Peavey Windsor Studio Amp

derektrimmer
derektrimmer
04/27/2020 2:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new to guitartricks and new to the forum. I own a Peavey Windsor Studio Amp. I bought it because the reviews read said it was good for the money. However, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to the "goodness" of it. I don't have a real sense for the sound (tone) of my guitar in terms of what you typically read about guitar sounds: muddy, bright, flat, smooth, crunchy. I feel very tone deaf when it comes to these terms.

Anyway, my question is that I have a Peavey Windsor Studio Amp and I'm working through the beginning stages of the Rock level 1 tutorials and it is telling me to turn up my "gain" knob.

This amp does not have a gain knob. It has two ports. One called "high gain" and the other "low gain." Obviously if I'm turning up the gain, I'll be using the high gain port, but is there some other way on this guitar to mess with all the other dials (preamp, bass, middle, treble, boost, and power sponge) to get a increased gain effect.

I'm also interested in understanding what is going on as I spin the other knobs on the amp. This might be more of a sound engineering question, but spinning those knobs just magically changes what I'm hearing coming out of the amp. Can someone explain in layman's terms what is changing as I spin bass, or treble or middle?

Thanks!

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
04/27/2020 6:03 pm

If I remember correctly the gain control on the Peavey Windsor is labelled "pre amp volume" and it's on the far left of the controlls you then also have a "master volume" to the far right.

Turn the pre amp volume up and the master volume down until you get the mix you like.

# 2
derektrimmer
derektrimmer
04/27/2020 6:22 pm

Thanks! As I was researching, what "gain" is, I started thinking that the pre-amp volume might be it. But I wasn't sure.

# 3
kammaybie
kammaybie
09/25/2023 6:57 am

The pre-amp volume controls the initial amplification of the incoming guitar or bass signal before it reaches other effects or the power amp section. Raising the pre-amp volume provides more gain and drive, resulting in a louder, thicker, and potentially more distorted tone.

geometry dash lite

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.