Strings for Martin GPCPA4R

scottclarkmassey
scottclarkmassey
04/15/2020 6:14 pm

I'm a beginner. What strings should I use for my Martin GPCPA4R acoustic? Picks?

I have a strap, clamp on tuner and your lessons. What else do I need?

# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/16/2020 12:01 pm

For anyone that's been playing a long time, it all comes down to personal preference. Some will tell you heavy and some will tell you light. I would recommend trying to play both end of the spectrum to see what you prefer. I personally play Elixer strings on my acoustics. The "Light" set of strings are a good mid range. I say light because if you're playing a lot they're a bit easier on your fingers. Keep in mind though that the lighter the string the more brittle the tone may be. If it's an acoustic/electric and you play plugged in, you might notice a bit more treble and they may seem more jangly.

If you're looking for something more traditional, I usually hedge toward D'Addario bronze strings.

Picks are again preference. The lighter pick the lighter the attack. Light generally more used for strumming and heavier picks for picking solos and arpeggio type playing. I personally don't use a pick most of the time. Even on electric, I tend to finger pick or use my index finger as a pick... It's become part of my tone, I guess. When I do use a pick, I prefer Dunlop picks. The yellow ones. I can't remember the thickness. Google says 0.73 mm. They always felt good for both strumming and alternate picking.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.