Picking up guitar again

tweetie-bird
tweetie-bird
08/04/2018 12:17 pm

Hi, my name is Drea. I recently have had cochlear implant surgery to restore my hearing after being deaf for twenty years. I loved playing in high school, right before I lost my hearing. I decided to start playing again as soon as I had surgery completed and was completely acclimated to my auditory surroundings, All total, a two year process but worth it. Now I can play and follow along with the guitar tricks videos. I tremendously enjoy picking up where I left off. So glad Guitar Tricks, exists!

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2018 2:32 pm

Oh Drea, that’s amazing and awesome. Are some of the things you used to know how to play coming back to you? And are you moving into some new areas as well? Welcome back to music!!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/06/2018 1:32 am
Originally Posted by: tweetie-bird

Hi, my name is Drea. I recently have had cochlear implant surgery to restore my hearing after being deaf for twenty years. I loved playing in high school, right before I lost my hearing. I decided to start playing again as soon as I had surgery completed and was completely acclimated to my auditory surroundings, All total, a two year process but worth it. Now I can play and follow along with the guitar tricks videos. I tremendously enjoy picking up where I left off. So glad Guitar Tricks, exists!

That's pretty awesome. Good luck to you and glad that technology has allowed you to do something that you loved.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
08/06/2018 9:54 pm

So pleased for you that tech advances have facilitated this for you Drea, a pleasure most of us take all too readily for granted rather than a privilege. Thanks for reminding us of the joy.

Hope to hear more of your renewed auditory experience.

# 4
tweetie-bird
tweetie-bird
08/10/2018 12:51 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Oh Drea, that’s amazing and awesome. Are some of the things you used to know how to play coming back to you? And are you moving into some new areas as well? Welcome back to music!!

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply.To answer your question, the basics have come back but I have definitely moved into new areas. Before I completely lost my hearing I had tried to play with acoustic guitars and I just couldn’t distinguish the tonal difference between different woods. So I just stuck with my electric. Now I get it completely. I love my electric guitars but I have fallen in love with the sweetness and depth that only an acoustic offers. I can distinguish between the difference that a Sitka spruce top offers vs a mahogany top offers. That, I love. Since I travel overnight quite a bit, I was looking for a small acoustic with a big sound and have found it with my Taylor GS Mini. I love it, and love that I can appreciate what it offers.

My grandmother was a classical trained on the piano.My mother played a banjo, and my dad always strummed his mandolin when he had a chance. Although folk music is not one of my genres I play, I have a fond memories of the guitar folk music festivals, my mother took me to in the summers of my childhood. My family instilled a profound love of music. Losing my ability hear music was the most traumatic part of the experience. That being said, I love having it back and value that above else. In fact before my surgery, I researched which one of the cochlear implant companies offered a sound processor that performed the best with music. The one I chose had the best success rate. I was sold after I read about a 70yr old lady who was implanted and now plays the piano for her church.

Sorry for the long answer, but this is probably the most condensed way I can answer. I have to say, Lisa I loved your lessons, which I went through quickly to brush up. So a thank you for being apart of that journey.

All The Best,

Drea

P.S. I absolutely love the guitar you play. Is that a Taylor 512ce?

# 5
tweetie-bird
tweetie-bird
08/10/2018 12:53 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: tweetie-bird

That's pretty awesome. Good luck to you and glad that technology has allowed you to do something that you loved.

Thank you, kindly. Much appreciated.

# 6
tweetie-bird
tweetie-bird
08/10/2018 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

So pleased for you that tech advances have facilitated this for you Drea, a pleasure most of us take all too readily for granted rather than a privilege. Thanks for reminding us of the joy.

Hope to hear more of your renewed auditory experience.

Thank you so much! I agree with you, Before I lost my hearing, I definitely took that ability for granted. Now it’s just opened a new world for me again which I had thought was gone.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.