Old hippies never die.... I hope

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/23/2022 1:58 am

Nicolai here, 60 yo and the only thing I've never quit at is quitting guitar. Hopefully that changes in here. Heard that this is the place for beginners of all levels. I've looked around a bit and it appears that the fundamental courses and all levels of advanced genre based courses are taught by the same instructor - Anders Mouridson. I must be missing something.

I can read music (both standard notation and tabs) and really dig blues. I can play a lot of chords (open and barre) but pretty weak on theory. Any suggestions on where to jump in?

Thanks,

Nicolai

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/23/2022 8:57 am

Try starting from where you left off :)

New username, new beginning, eh?

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2022 12:50 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

I've looked around a bit and it appears that the fundamental courses and all levels of advanced genre based courses are taught by the same instructor - Anders Mouridson. I must be missing something.[/quote]

There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner. The idea here is to isolate & streamline the cirriculum all in one step-by-step process.

There are 3 versions of the Fundamentals courses. Anders is the most recently published. Lisa did the previous version, which you can find by clicking on the button Old Course With Lisa under the landing page video. Or here are the direct links.

Lisa GF1

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals1lisa

Lisa GF2

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2lisa

Mine is the oldest set.

Old GF1

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=guitarfundamentals1v1(discontinued)

Old GF2

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

If you beyond the fundamental stages, you might enjoy material from one of the Style courses.

https://www.guitartricks.com/experienced.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialties here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus. In general, these are for diving deeper into any given concept or technique. They are not necessary per se to the streamlined core learning system, but will help once a student develops more interest in a certain style or technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

For example, if you want to know more about improvisation I have this collection of tutorials.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

If you want to learn how to play every major & minor triad & inversion all over the fretboard. I have this collection of tutorials.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

If you want to dive deeper into finger picking, you'll find a lot of that in the acoustic course, and also in Lisa's directory. Scroll down about halfway & you'll see a big category of fingerpicking from beginner to intermediate.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=311296

If you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask! The GT database of lessons is enormous! That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

[quote=aliasmaximus]I can read music (both standard notation and tabs) and really dig blues. I can play a lot of chords (open and barre) but pretty weak on theory. Any suggestions on where to jump in?

This collection of tutorials is focused on music theory.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/music-theory

Other than that, it depends on your skill level & goals. What can you already do? What can't you do that you want to learn? What kind of music do you want to play?

If you post more detailed info about your situation, then I can try to point you in the right direction. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
xTJBx
xTJBx
02/23/2022 2:27 pm

Did someone say hippie?

Welcome to the platform dude! Obviously the instructor gave you some awesome tips on where to look. I think getting really good with scales/modes would be a good start.

# 4
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/23/2022 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Try starting from where you left off :)

New username, new beginning, eh?

No harm, no foul :)

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/23/2022 9:02 pm
Originally Posted by: xTJBx

Did someone say hippie?

Welcome to the platform dude! Obviously the instructor gave you some awesome tips on where to look. I think getting really good with scales/modes would be a good start.

I've read one of your posts before. You're clearly a hippie... but you're anything but stupid, my friend.

Thanks for the tip

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/23/2022 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

If you post more detailed info about your situation, then I can try to point you in the right direction. Hope that helps!

WOW, did you stay up all night writing that ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Christopher!

I'm like a kid in a candy store now

Nicolai

# 7
Airborne2466
Airborne2466
03/17/2022 11:45 am

Hi, another (I prefer the term experienced, and not old), Hippie here. I am new to this game as well but I am finding that just concentrating on the basics and not all the theory is the path to go down for me. All I want to do is learn 50 or more chords correctly and learn how to play some blues and rock pretty well. GT is a great way to guide me, but I am not 12 and at Grammar School again, I can choose the songs from the fantastic choice and learn them at my own pace. I would have loved to have had one to one instruction, but sadly that did not happen, so GT came to my rescue (I would have preferred a beautiful woman, but I guess GT will have to suffice). Just Listen to your music to get yourself in the mood, I love 'War and Treaty' to get me psyched up and then practice your socks. Have a fantastic Day and only see sunshine?. Would love to know how you are progressing. Darren.

# 8
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/18/2022 6:08 am

Hey Airborne, sounds like you have the right idea. I did Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 with both Lisa and Anders. Originally, I got bogged down trying to perfect each lesson before moving one. That's a deathtrap. With the help of many members and some instructors here at GT I came to realize that I needed to relax and just do the tutorials adequately and keep going. I also started learning some of the easier songs from the library here and that really helps make things a lot more fun.

Once I finished GF 1 & 2.... I did them again, but skipped over the stuff that I'd more or less mastered and worked on the lessons that I had trouble with the first time around. Having finished up GF 1 & 2, I'm now simultaneously doing a couple of the advanced tracks in the curriculum (Rock & Blues). Once in a while I get tipped about other appropriate tutorials, like learning the CAGED system of chords (sounds like that one would be for you).

So, I'm essentially meandering around, sampling the wares a bit more, and I'm amazed at how much better I'm getting in all areas: technique, playing songs, timing, theory, reading music, learning chords, licks, riffs, etc. Honestly, I've come further in a few months than I'd expected to get in a few years. Even so, it doesn't happen as fast as I'd like. I guess that's pretty much the case with everyone here.

I hope that I've answered your question at least in part. If you have any specific questions about my musical safari here on GT, I'd be happy to try answering them for you.

Wishing you the best on starting in on a long wild ride.

Nicolai

# 9
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
03/19/2022 1:40 pm

Christopher - your response here is a great example of the type of thing that made me a subscriber rather than just someone who samples the free stuff.

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2022 2:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Christopher - your response here is a great example of the type of thing that made me a subscriber rather than just someone who samples the free stuff.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you are enjoying GT!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/19/2022 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Rumble_Walrus

Couldn't have said it better myself, Walrus. I neglected to thank you Christoper for the amazing response to my original post in this thread. In terms of helpfulness, your message was way over the top, even for you Chris. I've completed every one of the tutorials that you linked to. Your theory related lessons were especially enlightening and helpful. I kinda feel like a bone fide musician now :)

Nicolai

# 12
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2022 3:02 pm
Originally Posted by: aliasmaximusIn terms of helpfulness, your message was way over the top, even for you Chris. I've completed every one of the tutorials that you linked to. Your theory related lessons were especially enlightening and helpful. I kinda feel like a bone fide musician now :)

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you found my lessons helpful. Congrats on working through all those! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 13
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/19/2022 4:00 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Congrats on working through all those! :)

Christopher - looking back at all of those links again, I realize that I [u]may[/u] have overstated my accomplishments just a [u]tad[/u] (ok, a lot). Obviously, I didn't tackle the entire song catalog, I'd already done GF 1 & 2, and I'm currently only about halfway through the advanced courses by Anders. Actually, because you linked to the Instructors page, I technically would have needed to finish every tutorial by every instructor. I don't want you thinking that I'm either some sort of musical wunderkind or a bold faced liar, so please allow me to clarify:

I [u]followed[/u] every one of your links and completed most of what could be considered as "core curriculum" type tutorials. My overstatement was, I believe, not so much a reflection of grandiosity or deceit on my part, and more a testament to just how comprehensive your recommendations were. You are indeed an amazing instructor through and through.

Nicolai

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.