own prison,what if, and higher were pretty good in my book.
"Take my hand boss"
# 8
Joseph
Joseph
06/06/2001 2:30 am
I think hes one of the only guitarists today (in the mainstream) who actually takes his overall style seriously. But yes I do feel that hes holding himself back a bit, I mean hes capable of so much more as a guitarist, hopefully we'll be hearing some more of his flashy style on the next Creed record. I'de love to hear some of his extended guitar solos, I feel he really has something special to offer to the music industry, (not to say that he hasn't already brought something great to the field), but I think he could do much better. Once hes given the feeedom, he should take it.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 9
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
06/06/2001 3:29 am
Whats this crap about Mark Tremontis isnt given enough freedom to play what he wants, or it doesnt fit his band or, he cant play long solos or play fast because creeds music is too soft, do you think Jimi Hendrix would still be the best guitarist that ever lived if he had to play whatever the hell was out there before he came along because it didnt fit his music he writes, no i dont think so. like i was implying on my other reply dont give credit where credit isnt due.
# 10
Riffs
Riffs
06/06/2001 6:29 pm
Originally posted by chris mascarenas
Whats this crap about Mark Tremontis isnt given enough freedom to play what he wants, or it doesnt fit his band or, he cant play long solos or play fast because creeds music is too soft, do you think Jimi Hendrix would still be the best guitarist that ever lived if he had to play whatever the hell was out there before he came along because it didnt fit his music he writes, no i dont think so. like i was implying on my other reply dont give credit where credit isnt due.
chris,

I agree with your well-informed assessment concerning the quality of
Mark Tremonti's guitar playing, Very perceptive!
Good point about Jimi Hendrix and Mark Tremonti.

Riffs :)

# 11
Joseph
Joseph
06/07/2001 2:41 am
I can't deny that Mark Tremonti is very talented, but I would be interested in hearing a few side projects on his his behalf, because then that would give a lot of us an idea of what hes truly capable of. But with Creed's popularity as of late, it doesn't seem like this would happen..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 12
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/01/2002 8:10 pm
I think he is pretty good but Creed sucks except for their first album.
# 13
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/08/2002 7:51 pm
The only thing I don't like about Creed is the singer. Without him, they would be a much better band, especially because of Mark's skill for creating heavy, hit someone in the face riffs, and also making peaceful, clean, lay down and relax songs.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 14
smcleod1991
smcleod1991
01/14/2017 9:37 am

Personally, I think that Creed's debut Album is one of the greatest I have heard. Anything beyond that I dislike greatly. 'My Own Prison' is so great to me for a few reasons. First and foremost, Mark Tremonti's guitar work. Granted, it wasn't anything extremely fresh, or overly skillful. It was the writing, the craft of the album.

Now that that is out of the way, I believe Mark is one of the greatest Modern guitarists. At least of the last 13 years. His work on Alter Bridge's 'Blackbird' album is what really pushed me to pick up a guitar. I was already interested due to Metallica, Pabtera, Megadeth, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc...

But, hearing the guitarist of Creed play what he did in Alter Bridge, it was just so fucking awesome. Like, "holly shit! That's the dude from Creed?".

By the time his first solo album came out, I was already a huge fan. Hearing him play Speed/Thrash Metal just made me more of a fan. His vocals could use some work, but as a self taught guitarist, he is easily in my top three. At number two, I'd say. With Devin Townsend and Joe Satriani fighting for first.

# 15
smcleod1991
smcleod1991
10/18/2017 4:02 pm

Hahahahaha.......little did they know...[u]16 years later, he would be one of the finest guitarists of the past 15 years.[/u]

# 16
friendl
friendl
03/30/2018 3:33 pm

I've seen Mark live 4 times with Alter Bridge and 1 time with Tremonti. He's a great guitarist, underrated in my opinion. His work with Alter Bridge I believe is his best work.

Lee.

I've been learning guitar 'properly' since 2012.

I class myself as an advanced beginner hobbyist guitarist.

# 17
joescott13
Full Access
joescott13
Full Access
05/15/2018 4:49 pm

Honestly, I think Mark Tremonti is the best guitarist alive today. IMHO, his solo stuff under the name of Tremonti is some of the best modern rock being made. He plays using more than one tuning which creates some wild vibes in different songs. I'm 50 years old but I don't get overly nostalgic about older tunes and believe that music genres have to evolve to keep them relevant and Mark definitely advances Hard Rock and Metal to new places.

Also, he has a new album dropping in early June called The Dying Machine. Everyone can check out the new videos on YouTube.

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.