57 year old 1st time player

Guitar Tricks Forum > Introduction Forum > 57 year old 1st time player

kendrickwallace

Full Access

I've been inspired to learn after enjoying the music of an aquaintance who is a master of jazz swing guitar. My guitar is an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME, which I love. I'm progressing through Fundamentals 1 (I'm nearing the end of the 3rd section). So far I feel like I'm making steady progress, sometimes repeating lessons until I can play it a few times without mistakes. I practices about an hour a day. The best thing is that my fingers no longer hurt, which makes all the difference!

I do have a question--I find that I enjoy playing without a pick. Is there any downside to learning to play just with my fingers and no pick?

Ken (South Pasadena, CA)

I've been inspired to learn after enjoying the music of an aquaintance who is a master of jazz swing guitar. My guitar is an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME, which I love. I'm progressing through Fundamentals 1 (I'm nearing the end of the 3rd section). So far I feel like I'm making steady progress, sometimes repeating lessons until I can play it a few times without mistakes. I practices about an hour a day. The best thing is that my fingers no longer hurt, which makes all the difference!

I do have a question--I find that I enjoy playing without a pick. Is there any downside to learning to play just with my fingers and no pick?

Ken (South Pasadena, CA)

Guitar Tricks Admin

Administrator

hi kendrickwallace,

I'm so happy you're having so much fun with learning guitar. It seems like you're definitely on the right path to meeting your goals.

As for your question, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing without a pick. I play without a pick the majority of the time, especially when I'm fiddling with an acoustic guitar.

Though, if you plan to do a lot of complicated picking, or fast picking, using a pick is pretty important. It all depends on the style you want to go for.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

hi kendrickwallace,

I'm so happy you're having so much fun with learning guitar. It seems like you're definitely on the right path to meeting your goals.

As for your question, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing without a pick. I play without a pick the majority of the time, especially when I'm fiddling with an acoustic guitar.

Though, if you plan to do a lot of complicated picking, or fast picking, using a pick is pretty important. It all depends on the style you want to go for.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.