Electric vs. Accoustic

DAVIDGARNOLD
Full Access
DAVIDGARNOLD
Full Access
01/21/2022 4:36 pm

I assume that the beginner lessons can done on either an electric or acoustic guitar, right? My electric (Fender Strat) is much easier to play and a better instrument than my acoustic (Morris A-12).

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
01/21/2022 5:18 pm

Just keep your electric tone 'clean' (no effects or distortion) and you should be ok.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
01/25/2022 3:12 am

Either works. Electrics tend to be easier because it doesn't require as much pressure on the strings to get the desired sound.

[br][br]

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/24/2022 5:41 am

Electrics are definitely easier to play. Whether or not you should start lessons on an electric depends on how you typically approach things. I'm naturally a bit of a masochist and forced myself to learn on an acoustic because I had tried both and knew how easy it was to play electric. I was afraid that if I learned on an electric I would somehow acquire lazy or incorrect technique that would make it really difficult to switch to acoustic. I'm not saying that's true. I'll never know because one can only be a true beginner once. I can say with confidence that switching to electric after learning on acoustic was for me super easy.

However, most guitar players that I know personally are in the other camp and would suggest starting on electric like they did.

Just some food for thought.

Nicolai

# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/25/2022 4:53 am

David - what do you like to listen to? If you close your eyes and imagine yourself playing, what song do you hear?

It's already been mentioned that you don't have to choose. I go between the two depending on my mood.

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/26/2022 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Rumble_Walrus

If you close your eyes and [u]imagine yourself playing[/u], what song do you hear?

For me, it depends on which type of guitar I'm playing:

Acoustic -> cacophony

Electric -> loud cacophony

;-)

Nicolai

# 6
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/27/2022 12:25 am

I totally disagree that electric guitars are easier to learn on.

For a start, an electric guitar will amplify every single unwanted noise such as when your fretting fingers scrape a string, or when your pick hits one too many strings. You also need to develop fretting hand techniques for muting strings, etc.

Acoustics are more forgiving, in general, and also take a lot less setting up before you can play it. No leads into amps and such.

You also develop better technique and finger strength on an acoustic.

Obviously, though, if your intention is to only play thrash metal or any other high gain rock, then definitely don't waste time playing acoustic guitar; get an electric with hot pickups, distortion pedals, a loud amp; and learn to avoid unwanted noise right from the beginning.

The above is just my opinion, but I'm an ex-folkie, so what would I know. I only got into electrics around 15 years ago, then discovered the strange world of effect pedals.....

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.