Extreme Distortion

culbreth
culbreth
03/11/2022 4:26 pm

Hey guys new here just signed up for some lessons as well...I have an Ibanez and a Schecter Omen 6 and both sound like shit through the amp....So much distortion it ain't funny.....I have adjusted and readjusted and no change. Anybody got any ideas?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2022 5:44 pm
Originally Posted by: culbreth

Hey guys new here just signed up for some lessons as well...I have an Ibanez and a Schecter Omen 6 and both sound like shit through the amp....So much distortion it ain't funny.....I have adjusted and readjusted and no change. Anybody got any ideas?

What kind of amp?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/11/2022 5:58 pm

Hey culbreth, sorry to hear that you're having problems. I have a few questions for you:

To start with and to reiterate Christopher's question, what's the make and model of your amp? Are you using any pedals with it? Are you using a modeling amp that has presets? Does the sound your getting constitute genuine tonal distortion or is it that horrible electrical buzzing and crackling?

I'm no tech whiz but here are a few suggestions:

1.) Make sure that your cable end is inserted all the way into the guitar jack.

2.) Turn the "Gain" down all the way to zero.

3.) Try using a different cable, if you have one.

4.) Try plugging the amp in somewhere else, preferably in it's own receptacle, away from other electrical lines and gadgets.

If that doesn't solve the problem or you don't understand what I'm talking about then feel free to post a reply and let it be known. There are a lot of people in here with a lot of combined experience. Somebody will be able to help you.

Nicolai

# 3
culbreth
culbreth
03/11/2022 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: culbreth

What kind of amp?

Orange 20 Amp I also have a small practice 3 AMP from Donner but it naturally sounds like shit so I expect it out of that one.

# 4
culbreth
culbreth
03/11/2022 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Hey culbreth, sorry to hear that you're having problems. I have a few questions for you:

To start with and to reiterate Christopher's question, what's the make and model of your amp? Are you using any pedals with it? Are you using a modeling amp that has presets? Does the sound your getting constitute genuine tonal distortion or is it that horrible electrical buzzing and crackling?

I'm no tech whiz but here are a few suggestions:

1.) Make sure that your cable end is inserted all the way into the guitar jack.

2.) Turn the "Gain" down all the way to zero.

3.) Try using a different cable, if you have one.

4.) Try plugging the amp in somewhere else, preferably in it's own receptacle, away from other electrical lines and gadgets.

If that doesn't solve the problem or you don't understand what I'm talking about then feel free to post a reply and let it be known. There are a lot of people in here with a lot of combined experience. Somebody will be able to help you.

Nicolai

I will take your suggestions under advisement thanks. Its electrical buzzing and cracking plus distortion.

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/12/2022 1:21 am

I'm going to assume that you have the Orange 20RT which has 2 channels (just like the 35RT that I use). Make sure that the toggle switch is set to "Clean" rather than "Dirty" with the Gain dialed down. Does that make a difference in the distortion at least?

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/12/2022 3:41 pm
Originally Posted by: culbrethOrange 20 Amp[/quote]

Thanks! When functioning properly those are capable of clean tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0IXvmcUEqY

Thanks to aliasmaximus for giving you great advice!

1. Set the toggle to clean

2. Turn the gain knob down to 1 or even 0.

3. Turn the clean volume up.

[quote=culbreth]I also have a small practice 3 AMP from Donner

That one also seems capable of clean tones. Again, set it to the clean channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq434uH0W_A

If you are getting crackling buzzing through both, then getting a new instrument cable is the next thing to try.

Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.