New kid in town

psour33
psour33
04/29/2018 2:12 pm

Hi there !

I'm Patrick a french kid 62 years old :)

I'm living in Nantes (France).

Born in 1956 I was dreaming as a kid to be a guitar heroe .

A few decade later I'm still not a guitar heroe but a retired french sailor.

I've now plenty of to learn to play guitar and I subscribe to this web site one week ago.

I'm learning Lisa's basic course and I run from time to time to the fridge to put my left finguers in the ice :) (because they are in fire).

I'm a Pink Floyd fan and my goal is (one day) to be able to "play" some David Gilmour's solos (yes I know it's just a dream).

I must thank you for the way you welcome newbies like me, and I hope to go further with your help, because I struggle a lot, my old fingers refuse to act as I want to.

Again thank's a lot.

Best regards from France.

Patrick

(sorry for my poor english vocabulary).

# 1
Meridirh
Full Access
Meridirh
Full Access
04/30/2018 7:27 am

Hi Patrick! :)

welcome to the club!

I've been twice to Nantes, beautiful place :)

I wish you all the best for your guitar journey! You can do it and Lisa's course is a great place to get started :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them in the forum. We'll try to answer your questions :D

Have fun!

Lukas

Limits are selfmade. Break beyond them!

www.meridirhproductions.com | Too old to learn multiple instruments? Let's put it to a test...

Guitar: Started January 2016

Styles/Genres I am currently studying:

- Classical Guitar

- Latin Style (Flamenco, Soleares)

- Folk Style (Pop, Celtic, Irish, Gypsi)

- (Fingerstyle) Blues

- (Fingerstyle) Jazz

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/30/2018 1:59 pm

Hi Patrick!

Welcome! Take good care of those fingertips - they will toughen up over time, I promise!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
04/30/2018 4:10 pm

You will be able to play Gilmore's solos. Just stay the course. I did and can play those types of solos with two years experience. Good luck to you.

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
05/01/2018 12:53 am

Look after those hands Patrick. Not referring to those initially sore fingertips which is very temporary and will soon pass as you develop calluses, but chronic hand pain which may develop which simply wasn't an issue of any concern for me either forty plus years ago that it presents now. As I want to and do play most every day, I've found before and after stretching exercises and adequate warmup help enormously. And -am I permitted to suggest (?), being older the body is less resilient to dietary intake of foods medically acknowledged as adversly impact arthritis in particular?

[br]Look after the body, follow GTs 'bouncing ball', reinforce through rote repetition practise what is taught, and so far I've found the rest will fall naturally into place.

Originally Posted by: Papa RichYou will be able to play Gilmore's solos. Just stay the course. I did and can play those types of solos with two years experience.

That's most anecdotally encouraging Papa Rich.

I'd set personal short, medium and extended term conservative goals I'd deduced achievably realistic, but wasn't sure they were. So far I'm exceeding them, so your anecdote suggests my hoped for 12 month and 2 year targets will be too.

Would you mind offering some idea of your age? Not suggesting older age a mental impediment of significance or a psychological one unless it is fostered as one, in fact to the contrary. Rather it can present a memory motor skill and possible physical encumberance due potential older age related degenerative issues such as arthritis, diabetes or other life time accumulated injuries.

Regardless of minor physical encumbrances, having a then vs now hands on basis of comparison I find being of older age actually an asset to the process of learning guitar for a number of reasons I've identified which largely offset said minor physical encumbrances - but which I won't elaborate upon further here for the sake of brevity of an already unintentionally lengthy post.

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/01/2018 2:53 pm

Welcome Patrick!

Your English is pretty good. I took a few years of French and all I can do is count to 14 and that 'zut alors!' was sorta like a polite swearing.

Keep at it and don't go to heard on the fingers. I know the songs all said that they played until fingers bled but not really. You get the first blister and it stops you in its tracks. So be careful and go with the pace your fingers let you. It's all good.

Now, to the David Gilmour part. Great goal to set! It won't be easy. I mean, David is not a super complex player. What he does have is an amazing feel. Every note matters and every note is just perfect. Which means that when you want to learn to play like Gilmour, that's your goal, to learn how and why he does what he does.

It's a great goal and his playing will teach you so much.

# 6
psour33
psour33
05/03/2018 4:07 pm

Thank you all for your welcome words :)

I'm sure at least I have found the good place to learn quietly playing guitar.

I'm afraid that bleeding fingers song is not just an image, ask my pinky XD

A friend of mine told me to buy an electro acoustic guitar, because my very old baseball bate necked Lespaul was no so good for learning, but my new steel guitar saw my fingers for real. (very thick strings). (It's not my friend anymore) ;)

Anyway thank's again and be happy :)

Patrick

# 7
flynnpegrum377990
flynnpegrum377990
11/19/2018 8:29 am

Thanks for the topic and for the answers. Very interesting.

Essaysrescue

# 8
blairjohnfleming
blairjohnfleming
11/24/2018 10:52 pm

Bonjour Patrick

Je suis un petit comme vous parce que je reve de joue le guitar tout a vie (je suis 57)

J’ai commence les lessons guitar et de francais tres recemment.

Bonne chance a nous et pardon pour tout mes erreurs

blair (Un Canadien en New York)

# 9
ayushi.gupta
ayushi.gupta
04/01/2019 6:43 am

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Electronics and Communication Engineering in Sharda University.

# 10
nflthree
nflthree
07/02/2022 12:53 pm

Im 62 and I was born in 59!?

Like you I am starting a litte late but I love it, just wish I had put this much time and energy into it 20 years ago

# 11
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/02/2022 1:39 pm

Welcome!

# 12
_David_
_David_
07/02/2022 1:45 pm

Remember...if your fingers hurt, just shake them a little ;)

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.