A Place To Practice

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/08/2020 4:27 pm

It doesn't just apply to newbies.

I have always had the same desire to 'keep my practice to myself.' It'd be nice if that was due to being considerate but it also has a lot to do with me not wanting My Lady or anyone else hearing just how bad my playing can be. My practice is always better when free of unintended ears and I can concentrate on my playing without concern for others or how I sound to them.

My Lady has a well defined schedule and I arrange my practice sessions around those consistent times when she's out of the house, e.g., early morning tending to horses, walking the dog, etc.. Late this spring I modified my schedule further so that I can get an half-hour or more of practice before she gets up in the morning. My practice room is on a different level from the bedroom and, with closed doors (and her ability to sleep ) the sound doesn't reach her.

I'm a great believer in a set practice schedule... the same minimum length of practice at the same time each practice day. IMO, that's very important whether or not one is sensitive to others' presence.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/08/2020 4:56 pm

If you are practicing on an electric guitar, you can effectivly play the insturment with no amp. The fingering isthe same, the strummng is the same, the sound is not.

Another option is to get an amp with a head phone jack and use headphones to shield those around you.

Or, get a pocket rocket amp, headphones, and cut the chord leading to an amp on the wall. Now you can play as loud as you want, anywhere you want, without disturbing anybody. You can then play anywhere with a very small amount of equipment required... Hell you don't even need to plug any thing into the wall, so you are free to play inside the house or outside.

Another idea is to get a Travler Guitar that even opens up hotel rooms, airports and any other crowded place for practice, any time. It is a minimal amount of equipment that can fit into a small, portable case. Stop watching the Departures/ Arrival displays clicking over, and over, and over... and practice your chords, and scales. As a bonus, the sound on these portable amps is pretty good through headphones. Once you put on the headphones, you are off into a world all your own. Flail away!!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/08/2020 5:56 pm

Just in case this helps anyone -- know that this is even common among top musicians! I know a famous and successful drummer who told me he doesn't want to practice if he feels his drumming is disturbing anyone. I totally agree on the headphones thing, too -- works great! Especially when the wife is trying to sleep... :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
tomrad805
Full Access
tomrad805
Full Access
06/09/2020 5:04 pm
Originally Posted by: pointmanrb

I find myself trying to practice but being too concerned about my wife's ears, as I fumble thru things on this road to success.

In effect, I've been trying to do this and be quiet about it because of the mistakes and repetition.

I too practice in private in a room seperate from the house to preserve the sanity of my wife.

However I have heard her humming these same repetitious tunes Im practicing. I think she secretly listning . Maybe she likes the mistakes and repetition? Just saying!

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/09/2020 6:40 pm

I too practice in private in a roo..m seperate from the house to preserve the sanity of my wife.

However I have heard her humming these same repetitious tunes Im practicing. I think she secretly listning . Maybe she likes the mistakes and repetition? Just saying!

[/quote]

Or you are glimpsing the subliminal power of music to simply bypass the concious brain and go for the sub concious where it actually works its magic.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
Gambatte
Gambatte
06/10/2020 9:53 pm

Started with an acoustic a couple of months ago. Realised I was being too polite and I wasn't practicing correctly because of it.

Bought an electric and play it unplugged when I need to be quiet (such as 6am 😁) amps not been used much at all.

Seems the acoustic is currently still my 'go to' though.

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2020 4:20 pm

PRIVACY is SUPER-IMPORTANT in practicing. You must do your very best to find or create a space where you KNOW nobody can hear you. Only in privacy can you allow your mind and focus to go deeply into what you are working on, free of distrating thoughts of others' reactions.

Woops - can you tell I am passionate about this issue?

With love, Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2020 4:21 pm

PS: my 83-year-old father sometimes takes his ukulele out to his car to practice in private! Just shove the seat back and have at it.

Not so easy to do with a guitar, but you get the idea - get innovative on your own behalf!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.