Bought my first amp

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
10/14/2020 2:01 am

I bought my first amp ever today. It's an Orange - Crush 20RT.

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/crush-series/crush20rt/

I had to order it through guitarcenter.com, because my local Guitar Center barely had any amps in stock (it looked like a going out of business sale).

But for a couple days I poured over reviews of practice amps, and this one always got good reviews, especially with high gain rock tones. I sure love the simplicity of it. I'll get back later for quick report on it.

I ordered it in black instead of orange. I already have a neon red superstrat, I can't be having clashing colors LOL.

So far I've been playing through a Line 6 Pocket Pod and some terrible headphones. Problem was I have a neighbor who does ham-radio and my device is picking up his interference. It wasn't the guitar either because I unplugged the cable from the Pod and could still hear conversations coming through.

I have a portable CB that I used as a tester. If I key the microphone anywhere in my house I get major buzzing and can hear my voice through the Pocket Pod, much worse than my neighbor's signal even. So I took my CB to guitar center, and cranked up their amps and keyed the CB right next to each amp. I heard nothing whatsoever from any amp including a big Orange model. The amp manufacturers must design these things not to pickup RF signals.

So I think I'll be alright with this amp as far as RF interference goes. My house is grounded too and this amp has a 3 prong cable so that's good.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/14/2020 4:53 am

New gear day. Always exciting. And first amp, well that's like first guitar isn't it?! Congrats.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/14/2020 11:10 am

This looks like a very nice amp Matt. Will be good to read your report once you have some time on it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/14/2020 9:14 pm

Congratulations! Nice amp, orange makes a great product.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4
mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
10/17/2020 3:24 am

Well here it is you all! What a handsome little amp. The black sheathing is a nice rubber-like material, it's built solid too. I'm actually glad the knobs are on the top because I like the amp on the floor, and I can reach the knobs fairly easily.

As you can see I like a nice simple setup. I do own one pedal, that Boss looper on the table. I need to get good at looping so I can start laying down my own rhythm tracks, which will help me get better as a guitarist.

The sound:

This thing can go loud man! I'm glad I didn't get the 35 watt version, that would have been way overkill. I live with my mom and brother so I can't blast it too loud anyway. Maybe some time I'll load the guitar and amp into my van and head to a park or somewhere, where I can see what this thing can do.

As far as the tone, it sounds good to me! Better than my Line 6 Pocket Pod (even through headphones). I'm just a novice guitarist so I'm not a connoisseur of tone by any means. But I just like the fact that my guitar signal isn't being digitally processed before heading out the speaker. It's definately got a real "electric" and raw sound compared to the Line 6.

The clean channel is beautiful, the built in reverb knob is all the extra effect I need (works on the dirty channel too). As far as the dirty channel you have a gain knob, and 3 knobs for treble, mid, and bass (which work on the clean channel too)...that's it! It's like the basic ingredients for carving out your tone.

I like the gain up about half way, maybe a little bit past. But you turn the gain way up and it sounds like a growling beast, it's great.

Well, that's my initial impression of the Crush 20, from a newbie guitarist who doesn't know alot about amps. There are tons of reviews already on youtube, from much more experienced gutarists.

Now I really have to kick up my game and get better fast, because this amp sounds too good to play through headphones all the time.

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/28/2020 3:55 am

nice review! You should cut and paste and share it in the Gear Review section.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.