Hello!

skklogw7
skklogw7
08/13/2020 11:54 pm

Hi. My name is Kurt. I have learned in the past (about 15 years ago) and got to an intermediate level, but have decided to get back in the game and learn blues the way I've always wanted to. Very excited to learn this style and more.

I am starting from the beginning foundations again to remind myself of all the basic techniques and to get my muscle memory back.

So far I just have one question regarding the site... on the home page it has one link to 'Beginner Lessons' and another to 'Experienced Lessons'.

Is it correct that both use the same exact core learning system, but then branch off in different directions from there (beginner going to 'songs made easy', 'practice for beginners', and 'tuning and guitar maintence' vs experienced going to style, techniques, artist studies, etc.?). Is there any difference in the core learning systems between these two paths?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/14/2020 10:53 am

Hi Kurt,

I dont have an answer to your question on the 2 Fundamentals, not without going through them again and looking at them in detail.J ust wanted to say welcome and good luck with your studies.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/14/2020 11:14 pm
Originally Posted by: skklogw7

I am starting from the beginning foundations again to remind myself of all the basic techniques and to get my muscle memory back.

So far I just have one question regarding the site... on the home page it has one link to 'Beginner Lessons' and another to 'Experienced Lessons'.

Is it correct that both use the same exact core learning system, but then branch off in different directions from there (beginner going to 'songs made easy', 'practice for beginners', and 'tuning and guitar maintence' vs experienced going to style, techniques, artist studies, etc.?). Is there any difference in the core learning systems between these two paths?

Hi Kurt, I applaud your decision to go back through the fundamentals even though you probably know most of it. It's always smart to reinforce and check things out to see if there may be some little nugget of knowledge you missed along the way.

There is no difference between the core learning systems other than what you already identified - the Experienced has the styles, artist studies, and techniques, but the rest of it is the same. Of course there is plenty of material that is not actually included in the core learning system paths.

Good luck!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 3
skklogw7
skklogw7
08/18/2020 2:52 am

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/24/2023 4:58 am

Hey Kurt -

Your story sounds exactly like mine from a couple of years ago:  exactly!

I went ahead and worked through all of the beginner lessons before hitting the blues course and I’m very glad that I did.  I was a good high intermediate acoustic guitarist who wanted to play electric lead - blues first in particular, then move on to rock.  That was a couple of years ago and I couldn’t be happier with my choice to get on here at GT.

From a musical standpoint, the beginner course was stuff I’ve know for decades with not much new at all for me BUT (intentions caps here) I identified and was able to correct a lot of technical inaccuracies in my playing that I believe were part of the reason I wasn’t able to move my playing to “the next level”.  For example, properly adjusting how I hold a pick has made a noticeable change in the quality of my play.  I’d always faked/bulshitted my way all these years covering up my own inadequacies through a number of these technical issues but the stuff here at GT is  getting me through it.

You’ll hear a lot of complaints about the loss of songs (sadly true) but the quality, variety, and volume of teaching content here is truly superb.  For me, the song library was a great bonus, but I was more interested in learning to play for myself (improvise) rather than just copy the playing of others.

2 years for me now and I plan on being around for a while.

Welcome!

Rumble

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.