Hi there, where should I begin?

joonasniemi112
joonasniemi112
06/06/2018 12:08 pm

Greetings from Finland. I am 19 year old Finn who is just starting his studies in university. I have been playing guitar for now give or take three to four years, but have got serious about it approximately a year ago. I had a teacher during those first years. Afterwards I have been trying to study classical guitar playing and reading sheet music with book by Frederick Noad "Solo Guitar Playing". For now I know the basic open chords, barre chords (major, minor and sevenths). I can read tab and sheet music, but I still find myself struggling with reading sheet music in higher positions. I know the major scales and can name the notes all over fretboard, but I lack the knowledge to relate scales to chords and struggle to improvise. It would be nice to know the fretboard and theory behind it more throughly. Arpeggios and some fingerpicking patterns I can play quite fluently. Now I can play for an example songs like Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, Malaguena, Spanish Romance and Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles. Im interested in becoming a classical guitarist or rather a solo guitarist in general. My goal is to have fun myself with the guitar, but it would also be awesome to learn to arrange songs by myself. Classical, fingerstyle, celtic and metal are styles that I really enjoy. On the other hand I think any of the styles of guitar playing, including jazz and blues, would have a lot to give to my playing. For now I have been practising guitar two hours a day. Any suggestions where to begin here?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/06/2018 8:52 pm

Hi joonasniemi112,

I'm so glad you decided to continue to learn guitar with Guitartricks.com. Sounds like you already have some experience, which is great.

If your goal is to learn more about classical style guitar, you might want to check out these lessons: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=classical

Hopefully this helps you out!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.