57 Year Old 1st Time Player

kendrickwallace
kendrickwallace
12/06/2018 3:09 am

I've been inspired to learn after enjoying the music of an aquaintance who is a master of jazz swing guitar. My guitar is an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME, which I love. I'm progressing through Fundamentals 1 (I'm nearing the end of the 3rd section). So far I feel like I'm making steady progress, sometimes repeating lessons until I can play it a few times without mistakes. I practices about an hour a day. The best thing is that my fingers no longer hurt, which makes all the difference!

I do have a question--I find that I enjoy playing without a pick. Is there any downside to learning to play just with my fingers and no pick?

Ken (South Pasadena, CA)

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/07/2018 6:13 pm

hi kendrickwallace,

I'm so happy you're having so much fun with learning guitar. It seems like you're definitely on the right path to meeting your goals.

As for your question, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing without a pick. I play without a pick the majority of the time, especially when I'm fiddling with an acoustic guitar.

Though, if you plan to do a lot of complicated picking, or fast picking, using a pick is pretty important. It all depends on the style you want to go for.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.