Beginner Difficulties

camjoly99
camjoly99
04/24/2020 8:20 pm

I have been trying to learn guitar for probably about a month now. I bought the CC-60s concert starter pack with the three free months of Fender Play and a bunch of other starter equipment like picks, strings, and a guitar strap. I am now on guitar tricks after two weeks of frustration with the fender play and am already learning a lot more. I am happy with my lessons but I do not think I am happy with the guitar. I bought it during quarentine so I couldn't go play it or ask questions about what guitar should be reccomended but I saw some reviews that this $200 guitar kit was good for beginners so I bought it. I am getting frustrated playing it and wanted some advice on what I should do. I know that since I am just starting out that I don't need an expensive guitar but is a $200 guitar a good one to learn on or should I try to sell it and get one in the $300-$400 range? I see a lot of people saying that you should wait to find out what you like to play or find your sound so should I just wait till I've gotten better to upgrade or will I have a rough time learning on this guitar? Thank you guys for any input in advance. I really appreciate it.

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/24/2020 9:11 pm

Hello and welcome,

I am a beginner as well, as there are many on here so I'll pass along the wisdom that has been given to me from the better players and instructors.

A $200 guitar is more than adequate for learning. What exactly is it that is fustrating? Is it comfort or sound? If it's comfort than yeah I can see where size or shape could hinder your playing, so get something that is comfortable for you. That means try as many as you can, but if it's sound then just a good set of light gauge strings and maybe a guitar setup is all you need. Do you have a tuner? Get one or download ones off app stores. I use one called Pano Tuner. It's free and it works just fine for my needs.

So unless your playing something that just doesn't fit you I would wait. For two reasons.

1. Your only learning so don't worry about tone so much. Your just trying to get those fingers moving and in shape to learn notes and chords shapes.

2. Not sure what part of the world your in, but most music stores are closed due to the pandemic so trying out guitars is kind of out of the question right now. I would wait this out and in mean time keep learning and practicing. As you gain more experience you'll know what appeals to you.

Moe

# 2
camjoly99
camjoly99
04/24/2020 9:47 pm

I think my biggest gripe with my guitar is the neck. My fingers have deep grooves in them after playing for even 15 minutes. I thought that after a month or so that would go away but it really hasn't. I tried to adjust the truss rod to maybe lower the action a little bit but that just caused the chords to buzz like crazy. I think that the lighter gauge strings would work. Do you know what kind of strings I should buy? I should probably go look at other peoples discussion about acoustic light gauge strings unless you were recomended some or had good ones in mind. Would a guitar setup have to be done at some kind of guitar store then? That wouldn't be possible for me because of the quarentine since I'm in the US. I do have a few apps on my phone to tune. My guitar gets out of tune very easily. I play for a half hour to an hour each day and have to tune it up every day.

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/24/2020 10:33 pm

Your fingers still need to develop calluses (sp). It will take a while. Lighter gauge strings are recommended for beginers, but I don't have any recommendations for you as to which brands. Most music stores have techs onsite you can call a few and ask them, but again due to quarantine very few open or done by appointment only. I know I just tried to call a few in my area to have mine looked at and most are backed up for weeks. I don't have a second guitar to practice with for that amount of time.

Moe

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
04/24/2020 10:46 pm

[u]First the guitar.[/u]

Problem isn't the Fender CC-60 per se, which isn't to say it isn't your guitar (how it's set up).

[br]Buying another different Concert acoustic even if it costs $1k won't alter a thing about the issue you're experiencing. [u]Acoustics are harder to fret[/u]. That's simply an unalterable characteristic which goes with the territory. All acoustics aren't equal, but that's nothing to do with price, rather design by intent. e.g. Yamaha AXP600 action accomplished through a combination of design scale length, bridge & saddle height, nut, radius, profile & string spacing. But that's another discussion entire.

[br][u]Now the fingertips[/u]

[br]Couple of tips. I'm not going to explain why, you'll just have to take it as gospel based upon experience.

-Don't press so hard. Classic beginner error. [u]We've all done it[/u].

-Fresh good condition strings are important. If in doubt, replace.

-Keep 'em clean (wipe down after) and your hands too before playing.

-[u]Use a string lube[/u]. Tone Finger Ease spray is superb, or Dunlop 65 String Conditioner and lube for a longer lasting contact applicator.

I'm not an advocate of stepping down from .12s it'll almost certainly be fitted with as a beginner pack guitar. They're [u]already light gauge[/u] strings. Of course you can if you want to but if you do, get a luthier to set up neck relief for you at the same time.

The truthful answer is that all you probably really need is to persevere in order to build hand and finger strength as well as fingertip resilience. Your join date shows the 21/04, that's approx 2 weeks. A little discomfort is normal for the first month or so, perhaps longer depending upon how much hands on your are putting in in that time. Work through it -sensibly.

[br][u]Tune[/u]. I don't own a CC-60 but I couldn't forsee Fender any more than any other Starter Pack manufacturer looking for fresh meat catchment to their brand fitting tuners so bad as to be constantly going out of tune. If not just old and worn out, which they won't be if a new guitar, causes could be junk quality strings (?) IDK what Fender fit OEM to their CC-60, you live in a wildly varying daily climate, or the strings aren't original fitment and whoever fitted a replacment set didn't pre-stretch them or wind them on the tuner mechs properly?

[br][u]Replacement strings[/u]. A million to choose from. Go with a profile brand. Elixir, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Curt Mangan, etc. If you must, step down to 11s perhaps? Personally I wouldn't go lower tension than that. I didn't need to step down at all and I'm no power twenty something any more or physical hulk. I just don't perceive it necessary from my experience except perhaps for children or a petite girl. Hand strength and tip resilience is simply something you will have to attain through hands on work. There's no avoiding it if you want to play guitar. Ref Tommy Emmanuel.

All the best.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.