DJ Here!

DJ_1123
DJ_1123
07/23/2022 7:31 pm

Started a few months ago, I think Guitar Tricks is a good course, lots of tools and helpful advice, but after a few months, I'm stuck doing the same thing over and over. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the course, but I don't feel like I'm progressing at all. As for the F chord, I try it every day and it sounds the same everyday, half of the strings are muted out...I've basically run out of options on it. Any suggestions on the F chord, or jump starting my progress wpuld be geatly appreciated.

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
07/23/2022 11:45 pm

Hi there,

the F- chord is one of the toughest to master. I've been at it for three years and still sometimes I get a muffled sound out of it. I wouldn't worry about how it sounds for now. You could always leave out the low e string first fret if that's what is causing the problem. As you progress in lessons you'll discover other variations or "voicings" of the chord that might actually be easier but for now I'd recommend just keep plugging away and it will work itself out in time. How much time theres really is no definitive answer I could give you. Hang in there buddy it's a marathon not a race.

Moe

# 2
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
07/26/2022 1:15 pm

It took me over a year to get the F and B barre chords down. Go to the guitar tricks tool box and look up the Fm7 chord. It's a C shaped chord that sounds cool and is easy to play. You can also barre the 1st and 2nd strings instead of the whole fret and then work your way up to the full barre.

Just keeping working away on it., You'll get it.

# 3
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
07/26/2022 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Blakeney8

It took me over a year to get the F and B barre chords down. Go to the guitar tricks tool box and look up the Fm7 chord. It's a C shaped chord that sounds cool and is easy to play. You can also barre the 1st and 2nd strings instead of the whole fret and then work your way up to the full barre.

Just keeping working away on it., You'll get it.

# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
08/22/2022 3:04 am

Hey Dj -

Glad you're here.

Barre chords are a challenge for everyone at first - especially if you're playing acoustic. For me it's a little easier on a Les Paul - scale length perhaps? I heard somewhere that string tension on the longer scale electrics is a bit lower than say, a Tele.

Try moving your wrist a little further underneath the neck so as to position your thumb at or a tiny bit lower than the midpoint of the neck.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.