Just Starting Out

kenwashington1906
kenwashington1906
06/04/2020 12:13 am

How many days should you practice the spider money technique before to the next lesson.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/04/2020 12:40 am

When I was starting out and lessons would introduce exercises, riffs, patterns, etc. [u]my own[/u] rule of thumb for moving on to the next lesson was when I could play the current one at speed three times in a row without error and with clear sounding notes.

None the less, some things, particularly songs and exercises, need to be/should be reviewed frequently even after 'moving on.' Exercises especially can be incorporated into daily practice/warmup sessions with ever increasing speed and/or picking, e.g., quarter notes to eighth notes to sixteenths. Technique ('chops') can always be improved. IMO.

Good luck, have fun

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/04/2020 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: kenwashington1906

How many days should you practice the spider money technique before to the next lesson.

Spider legs is a stretching exercise. Just like a runner does stretches before going for a run, it is good to stretch your fingers before you play.

Over time the spider legs exercise will improve your finger dexterity and strength. At first it feels impossible to make your ring finger stretch out to the end of the 3rd fret, especially on the low strings. If you do the exercise regularly, you will probably find that it starts to get a little bit easier and it feels more natural.

Also, you will get better at consistently picking the correct string at the right time with your right hand. Your hands will start to work together more naturally.

Our esteemed teacher, Lisa McC, responds to questions about this exercise quite often. Lisa says that even after many years of playing she warms up with this exercise every time she plays.

So, the answer to your question is you don't need to master spider legs before you go forward. Do it every time you practice. Do it slowly and focus on getting those fingers to stretch as far as you can. It is not about trying to sound musical.

Good luck and welcome to the journey![br][br]

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.