Hello!

jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
09/17/2018 11:11 pm

Hello everyone! I joined the site about 3 months ago and am having a lot of fun learning how to play the guitar. I really wish I had known about this site 7 years ago when I tried to learn back then but I quit after a few weeks because I had no way to effectively learn how to play.

Thought I'd share a small story about how I decided to try again. My son asked for a guitar for his birthday (he's 8 now) and I went ahead and got him a cheap acoustic. We messed around with it for a few days and I tried to read some tabs but it was really difficult. I ended up googling something like "online guitar lessons" and stumbled upon this wonderful site. Not long after I went down a bought a couple electric guitars for us. Unfortunately my boy hasn't been practicing that much but I'm not going to pressure him too much.

Averaging about 20 hours a week I am astonished by how much progress I have made. Thanks for creating this place, I really appreciate it, and thanks to Lisa and Anders for being awesome teachers.

-Jay.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/17/2018 11:46 pm

Hi Jay,

Wow, 20 hours a week is quite a bit! I definitely commend your efforts. Just remember to take some time off to rest your fingers, and also so you don't get burnt out from over practicing. But as long as you're enjoying it, then that's what matters.

I'm happy you've joined the Guitartricks community. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to leave a message here on the forums!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2018 4:20 pm

Hi Jay,

Welcome!!!! I'm so happy to be one of your teachers!

Play on, my friend...

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
01/25/2019 1:21 am

Hello everyone. About to hit seven months with GT! Quick question: should I start the blues lessons? My interest is in rock and metal playing and am around 1/3 through rock level 2 and have learned a number of songs through the tutorials. Since I learned that rock draws its roots back to the blues I figured it would help if I did those lessons. Also, I don't own an accoustic guitar, can I do them on an electric or should I buy an accoustic? [br]

Also want to give a nod to Mike Olekshy, I really like your lessons my friend thank you.

-Jay.

# 4
aerosol666
aerosol666
01/28/2019 5:30 pm

Jay,

NumberOfGuitarsYouShouldOwn = NumberYouCurrentlyOwn +1

Repeat this calculation every 3 months for maximum joy.

"Should I have an acoustic?" usually leads to "Should I also have a 12-string acoustic?" - the answer is always "yes".

Joe

Originally Posted by: jarrettclopton

Also, I don't own an accoustic guitar, can I do them on an electric or should I buy an accoustic?

Also want to give a nod to Mike Olekshy, I really like your lessons my friend thank you.

-Jay.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.