Hi from Packerjohn

packerjohn
packerjohn
01/24/2012 9:02 pm
I always wanted to play the guitar and finally got the chance 5 years ago when my wife bought some tickets on a "El Cheapo" guitar at a silent auction at a Christmas Craft sale. Well, she won and gave it to me. I am a lefty. Many years ago I made the mistake of playing the violin (fiddle) right handed for 5 years and got very little satisfaction out of it. When I won this guitar I went home and within 24 hours changed all the strings around to suit me. Since then I bought an Epiphone accoustic and have enjoyed the times we spend together. I am 65 years old now. My main insterest is playing chords and singing country music from the 50s and 60s. For those of my age, I'm talking about Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, etc. At my age I do not strive for fancy licks, high noise electrics, etc. Just give me an accoustic, a nice ole' country song and I'm a happy camper. Greatest dream would be to own a nice Gibson from the 60s but hey, that's big bucks.
# 1
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
01/25/2012 2:33 pm
HI Packerjohn
Welcome to guitar tricks..
Not any song to fit that catagory, but I could go for a tune from Hank senior or Marty Robbins..
Good luck with your pickin'
Gordon
# 2
Dave Bredesen
Dave Bredesen
02/01/2012 12:13 am
Love the country and blue grass.
Been to the Teluride bluegrass festival a bunch of times.
That is what kept bringing me back.
Good luck on the lessons
# 3
DUDEKING1999
DUDEKING1999
02/07/2012 3:37 am
When I was a kid with my toy guitar i would pretend to be Johnny Cash or Buck Owens. Everyone would tell me I was holding it backwards. I got more tired of people telling me that. I tried reversing the strings but could never figure out how to tune it so I gave up. now 40 yr.s later I am starting to live!
If you want a Less Paul they make really nice fake ones for only a few hundred dollars. Check out Rondomusic.com they have a large selection of leftys! that's where I got mine.
Go ahead and treat yourself, you only live once!
# 4
Mike masten
Mike masten
02/07/2012 1:44 pm
65? Nice. I'm 60.

Like you, I play an acoustic and like old songs by Dylan, Buffet, CSN&Y. I try to pick up a few newer tunes as well. Every time I hear a song on the radio or TV that I like I look it up on Ultimate app and check out the chords. I also have an app that lets you look at simplifying the chords by using the capo.

Fun.

MM
# 5
Mike masten
Mike masten
02/07/2012 1:45 pm
65? Nice. I'm 60.

Like you, I play an acoustic and like old songs by Dylan, Buffet, CSN&Y. I try to pick up a few newer tunes as well. Every time I hear a song on the radio or TV that I like I look it up on Ultimate app and check out the chords. I also have an app that lets you look at simplifying the chords by using the capo.

Fun.

MM
# 6
Mike masten
Mike masten
02/07/2012 2:12 pm
65? Nice. I'm 60.

Fun.

MM
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.