Trying for the first time

jason.smith73
jason.smith73
05/14/2020 11:43 pm

Hey everyone!

Just taking a break from the videos and figured I'd introduce myself. Never played anything in my life and challenged myelf to learn something new during this pandemic.

Find myself struggling even with the basic stuff but it keeps my mind engaged and learning a new skill. Hopefully it will get better over time.

My goal is to play happy birthday for my wife and daughter by the end of June and would like to play at at some local events and youth church group on Saturday nights.

# 1
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
05/15/2020 12:11 am
Originally Posted by: jason.smith73

Hey everyone!

Just taking a break from the videos and figured I'd introduce myself. Never played anything in my life and challenged myelf to learn something new during this pandemic.

Find myself struggling even with the basic stuff but it keeps my mind engaged and learning a new skill. Hopefully it will get better over time.

My goal is to play happy birthday for my wife and daughter by the end of June and would like to play at at some local events and youth church group on Saturday nights.

Hi Jason,

Welcome. I was where you`re at now about 4 months ago. Some things I`ve found that were helpful along the way:

1) Start in GF 1 if you haven`t already. Lisa`s lessons are great.

2) Find a nice quiet place free of distractions where you can practice. A little bit every day is better than 1 long session a week.

3) While it`s good to set goals, don`t put undue pressure on yourself to reach a certain point by a certain date. Everyone learns differently and some lessons you`ll whiz through while others may take days or even weeks to master. Just keep at it.

4) Enjoy the journey and know that every hour you practice will put you an hour closer to becoming a better guitar player.

Good luck !

# 2
Voncraider
Voncraider
05/15/2020 12:51 am

I can really relate to the having trouble even with the basic things. Slash makes it look so easy lol. I think its cool how you have a goal that is achievable and I'm sure you will make your wife and daughter very proud.

I hope you check back and let us know if you ended up achieving your goals.

All the best, Jason!

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/15/2020 1:01 am

Good luck Jason

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2020 3:57 pm

Hi Jason!

SO glad you are learning guitar, and I love your goals.

You WILL get there!

Have fun - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.