Getting started again

double_dschram
double_dschram
09/20/2021 3:16 am

Enjoyed playing in the 70's. Looking forward to learning some new songs and great licks!

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/20/2021 7:53 pm

60s & 70s , a great time for the guitar. I envy you.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/21/2021 12:14 am

I couldn't play in the '70s (I tried) but that radio of mine doesn't seem to be able to find anything but channels from the '60s and '70s. Music may have continued beyond that but I'm not sure... I can't swear to it.

Best of luck, hopefully for you, its like riding a bicycle.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/21/2021 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

from the '60s and '70s. Music may have continued beyond that but I'm not sure... I can't swear to it.

Ha-ha, I agree that music wasn't the same unless you consider iron maiden, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, etc. Did either of you get to see any live famous guitarists?

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/21/2021 5:47 pm

Regrettably no, not me.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/23/2021 4:44 pm

I couldn't play in the '70s (I tried) but that radio of mine doesn't seem to be able to find anything but channels from the '60s and '70s. Music may have continued beyond that but I'm not sure... I can't swear to it.

[p]

Clearly the same for me. I mean, I do dig Markus King. Tedeschi Trucks and the like but in the end, that stuff sounds a whole lot like stuff from the 70's.

There are times where I think to myelf that I might be smallminded about current popular music overall and then I wade in to that swamp. Nope. Pretty much garbage. I mean, in any other era, you would never had Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow!

I find myself going back and learning riffs from the 70's. Lately I've been tooling around with Free's 'All Right Now' (an easy one), the Feetwood Mac song 'Oh Well', though I am predisposed to the Rockets version. Or Montrose 'Rock Candy'. Just big, great guitar riffs and one very different from the other.

Funny, I was ay a pizzaria in St Augustine a week ago and there was a music trivia thing going on and a lot of the 'questions' were current songs and people would reply and so on but then one was Skynyrd 'Gimme Three Steps' and when the sound sample was stopped, everyone was all like 'Play it!'. Not just the oldies. There were people in their 20's not looking all to old school that were jammin' as much as anyone. Hearing Skynyrd against the backdrop of those other songs, it was easy to see why us oldies and even young'ns are drawn too it. It was very much a standout and fresh air as compared to other, more recent songs.

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/23/2021 9:38 pm

Yeah that old music was great!!! But those 70s musicians were prone to mouthing off about politics, and our overlords don't appreciate that. So they changed the rules on radio stations and Clear Channel bought every radio station in amerika. Then they immidiately filled the airwaves with grid timing and auto tuning. Who need mouthy people if you can get a machine to produce the product. I heard one of the Eagles quote David Geffen as saying "Producing music would be so much easier it you didn't have to deal with Artists"! That pretty much sums up the industry these days. Community radio used to support local music and this was where much of that great music was generated. It was an artistic expression of the people.

Now amerikian musac has returned to the place where songs like "How much is that doggy in the window" are about the best compositions you can get. I am sure that was never part of the plan (thick sarcasum here)... but that is exactly what happened to the music. Who needs a bunch of creative types having a voice in the national debate.

We now have billionairs who take care of all that usless chatter by simple lying. Much more efficent, much less interesting. Who cares what the music sounds like as long as the money keeps piling up in the right pockets.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7
LynnS1951
LynnS1951
09/24/2021 3:26 am

I was at art shool in Toronto in the early 70's. We used to hang out in dives where blues bands played live. I saw lots of big concerts: Ronnie Hawkins, The Guess Who, Chicago, the Stones, the Bee Gees, Tom Waits, Kris Kristoffersen, Rush (opening for the New York Dolls). I was at the infamous Mainline Bump & Grind Revue at the Victory. We mostly stood in line for general admission and got near front row seats (not the Stones). However, I didn't care about guitar back then. I do agree that there's no point even having a car radio any more. I keep meaning to put a playlist on a thumb drive.

# 8
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
09/26/2021 10:15 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

[p]

Clearly the same for me. I mean, I do dig Markus King. Tedeschi Trucks and the like but in the end, that stuff sounds a whole lot like stuff from the 70's.

There are times where I think to myelf that I might be smallminded about current popular music overall and then I wade in to that swamp. Nope. Pretty much garbage. I mean, in any other era, you would never had Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow!

I find myself going back and learning riffs from the 70's. Lately I've been tooling around with Free's 'All Right Now' (an easy one), the Feetwood Mac song 'Oh Well', though I am predisposed to the Rockets version. Or Montrose 'Rock Candy'. Just big, great guitar riffs and one very different from the other.

Funny, I was ay a pizzaria in St Augustine a week ago and there was a music trivia thing going on and a lot of the 'questions' were current songs and people would reply and so on but then one was Skynyrd 'Gimme Three Steps' and when the sound sample was stopped, everyone was all like 'Play it!'. Not just the oldies. There were people in their 20's not looking all to old school that were jammin' as much as anyone. Hearing Skynyrd against the backdrop of those other songs, it was easy to see why us oldies and even young'ns are drawn too it. It was very much a standout and fresh air as compared to other, more recent songs.

im 50 and my kids are teenagers. They are into 60's and 70's rock. They really appreciate it and are drawn to it. One of my son's who plays guitar on and off came to me a while back and said "hey dad, I'm messing around and learned a little bit of that bird song solo. I can do the first little bit and it sounds cool". He then played part of the Free Bird solo at proper speed, pretty much effortlessly and without error.

I don't think I could ever hate my children but at that moment, I was darn close...

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.