Acoustic steel string recommendations?

MartinPB
MartinPB
04/29/2020 11:10 pm

I recently got a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings for my electric guitar which seem excellent and am now looking at getting a new set for my acoustic and wanted some recommendations.

Are Ernie Ball strings the de facto standard these days or should I consider any other makes?

Is gauge a consideration on acoustics as much as on electrics?

What should I be looking out for?

Any and all advice gratefully received! :)

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
04/29/2020 11:36 pm
Originally Posted by: MartinPBIs gauge a consideration on acoustics as much as on electrics?[/quote]

Click here for your answer

[quote=MartinPB]Are Ernie Ball strings the de facto standard these days or should I consider any other makes?

No, & Yes.

Everyone has their string preference usually based upon a subliminally acquired emotional bias.

The objective fact is alternative brands abound in a range of type options e.g. gauges, construction materials & method, uncoated/coated some of which are D'Addario, Elixir, GHS, Alice, Curt Mangan, Martin, Fender among the ocean of available choice. They're all decent these days.

My preference is to buy in bulk and change often, so after intitially experimenting to discover they're all pretty good, I buy based upon price & sourcing convenience not marketing. But you really can't go wrong with any of the brands these days, including Ernie Ball although they're not my preferred choice for a couple of reasons. YMMV. Be adventurous. Try a few.

# 2
MartinPB
MartinPB
05/01/2020 2:09 pm

Thank you for the advice.

I've just purchased a set of D'Addario 85/15 Bronze which are much easier to play than the 40+ year old set I did have (I've been away from guitar playing that long but kept my guitars!) with a very bright, vibrant sound.

I went for the extra light gauge .010 - .050 as I have tendonitis in my left wrist, so anything to make it a bit easier!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.