Spend hours!! on finding (L) - Help appreciated!

kecheng
kecheng
09/21/2020 6:21 pm

Hi all,

As I am new to the Forum and not yet aware of the community (type), I will give a short intro: Based in the Netherlands, starting guitar 1,5 ago (now 30) on an old (45 years old Ibanez Concord Acoustic with steel strings). I now realize it wasn't the most playable one to start off with, lol. The nut is fraised by the strings and what not..

Since I am enjoying guitar so much (and even omre) it almost feels that I finally found what I should be doing with my time on earth. [br]

I want to buy (have bought one -> bring it back 22 09) my first electric guitar that could last a lifetime (budget is ~ EUR 900-1000). My prefs: kind of thin neck, good body weight distrubution (at least not a very heavy/thick neck), no vanished back neck, pref: dark wood on fret, pref. lighter (weight) guitars) I want to play: Stevie R Vaugh, John Mayer, Led Zepp, ZZ Top, etc.) As this question is being asked many many times, I did my research, please find below:

Watched hours and hours of Youtube video's on: starter guitars(doesnt really exist if you ask me), guitars under 1000 - and learned the differences between them (shapes of the neck (c,v,etc) body (sc, dc, jazz, superstrat, customs), pickups (hss, sss, ss, hh), switch to blend (H to S/S that sort of thing), etc. etc. etc. etc. I went to multiple shops here to try some and bought this guitar last week (in a sort of AHA appereance moment) -> https://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/godin-radiator-matte-black-elektrische-gitaar-met-gigbag .

I will bring it back tomorrow! why: the neck side is too heavy in comparison with the body. Feels like i need to hold weight while I am playing guitar, which for me feels shit since i broke my shoulder a few years ago. Also the sounds are somewhere in between what i heard from LP / Strats (kinda I dunnow).

What other guitars did I try (and did not buy):

PRS Custom 24 -> Nice, also a bit heavy and too bold neck

Squier Telecaster (EUR ~210) -> Felt cheap, fred board wasnt flatten at all

Schecter Reaper 6 satin charcoal burst -> weight really good, also the cut in the body for your right arm felt really nice / Freat Board / back-side neck kind of quick/slippy sort of and I am not a metal guy

Charvel Pro Mod 24 HSS -> felt really nice, but I heard some people talk about these in video's -> good, but still some things going on and nobody owns them for years so hard to say whether value is maintained and if the quality will maintain over years

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony elektrische gitaar / Ibanzed (some thing ) -> they have varnished necks and they feel really stiff while moving your hand over the fredboard (don't like that at all)[br]

Squiers -> few of them , also felt kinda cheap in some way (maybe I shouldn't have tried the more expensive ones first tho)

And others...

Thinking of buying a:

Cheap LP Standard

Or just a Fender Telecaster..

Do you guys have any tips for me?

Thanks a lot for reading my story,

# 1
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/22/2020 2:01 pm

As you're discovering, finding the right guitar for you (feel of neck, sound, etc) is very personal. [br][br]

I owned a prs, strat, and semi-hollow. I ended up with a telecaster. made in Japan- which I purchased used and it just felt right in my hands. [br][br]

The squire classic vibe series have a great reputation. The ones I've played felt and sound quite nice. [br][br]

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 2
kecheng
kecheng
09/26/2020 4:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Sasha-B

As you're discovering, finding the right guitar for you (feel of neck, sound, etc) is very personal. [br][br]

I owned a prs, strat, and semi-hollow. I ended up with a telecaster. made in Japan- which I purchased used and it just felt right in my hands. [br][br]

The squire classic vibe series have a great reputation. The ones I've played felt and sound quite nice. [br][br]

Hey Sasha,

Thanks for your respons, and thanks to all that read by did not respond :)

I went back to the store and tried every single guitar he had. I ended up buying a used VGS ST-Classic Pro by Schaffer with locking tuners- apparantly it was from a (famous) Dutch guitarist that bought a new guitar every year. 2 HH with split, ebony fretboard and such a great balance and neck (for me as how i hold it). I found my dream guitar!

If you ever visit the netherlands, do not forget to pass by Strings and Things. The service, the people are just really great. I am a customer for life (no i am not sponsored, nor does he now i am posting this; honestly it's one of the best places where i've been (also non-guitar shops).

this ticket can be closed.

Wish you all well on your journey. Hopefully you will hear my music in some years from now!

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/28/2020 3:33 pm
Originally Posted by: kecheng

Hey Sasha,

Thanks for your respons, and thanks to all that read by did not respond :)

I went back to the store and tried every single guitar he had. I ended up buying a used VGS ST-Classic Pro by Schaffer with locking tuners- apparantly it was from a (famous) Dutch guitarist that bought a new guitar every year. 2 HH with split, ebony fretboard and such a great balance and neck (for me as how i hold it). I found my dream guitar!

If you ever visit the netherlands, do not forget to pass by Strings and Things. The service, the people are just really great. I am a customer for life (no i am not sponsored, nor does he now i am posting this; honestly it's one of the best places where i've been (also non-guitar shops).

this ticket can be closed.

Wish you all well on your journey. Hopefully you will hear my music in some years from now!

Congratulations on your new guitar! I look forward to hearing your music, keep me posted! My guitar journey is going quite well, GT has been most helpful and, pre-COVID, an in person class with other guitarists reinforces the learning and desire to play.

2021 Iris CH

# 4
kecheng
kecheng
09/29/2020 8:10 pm

Congratulations on your new guitar! I look forward to hearing your music, keep me posted! My guitar journey is going quite well, GT has been most helpful and, pre-COVID, an in person class with other guitarists reinforces the learning and desire to play.

