Back After 45 Years!

protoplanetary01
protoplanetary01
06/06/2020 8:32 pm

Hi, guys.

My name is Steve. I may be Guitar Tricks oldest student! Currently 69 years old. Taught myself bass guitar and played in a band when I was 15-21 or so. Then I stopped playing for about 45 years. (Bad move!)

When I decided to get back into music, I knew I loved the bass, but an acoustic would be a better choice since I'd be playing alone. My nephew gave me an old Washburn, and I taught myself what I could. You need to know the notes that comprise a chord to play bass, so I knew a lot of the introductory stuff from the guys in the band. Then last year I decided I wanted to learn electric. Picked up a MIM Stratocaster and started with Jimi Hendrix "The Wind Cries Mary". Suffice it to say that 4 months later I'm still working on it; but I loved the feel of playing again, so I started to look some good online instruction. Guitartricks was always in the top five, so I figured I'd give it a shot, and start with the basics.

Totally enjoying going through the first module(s) with Lisa McCormick. Unlearning a few bad habits along the way, and learning some new good ones. My advice to anyone starting to play an instrument: never stop playing! I tell people it's both fun and frustrating. I'll probably alternate between the basic modules and some songs I've been working on. And with this Covid crisis, what better time to be playing guitar, no matter your age!

(And since I still love the bass, I picked up a mid-price Hofner so I can still have fun with that.)

Hope you are all healthy and well.

Looking forward to this great adventure!

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/06/2020 10:12 pm
Originally Posted by: protoplanetary01

Hi, guys.

My name is Steve. I may be Guitar Tricks oldest student! Currently 69 years old. Taught myself bass guitar and played in a band when I was 15-21 or so. Then I stopped playing for about 45 years. (Bad move!)

Steve, let me tell you in no uncertain terms you are far from the oldest student on here! I am three years your senior and there are many students on here older than I am. Here is athread dedicated to us geezers!

Coincidentally, I also played bass in high school. the other 3 guys in my band were fairly good musicians but I was horrible. I did it only to get out of the house, drink beer and meet girls.

Good luck to you and best wishes back to you for your good health and well being. Keep us posted on your progress.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/06/2020 11:21 pm

Best of luck Steve

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Tobr
Tobr
06/07/2020 9:05 am

Hi Steve

That's great - keep at it. I'm finding Lisa McCormick's lessons for beginners awesome - well worth it!

Toby

__

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” Albert Schweitzer

# 4
protoplanetary01
protoplanetary01
06/07/2020 4:20 pm

Thanks, guys!

I'm going through the posts on the Old Folks thread. Thanks for the link and all of your support.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.