Hello, new guy here!

dwills468
dwills468
08/23/2020 4:06 pm

# 1
dwills468
dwills468
08/23/2020 4:11 pm

Sorry, accidentally hit the submit. Ok, my name's Dave and I just started playing a couple months ago. Until now I've only been watching videos. I'm starting at the beginning with Lisa and already feel like it was worth starting there. [br]I have an embarrassing question though. Of all the videos I watched, nobody ever told me how to stop dropping my pic down the sound hole. I feel like I'm playing the game Operation getting it out of there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me crazy. Lol.[br][br]

thank you

# 2
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/23/2020 7:23 pm

Hello and welcome !

Your post reminds me of a picture of John Lennon holding his guitar upside down trying to get his pick out. If it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us!

A few tips that you may find helpful:

1) Try different types of picks, Some have nice grips that prevent slipping. They also come in different levels of flexibility. A more flexible pick may help. It helped me.

2) Try holding the guitar so that the strings are perpendicular to the floor. That way, if you lose your grip, it will usually will fall on the floor instead of in the sound hole.

3) When strumming, try to lead a bit with your hand so the pick strikes the strings at such an angle so that it glances off the strings rather than slamming into them. It takes a bit of practice but before long you`ll get the feel of it.

I`m sure more experienced players can offer more insight. Hopefully this helps.

Jeff

# 3
dwills468
dwills468
08/23/2020 10:56 pm

Haha...yea. Thanks Jeff. I've done that but now I put double sided tape on one of my wife's hair things and pull it out Operation style. If I hit the strings it's like the buzzer and it falls back in and I lose. [br]Appreciate the tips. Wish I would've picked this up a long time ago.

# 4
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/24/2020 5:29 pm
Originally Posted by: dwills468

Of all the videos I watched, nobody ever told me how to stop dropping my pic down the sound hole. I feel like I'm playing the game Operation getting it out of there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me crazy. Lol.

thank you

Hey Dave -- this is exactly the kind of beginner problem that experienced players and teachers will overlook. That's awesome that you have drawn attention to it! My only answer is that eventually it will stop happening. I TOTALLY remember how often this happened to me when I first started. BUT I can't think of a single time it has happened to me in like 20 years. So just know you'll eventually stop doing it when you get much better with your picking hand. :)

I'm trying to think of a parallel example in daily life -- something we all do at first and then feel like we magically stop doing. I suppose it's like all other guitar skills...

Love this. Thanks for bringing it up! Also, glad you are enjoying the Lisa videos. She's great! And please post ANY other questions you have, any time and we'll help.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 5
dwills468
dwills468
08/25/2020 9:38 am

Hey Carl.

Thanks for the message. Was beginning to think it was just me. Never saw it mentioned anywhere. [br]Im sure it's just like anything else and it'll get better with practice. [br]Dave

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/30/2020 3:36 pm

hasn't been said but us beginners tilt the guitar so we can see the frets or the strings.

Allows gravity to hit the hole.

As we get better and hold more upright it will not drop in as easy.

or just buy a multi bag of picks

Must be a Dave thing to submit a blank post.

You can hit edit and delete.

Not that I've ever done such a thing

Dave to Dave

# 7
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
08/31/2020 11:50 am

Hey everyone. I'm Andrew just subscribed to learn guitar. I own a epiphone dr-100. I've never played before.

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/31/2020 1:13 pm
Originally Posted by: aorezechowski

Hey everyone. I'm Andrew just subscribed to learn guitar. I own a epiphone dr-100. I've never played before.

Good luck with your studies Andrew.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.