Starting out at 37

lamprog
lamprog
05/04/2018 12:44 pm

Aloha!

What got me into the idea of trying to pick up the guitar again (after two fruitless efforts at earlier stages in my life) is a rather somber period I am experiencing at the moment. I moved away from my home town last year for business reasons and have quickly become aware that I terribly miss my home. Probably an odd experience to have in your mid thirties, but here I go... I am going to return back home early next year and until then, I felt the urge, to pick up a new hobby to keep myself occupied in the meantime. (And hopefully after that, too.)

So, I got together with two of my colleagues and we made plans to get together once a week so that I could teach them the language, as they're from overseas (I moved within the country) and they give me guitar lessons.

Together with their help and GuitarTricks.com, I want to achieve enough proficiency to be able to jam with friends and just maybe to become good enough to play some jazz standards and learn improvise a bit myself.

Somebody in a Youtube video providing guitar beginners with useful hints, thinks it worthwhile to pick a guitar hero you look up to and want to imitate. I don't know if Pat Metheny is the right role model for this (learning to cook you should probably set out to achieve your mom's skill level first, before aiming to rival Paul Bocuse) but since I so thoroughly enjoy his music and can't help but stand in awe at what he accomplishes on his instrument, I think he makes as good a model as any to guide my budding guitar aspirations. ;-)

Now, my guitar arrived five days ago, the novelty has not yet worn off and the calluses on my fingers are just starting grow, making my daily guitar practise less painful and more fun. I learned my first two chords (A major and D major) and am mostly struggling with rhythm exercises and getting my right hand to execute upstrokes that don't sound as if it wanted to snap all six strings. ;-)

My guitar is a Fender Standard Telecaster in Brown Sunburst that is just absolutely gorgeous in my opinion and plays and sounds great to my untrained hands and ears. :-)

Edit: For some reason, I seem to be unable to insert a picture.

Gear: Standard Telecaster Brown Sunburst

Personal Guitar Hero: Pat Metheny

Next Guitar on my To-Buy-List: Ibanez Artcore Expressionist Vintage

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/04/2018 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: eugen.pfleiderer

Aloha!

What got me into the idea of trying to pick up the guitar again (after two fruitless efforts at earlier stages in my life) is a rather somber period I am experiencing at the moment. I moved away from my home town last year for business reasons and have quickly become aware that I terribly miss my home. Probably an odd experience to have in your mid thirties, but here I go... I am going to return back home early next year and until then, I felt the urge, to pick up a new hobby to keep myself occupied in the meantime. (And hopefully after that, too.)

So, I got together with two of my colleagues and we made plans to get together once a week so that I could teach them the language, as they're from overseas (I moved within the country) and they give me guitar lessons.

Together with their help and GuitarTricks.com, I want to achieve enough proficiency to be able to jam with friends and just maybe to become good enough to play some jazz standards and learn improvise a bit myself.

Somebody in a Youtube video providing guitar beginners with useful hints, thinks it worthwhile to pick a guitar hero you look up to and want to imitate. I don't know if Pat Metheny is the right role model for this (learning to cook you should probably set out to achieve your mom's skill level first, before aiming to rival Paul Bocuse) but since I so thoroughly enjoy his music and can't help but stand in awe at what he accomplishes on his instrument, I think he makes as good a model as any to guide my budding guitar aspirations. ;-)

Now, my guitar arrived five days ago, the novelty has not yet worn off and the calluses on my fingers are just starting grow, making my daily guitar practise less painful and more fun. I learned my first two chords (A major and D major) and am mostly struggling with rhythm exercises and getting my right hand to execute upstrokes that don't sound as if it wanted to snap all six strings. ;-)

My guitar is a Fender Standard Telecaster in Brown Sunburst that is just absolutely gorgeous in my opinion and plays and sounds great to my untrained hands and ears. :-)

Edit: For some reason, I seem to be unable to insert a picture.

Welcome. I think you're at the right place. Lots you can learn hear and the added bonus is that if you're looking to go the jazz route, there's some good stuff here. Chris Schlegel has some good jazz lesson and with some focus on Joe Pass (well worth learning). Also, he spends time on these boards so if you need a tip, good chance Chris will give you that extra mile too. Actually, all the instructors do great here.

I might add, nice guitar choice. I might be a little jealous of that Tele. I mean, I have some nice guitars but I am infected with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) and a Tele is in my future someday. That said, despite my jealousy, great choice to start with. A good guitar helps you stay with it. You aren't fighting both the guitar and the trials of learning new stuff.

Good luck!

# 2
lamprog
lamprog
05/04/2018 6:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

that's good to hear! Being at the very beginning of the beginner's course on here, I still have a long way to go until I will be able to start with the Jazz lessons. I am looking forward to it, however!

Simultaneously to working through the practical exercises, I keep myself busy with music theory which I don't at all find as boring as many people would like to make it. I had a huge sense of accomplishment when I noticed that I was able to derive all the major heptatonic scales on my own. :-D It's pretty awesome when certain things fall into place and start to make sense all of a sudden. :-)

Also, I just finished a training (i.e. actively playing) session of nearly an hour and the finger tips of my left hand almost don't hurt at all!

Having only just received my first guitar I can already sympathize with GAS. In fact I toyed with the idea of getting a hollow body guitar first but figured that living in an apartment with thin walls I'd better start out on an instrument that doesn't produce as much noise on its own. ;-) I have not regretted my decision for a single second so far.

The guitar arrived in an excellent condition without the need of having the action adjusted or any signs of sloppy assembly. This is something that I dreaded a bit since I'd previously owned an Ibanez GIO, one of those all-in-one sets that came with a gigbag and an amp. I remember that the neck of the guitar was what appeared to be very slightly twisted which had the effect of messing up the action and constantly buzzing strings. I never warmed up to it and eventually sold it on eBay. The Tele I have now leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. Also, it stays in tune amazingly well.

I named her Abuelita, by the way, given that she hails from Mexico and is kind of like the grandmother of most of today's electric guitars. :-)

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/05/2018 12:54 pm

Great stories, guys! Thanks for that. Happy playing!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
lamprog
lamprog
05/05/2018 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Great stories, guys! Thanks for that. Happy playing!

Thank you! :-)

It's great that the instructors are present on the forums. I really like your lessons, thanks! :-)

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2018 4:36 pm

Of course! We want to make sure you are very well taken care of!

(And having fun!)

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
lamprog
lamprog
05/06/2018 6:06 pm

I am definitely having fun and I do feel well taken care of, thanks! :-)

Just finished "Guitar Fundamentals 1 - 2: Let's Learn to Play" and practiced the simple Am and E chords. I feel like I'm making good progress.

# 7
guido.gallucci
Full Access
guido.gallucci
Full Access
05/07/2018 11:37 am

I am about 2 weeks into the course. I am at the part of the course where I am practicing chord changes. Making good progress I think. Want to be able to jam with my friends and maybe play in a band someday. I am in my mid 40's and have always dreamed of playing guitar.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.