Help

jstevenson6945
jstevenson6945
10/14/2021 2:13 pm

Hi everyone ive just got this app to learn guitar its been a life long ambition (im 52)

Im dong the core learning thing from scratch and now upto chapter 3 at the daves riff secton , now i can play it when alone (odd mistake albeit) but when it comes to playing along with lisa ( the instructor) i cant seem to put 6 notes together and crumble for some reason

Can any of you give me any advice please its really doing my head in been at this bit for 3 days i just cant seem to get past the play along part lol

# 1
snpfarm
snpfarm
10/14/2021 4:24 pm
Originally Posted by: jstevenson6945

Hi everyone ive just got this app to learn guitar its been a life long ambition (im 52)

Im dong the core learning thing from scratch and now upto chapter 3 at the daves riff secton , now i can play it when alone (odd mistake albeit) but when it comes to playing along with lisa ( the instructor) i cant seem to put 6 notes together and crumble for some reason

Can any of you give me any advice please its really doing my head in been at this bit for 3 days i just cant seem to get past the play along part lol

Not sure if I can offer assistance but I feel your pain. I've been playing off and on for 40 years. I've always found it easier to play the melody type stuff like opening riffs, bridges, solos. For example I can play most of Dickie Best's part of the song Jessica. When it comes playing rhythm along with a song I loose it. I've said it's because I have absolutely zero rhythm. Not sure if rhythm can be learned or not??

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/14/2021 6:49 pm

It's probably just the added 'pressure' of playing along with something or someone. Try watching the video and tapping along with the rhythm for a few times, then try playing.

I'd suggest trying to play along a couple of times, then go onto the next lesson; you can always come back to this on the next day and try it again.

I've only known of one guitar player with no sense of timing/rhythm, and he couldn't distinguish between 4/4 and 3/4 timing.

Just stick at it. You'll get it eventually.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/14/2021 9:32 pm

Hey & welcome to GT.

Originally Posted by: jstevenson6945 . . .now i can play it when alone (odd mistake albeit) but when it comes to playing along with lisa ( the instructor) i cant seem to put 6 notes together and crumble for some reason . . .

This is a completely normal beginner level problem.

The solution is repetitious practice. The more hours logged on your guitar, the more your playing becomes automated. You need to practice to the point at which you can do the motions in your sleep without having to think about the next motion, note, chord, etc.

When you first start playing you are focused on every small detail: the location of the next note, the placement of your fingers, pcikign the right string, etc. You need to practice until you make those little mechanical things you do all second nature. So, that all you have to think about with your conscious mind is the bigger picture things like, "Here comes the next line, or section of the song". All while your hours of repetitious practice result in muscle memory that takes care of the small details.

Keep practicing! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
jstevenson6945
jstevenson6945
10/17/2021 2:19 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

It's probably just the added 'pressure' of playing along with something or someone. Try watching the video and tapping along with the rhythm for a few times, then try playing.

I'd suggest trying to play along a couple of times, then go onto the next lesson; you can always come back to this on the next day and try it again.

I've only known of one guitar player with no sense of timing/rhythm, and he couldn't distinguish between 4/4 and 3/4 timing.

Just stick at it. You'll get it eventually.

# 5
jstevenson6945
jstevenson6945
10/17/2021 2:27 pm

Thank you for your help and advice everyone i got there in the end after hours of practice , im loving this app , i have got further in a few weeks of having this app than i did yrs of off and on you tube videos

See you all in chapter 4 when im stuck lol and ty again for your advice ppl

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/17/2021 4:20 pm

You're welcome! The answer is almost always pratice more. :) Good job on following through![br][br]

Originally Posted by: jstevenson6945[p]See you all in chapter 4 when im stuck lol and ty again for your advice ppl

Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
pupsmom61
Full Access
pupsmom61
Full Access
10/17/2021 8:30 pm

I have that problem too! I find that if I slow down the video, I do a lot better and can actually play along. Then the more I practice I can up my speed and my playing confidence. I really like Christopher's explanation. Hope it's going well!

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/18/2021 11:44 am
Originally Posted by: pupsmom61

I have that problem too! I find that if I slow down the video, I do a lot better and can actually play along. Then the more I practice I can up my speed and my playing confidence. I really like Christopher's explanation. Hope it's going well!

Glad you liked it! Keep practicing & best of success. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.