What makes a fast neck?

Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
06/04/2004 11:41 pm
I was just reading the "Ican't find a guitar" thread and was wondering what actually makes a guitar neck play fast? Is it some coating thats used? or maybe the wood?

The Ibanez Jem 7v has an excellent neck, feels smooth, plays fast and seems to give more definition on each fret when your fretting so that the frets seem more seperate (if you get what I mean)

I was just wondering what characteristics give the neck that quality.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/07/2004 5:15 pm
You'll hear a lot of opinions about the kind of shape or profile that makes a neck fast. It's [u]all[/u] just personal opinion. I find the skinny necks give me cramps, but most speed freaks use 'em. I do my fast stuff on a big, thick, fence post size neck. Fret size and scale length are a bit more important. The longer scale lengths provide a little more room between the frets in the upper register, above the 12th fret. And tall, narrow frets leave more space between adjacent frets while enhancing the scalloped effect.

The only thing everybody seems to agree on is the finish. A 'satin' finish is much less likely to 'grab' the web between your thumb and index finger than a glossy, smooth finish. Don't get sucked into paying extra for this feature. Just lightly rub the back of the neck with some fine steel wool, or a fine grade of abrasive cloth like Scotchbrite. Don't rub hard - just scratch up the surface a bit to take the shine off.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Digit
Digit
06/07/2004 5:29 pm
I find good old wear and tear to be the best way to get a fast neck.
I always buy used guitars cause the frets are slightly worn down and the necks are easier to play. When I try new guitars it's like playing on a piece of sandpaper.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.