Will defenetly do when I figure out how cords, triads, and scales are connected, so i can actually play some nice solo's :D Playing them only on the pentatonic and some outsteps to 7-9 make it already fun to do hehe.

Nice, great job! What are you focusing on when practising? Songs, Technique, etc.? What are your goals? What songs do you play?

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/29/2020 8:39 pm

I always start out practice with "spider legs" in order to warm up and stretch the fingers. I then run through the scales and pick a random song to read and play to reinforce reading/playing music.

After that (which takes about 5-10 minutes), I either (a) work through a GT lesson or I work on a song that pushes me. I am currently working on Yes' song "Roundabout." It is challenging, but I am enjoying the journey learning it.

I'm also trying to learn Dave Matthews' song: "stream" which is all instrumental and John Prine's "Angel from MOntogomery."

Songs I have learned include: The Beatles, "Blackbird," The Indigo Girls "Closer to FIne," SImon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SIlence," and Bonnie Raitt's "Thing called Love."

I end practice with a backing track of drums and rhythm guitar and just play over it-improv style. Just because it is fun.

How about you?

2021 Iris CH

# 6
kecheng
kecheng
09/29/2020 9:18 pm

I always start out practice with "spider legs" in order to warm up and stretch the fingers. I then run through the scales and pick a random song to read and play to reinforce reading/playing music.

After that (which takes about 5-10 minutes), I either (a) work through a GT lesson or I work on a song that pushes me. I am currently working on Yes' song "Roundabout." It is challenging, but I am enjoying the journey learning it.

I'm also trying to learn Dave Matthews' song: "stream" which is all instrumental and John Prine's "Angel from MOntogomery."

Songs I have learned include: The Beatles, "Blackbird," The Indigo Girls "Closer to FIne," SImon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SIlence," and Bonnie Raitt's "Thing called Love."

I end practice with a backing track of drums and rhythm guitar and just play over it-improv style. Just because it is fun.

How about you?

[/quote]

[quote=Sasha-B]

[br]After that (which takes about 5-10 minutes), I either (a) work through a GT lesson or I work on a song that pushes me. I am currently working on Yes' song "Roundabout." It is challenging, but I am enjoying the journey learning it.

[br]I'm also trying to learn Dave Matthews' song: "stream" which is all instrumental and John Prine's "Angel from MOntogomery."

[br]Songs I have learned include: The Beatles, "Blackbird," The Indigo Girls "Closer to FIne," SImon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SIlence," and Bonnie Raitt's "Thing called Love."

[br]I end practice with a backing track of drums and rhythm guitar and just play over it-improv style. Just because it is fun.

[br]How about you?

[br]

[p]

I practice the following at least: spider legs , crazy chromatic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TdEszM1u0), pentatonic, a major scale, open chords, hammer ons , pulls offs, slides, alternate picking, double stops en hammer ons while doing so(very hard for me atm). All at least a couple times a day. And also some freestyle on the penta.

[br]Must admin I know only sound of silence and the Beatles. But from what I can hear (checked them on Youtube) there are defenetly some challenging one's. Do you have an end goal (not really an end goal, but let's say : Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing). For how long have you been playing guitar?

I learned: Porcupine Tree - Shesmovedon, John Lennon - Imagine, Pink Floyd - wish you were here, and some riffs from Nirvana, part of Metallica - nothing else matters and enter sandman, sunshine of your love.

Trying to learn: buckethead - southsayer (intro goes pretty ok now), animals - rising sun, game of thrones theme.

# 7
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/02/2020 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: kecheng

How about you?

[/quote]

[quote=Sasha-B]

[br]After that (which takes about 5-10 minutes), I either (a) work through a GT lesson or I work on a song that pushes me. I am currently working on Yes' song "Roundabout." It is challenging, but I am enjoying the journey learning it.

[br]I'm also trying to learn Dave Matthews' song: "stream" which is all instrumental and John Prine's "Angel from MOntogomery."

[br]Songs I have learned include: The Beatles, "Blackbird," The Indigo Girls "Closer to FIne," SImon & Garfunkel's "Sound of SIlence," and Bonnie Raitt's "Thing called Love."

[br]I end practice with a backing track of drums and rhythm guitar and just play over it-improv style. Just because it is fun.

[br]How about you?

[br]

[p]

I practice the following at least: spider legs , crazy chromatic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TdEszM1u0), pentatonic, a major scale, open chords, hammer ons , pulls offs, slides, alternate picking, double stops en hammer ons while doing so(very hard for me atm). All at least a couple times a day. And also some freestyle on the penta.

[br]Must admin I know only sound of silence and the Beatles. But from what I can hear (checked them on Youtube) there are defenetly some challenging one's. Do you have an end goal (not really an end goal, but let's say : Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing). For how long have you been playing guitar?

I learned: Porcupine Tree - Shesmovedon, John Lennon - Imagine, Pink Floyd - wish you were here, and some riffs from Nirvana, part of Metallica - nothing else matters and enter sandman, sunshine of your love.

Trying to learn: buckethead - southsayer (intro goes pretty ok now), animals - rising sun, game of thrones theme.

grear choices! The variety of music and learning to play it keeps me going and teaches me different skills. Or, just reinforces the skills (such as fingerpicking).

2021 Iris CH

# 8
kecheng
kecheng
10/04/2020 10:19 am

[/quote]

grear choices! The variety of music and learning to play it keeps me going and teaches me different skills. Or, just reinforces the skills (such as fingerpicking).

[/quote]

thanks! same here, although I find it challenging to find songs that are a bit too hard, but not impossible to learn (atm; or with bad technique).

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.