What strings for Fender.

locket104
locket104
04/01/2020 1:38 pm

Hi, im new here wasnt sure where to post this so Hi :)

I am tring to restring my fender, its the first time I have restrung an electric guitar. I bought some Ernie Bell regular strings. I went to restring it and its a bit different to what I was expecting. I then looked into how to restring one which I should have done before I bought but nevermind. The guy I was watching on Yoube used fender strings, I saw a recomendation for Ernie Bell super slinky strings as well. Can I use these regular strings? Or should I go for one of the others? I looked on Amazon and I would nt be able to get any for 2 months lol anyway.

Any help appreciated Thanks Lucy.

# 1
GibsonLPSG
GibsonLPSG
04/01/2020 11:26 pm

Hi,

New here as well but been playing for a while. To answer your question, yes you can use the Regular Slinky that you have. You can use the Fenders, and you can use the Super Slinky.

You should experiment with different types of strings until you find a style you like. I've used Ernie Ball Super/Hybrid Slinky for a long time, just got a new Fender Strat and figured I'd give the Fender strings a go.

You should try different brands, and different guages (thickness of the string). Here's a decent article about the different types of strings out there that might be helpful:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/how-to-choose-the-right-strings-for-your-electric-guitar

But again to answer your question the strings you have are perfectly fine for your guitar. Go ahead and order some different strings, even if they take two months to get there. By then you'll have a good feel for the Regular Slinky and can compare to whatever you get.

Have fun exploring!

# 2
Herman10
Herman10
04/02/2020 11:49 pm

small warning here if you have a strat with whammy bar; if you're gonna replace your strings with thinner or thicker gauge as the ones it was originally then you have to readjust the guitar to that as in bridge hight, trusrod setting and action so look out with that.

As to what brand and type of strings entirely depends on what tone you are looking for, type of winding around the strings ( bronze, nickel etc ) and flat wound or round wound all make a difference in sound so experiment with different brands and types of strings. For me on my strat I use D"Adario's round wound bronze and sometimes I switch to Elexir strings only because of the nice feel they have; D'adario's become noisy when sliding over the strings.

Herman

# 3
locket104
locket104
04/03/2020 6:34 pm

Thanks for help really appreciate it.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.