Newbie signing in

cisconh
cisconh
11/16/2011 4:04 am
Hi,

My name is Chris and I live in New Hampshire. I love music and have a large collection of mostly classic rock from the 60's and 70's as well as many more recent releases.

Been to many concerts over the years. To list a few: Yes, Pink Floyd, U2, Alice Cooper, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Foreigner, Uriah Heep, Allman Bros., Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Van Halen, Robert Plant, Fleetwood Mac, BB King, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Eddie Money, Doobie Brothers, Elton John, The Boss, Ringo Starr, Aerosmith, Greatful Dead, Guns n Roses, and many more!

I saw Dick Dale two weeks ago at the Middle East restaurant in Cambridge, MA. Awesome show.

I have always wanted to learn to play and at 52, I hope it is not too late to learn. I just purchased a Takamine S33 Jasmine Acoustic Guitar which should arrive Saturday. Can't wait to get started. I know basically zip about music theory so I have a long road ahead.
# 1
compart1
compart1
11/16/2011 4:45 pm
Hi Chris, Welcome to Guitar Tricks...
You are at the right place.. No problem with the age.. Many here in your age group..
You might get signed up for full membership and start fundamentals 1 while your waiting for your new guitar to arrive..
Good luck with your new endeavor..
Gordon
# 2
cisconh
cisconh
11/16/2011 7:41 pm
I plan to get a full membership within the next couple of weeks and then start from the beginning.
# 3
adir olf
adir olf
11/17/2011 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: cisconhHi,

Been to many concerts over the years. ...

I have always wanted to learn to play and at 52, I hope it is not too late to learn. I just purchased a Takamine S33 Jasmine Acoustic Guitar which should arrive Saturday. Can't wait to get started. I know basically zip about music theory so I have a long road ahead.

Hi cisconh

as mentioned in a previous reply, there does seem to be several of us "older" ones here and several of us had all said the same thing.... "are we too old" "is it too late".
Its funny!

I have learned that the GT theme song is called "it's never too late" (I just learned that song in Lisa's fingerpicking series). how funny is that!
I think it must be that we are all mature enough now to actually focus on and stick with something that excites us. that's my philosophy.

I started in '09 and between family, jobs, kids, animals it has taken me awhile to get very far, but by george, I have.

re: concerts... I have discovered some awesome young folk with what I call sophisticated rebellion music (I may be older but still a rebel)... they are my favorite and are called The Airborne Toxic Event. I find that alot of "old" people like me seem to really like them. for some reason these youngin's music really connect more so than any other band I've listened to in my last 40 years.
another young great group that plays blues - rock is Another Kind of Magick. they are a group of really young kids that my kids go to school with and quite frankly I was floored by them the other night when i saw them locally. I just can't phathom the skill they contain. They can be found on you tube.

and one last suggestion.... Anders Osborne.. he is awesome! similar to some of the bands you mentioned.

Okay, enough babbling... I love to share my favorite bands with others so anyone reading this please look up those bands and share your thoughts!

P.s.s. I just looked up Dick Dale. is this the right guy: http://www.dickdale.com/
I am always looking for new music...

adir
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 4
Tankgirl_84
Tankgirl_84
11/17/2011 3:34 am
Hi Chris, My name is Carol and I just took up the acoustic guitar at the age of 61. I have an awesome Eleanor Rigby under my belt that I have just taught myself to play and am working on some other Beatles hits.

Guitar tricks has really helped me to play more fluidly. I just wish they had some easier alternative tunes to learn. Im into the band White Stripes, Radiohead, Incubus and Love Adele also.

But I am learning alot. I just wish I didn't wait so long to do this.
Keep practicing!! have fun thats the most important thing.

By the way I have a full membership and its well worth it. I love that I can do the lessons I want when I want and play them over and over until I get the hang of it. I have 4 private lessons that went sloooooow and were too confusing I couldn't wait to get back to Guitar tricks!!! Seriously!
# 5
summer sand
summer sand
11/18/2011 3:42 am
Chris,

Did you happen to see the Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn show in Worcester maybe 1989? Around Guitar Shop time.
# 6
cisconh
cisconh
11/19/2011 2:36 pm
Adir Olf - I am always up for checking out different bands and musical styles. Thanks for the tips.

Tankgirl 84 - I've been reading many of the posts from us older folks and always thought that musicians were really gifted and indeed many are but they all had to pick up that instrument for the first time. So maybe it is not natural god given talent as much as it is desire and willingness to practice practice practice. So my journey begins today. My guitar arrived and I spent a long time getting it in tune. I am going to get the full membership soon (maybe even today after I go over my finances).

Summersand - I was at the Stevie Ray\Jeff Beck show at the Worcester Centrum. For a couple of years my brother Jerry worked the shows as a security guard. So he got to stand right in the front row.

I also saw the very first Rock concert at the Centrum. I believe the Centrum was opened by none other than Frank Sinatra but the first Rock show was Fleetwood Mac and I was there.
# 7
adir olf
adir olf
11/19/2011 3:49 pm
Originally Posted by: cisconh.... My guitar arrived and I spent a long time getting it in tune. I am going to get the full membership soon (maybe even today after I go over my finances).

Bobby Howe has a great set of "lessons" on stringing a guitar. starting with tools, types of strings and of course the how to. just go to instructors, choose him, and you should find it. probably have to have a full memebership though to access it.

ck (adir)
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 8
cisconh
cisconh
11/19/2011 4:37 pm
Yes Adir Olf that is indeed the Dick Dale that I saw. He is 70+ years old and still kicks butt. He is left handed and plays a Strat upside down without changing the strings.
# 9
cisconh
cisconh
11/19/2011 4:44 pm
We share the same Birthday!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.